• Announcements

• Mike

DDoS and Brute Force Attacks   09/18/2016

From the day following upgrade to the new forum software, 15th Sept until the 19th, we were under a concerted attack by a person or persons using a number of 'bots and other people's Proxy networks to carry out what is called a Distributed Denial of Service attack, which is a method by which these 'bots submit thousands of requests to the website per second to overload the server and bring the site to its knees.  While this was going on, they were also making Brute Force attacks on our remote communications port to try and breach the server so they could do anything from format the hard drives to change ownership of the site, and bombarding the mailserver with similar bogus requests, some of which left some rather telling details behind.  This was followed up a couple of days later with a further attack that left more data to sift through, which we have passed on to our IT forensics people.On the advice of our Lawyer and fellow member JohnT, we yesterday informed the National Crime Agency and requested their assistance with the matter, and in an ongoing dialogue with them to find the culprits, so we are allowing them access to the server and its logs.    We don't believe that this is a random attack on balance, but for 5 days and a further evening we had to put up with some disturbance and interruption to the usually fast response of the website as we are seeing now that the attack has ended.  We will prevail, and don't worry about it.  We were the target, and these people will not win.  Karma will catch up with them   Mike, Greg, Dave & Julien.
theplasticsurgeon

Rareplane Meteor F8

43 posts in this topic

Pic of the kit sheet:

MeteorVac002-1.jpg

I've got a canopy from the Xtrakit F8, Undercarriage from Airfix Meteor, and leftover decals from every other Meteor I can find.

Intending to build this baby - that's currently rotting away at Staverton.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Gloster-Meteor-F8/0207850/M/

Ooh - that takes me back!

I think it was the second vac I built (first being the Aircomet - and the third the Pucara - also from Rareplanes). Must have been 1981/82 - ish...

It's a very nice model IMHO - and Rareplanes were about the best vacs available back then...

I'll be watching this one out of nostalgia!

Iain

That looks pretty good on the sheet. Shame about the vacformed wheels & struts though... usually doesn't end well :S Might be worth trying to source some alternatives, or getting some wheels & making the struts from brass tube in case they turn out pants :)

Might be worth trying to source some alternatives, or getting some wheels & making the struts from brass tube in case they turn out pants :)

Later editions (I have one stashed) came with white metal seat and undercart. John Aero had the undercart bits in his wonderful catalogue, they are probably still available.

Just had a look and yes, the undercart set is still in the Aeroclub catalogue.

peebeep

Later editions (I have one stashed) came with white metal seat and undercart. John Aero had the undercart bits in his wonderful catalogue, they are probably still available.

Not this one.

I've already sourced undercarriage from an Airfix kit, and drop tanks from Matchbox.

I cut out the major components earlier today. I was catering at my Archery Club - and THIS generated a LOT of interest!

MeteorVac.jpg

I've gone all wobbly at the knees Tim......that's one of my old man's mounts back at Binbrook. I trust that you'll be doing 364 in her proper 85 markings

The first time I got re-aquainted is when it was a gate guardian at Kemble, it's a shame that it's in such a state at Staverton.

Good luck with the build squire, I'll be watching with more than a little passing interest!

Rich

I've gone all wobbly at the knees Tim......that's one of my old man's mounts back at Binbrook. I trust that you'll be doing 364 in her proper 85 markings

Is that '85 markings' - as in these 85 Sqdn as in these type markings - which I have in spares?

MatchboxMeteorComplete.jpg

That would make the markings a LOT easier.

Yup, that's them......the same one's as on the kit packing pictures!

Yup, that's them......the same one's as on the kit packing pictures!

I didn't spot the same number.

Excellent - that makes things much easier for the markings.

One for you Rich!

I've just done some more work on this kit.

I've sanded the fuselage components and added locating tabs. I've painted the cockpit interior components black - and hope to give you photos tomorrow.

I've also dug an ejection set out of my spares - don't know what it was from, but it will have more detail than the kit seat.

I remember building one of these and finishing it in 43 Sqdn markings twenty-odd years ago. Well worth the effort to build.

John

A bit more sanding last night on the horizontal surfaces, and I've assembled the wings and tails.

Here all the major bits, prior to cleaning up (later this weekend).

Meteor_bits.jpg

No real progress this weekend.

I did find a book titled Jet Fighters, with a huge picture of WH364 though.

Sale in a second-hand book shop, it cost me a whole pound.

Pic of 364 is very similar to this http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Gl...r-F8/0266863/M/,

BUT the people in the background are in slightly different places, and is a bit closer to the front of the aircraft.

After a break of far too long - today I fixed the flying surfaces in place.

There is a paperclip spar running through the wings.

Meteor002.jpg

I'm not convinced this model is completely square - but now the filling can commence.

After a break of far too long - today I fixed the flying surfaces in place.

There is a paperclip spar running through the wings.

Meteor002.jpg

I'm not convinced this model is completely square - but now the filling can commence.

Nice to see this making progress Tim.

A bit more progress!

I trimmed and installed the canopy - here it is masked. I tried the Xtrakit spare canopy, but it doesnt fit.

Meteor.jpg

Today I airbrushed it with varnish, and rubbed on silver powder. Her it is resting in my paint workshop (shed).

Meteor001-1.jpg