Group Build Entry

Spad57

Good Morning ,

Here's my entry to this G/B.

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671-1-1.jpg

Not much to see as of yet just the easy part is done,the cutting and sanding.

IMG_0673.jpg

Now the real work begins.More to follow tomorrow hopefully.Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Morning All,

I got a little bit of work done ,so just a small update.

IMG_0678.jpg

First tape up to see how she looks.

IMG_0682.jpg

Cut the cowling vents and cockpit out.

IMG_0681.jpg

Also removed the molded super charger intake and dust filter.These are to be replaced from the spares box

Thanks for looking now go build your own Vac LOL.I'll post more later.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Edited by Spad57

Nick,

LOL yeah I know another Macchi,but I tossed a coin to decide whether it was going to be a Macchi or Fiat G.50 build.Guess the G.50 will wait awhile longer.As for the cowling vents I ploted them out with tape first then used a 1 mm. dia. drill bit to drill them out. After that it was simply clean the cuts up with a knife and a round file.The photo of the vents was the second run,the opposite side of the fuselage are not as neat.They're going to need a little reworking to look right.It's a good thing the fuselage shell is nice and thick.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Afternoon All,

Some more progress for today.

This first photo is of the fuselage halves stuffed with Tamiya Epoxy Putty. The putty will serve to act as a backup for reshaping the Macchi hump and eliminating some misplaced/incorrect details on the fuselage.Luckily the fuselages general outline isn't too far off,however most if not all the nose sections vent and scoops will need replacing.

IMG_0683.jpg

After allowing the putty to set and dry overnight I've begun the reshaping of the hump.Still not totally finished at this point,as I believe the final reshaping will require the fuselage halves to be joined.

IMG_0699.jpg

Now for a little scratch building.I've begun the preliminary work on the cockpit area,sidewalls ,floor, etc.Please forgive the poor quality of the photos as I seem to have difficulties photographing small details.

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0706-1.jpg

While in the scratch building mode I also fabricated the new radiator housing and radiator to replace the awful supplied version.Although I haven't gotten to it yet the same will need to be done for the oil cooler .

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

The radiator all by it's lonesome

IMG_0692.jpg

That's all for today folks.I hope you enjoy this continuing vac build sage.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Afternoon All,

I've got some more progress to report.Not big I'm afraid,as much of what's has been done this week has been very time consuming.Now on with todays update.

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

These two photos show how I closed off the cowling vents and the end results.This was by far the least time consuming as well as the easiest progress made all week.

IMG_0724.jpg

Also completed scratch built under nose oil cooler and the Macchi's instrument panel

Now the really fun part.I've begun scratch building the internal wing structure for the wheel bay and the engine bay.This seemed to go on forever with trying to get a good measurement for the main spar,not to mention countless do overs on my scratch built parts.Very much of a trial and error approach,but in the end all worked out well.

IMG_0714.jpg

This is the partial main spar which is to form the rear section of the wheel bay and part of the to be enclosed engine bay.

IMG_0716.jpg

Once I was happy with my main spar the internal wing reinforcements were added to the lower wing.

IMG_0718.jpg

As viewed from the underside.

IMG_0719.jpg

The forward bulkhead to enclose the engine bay as well as reinforce the wing to fuselage join.

IMG_0723.jpg

The final photos for today.Just a little bit of the pipes and tubing to be installed in the engine bay later on.

IMG_0721.jpg

I hope you enjoyed today small update.As always any and all commits welcomed and much appreciated.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Afternoon All,

I've got a little more progress to report.Since my last update I've been working on the Macchi's wings and landing gear.

IMG_0729.jpg

The assembled wing unit.Note the wing surfaces were full of pits,something new to me as I've never had this problem before.

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

Next up the landing gear and reinforced mounts.

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

The landing gear mounts and wheel bay floors attached to the main wing.

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

That's all for now and thanks for looking.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Morning All,

Here's another short update on my ID Models Macchi 202 project.The subject of todays update is the cockpit.Still lacking the weathering as that's todays project.I also plan to close the fuselage the afternoon.Thanks for looking and as always any and all commits are appreciated.

The cockpit floor and seat.Note the pilots harness is not installed,still under construction

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

Now the cockpit sidewalls.

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

That's all for now with more to follow.Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

• 1 month later...

Gregory, All I can say is that I am amazed & awestruct at your work thus far. The scratchbuilt items just blow my mind, particularly the cockpit. THANKS for the detailed posting, I'll keep watching till the end. Caqrl T :speak_cool: