VC-10 Super 200

JEE3

scan0001-1.jpg

About 10 years ago, I started plans to build a 1/144 model of the original Super VC-10 (1958-59) after seeing this photo in the Scott Henderson book. I bought 2 Novo Super VC-10's and figured out I would add 13 windows ahead of the wing and 4 behind to get close to the correct length. I plan to use a set of 1/72 wing tip fuel tanks from an A-37. Originally I was going to use 3 Micro-Scale Mexicana Comet decals for markings but I later purchased the 2 Max Decal set for Aerlinte Eireann-Irish Airlines. Since I've been away on the military modeling side for a while, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for some newer decals that may have come out in the past few years that would look appropriate! The markings would be from the 1958-60 era and there was a proposal for a freighter version with a hinged nose so a freight airline decal could also be used!

Thanks!

John3

scan0001-1.jpg

About 10 years ago, I started plans to build a 1/144 model of the original Super VC-10 (1958-59) after seeing this photo in the Scott Henderson book. I bought 2 Novo Super VC-10's and figured out I would add 13 windows ahead of the wing and 4 behind to get close to the correct length. I plan to use a set of 1/72 wing tip fuel tanks from an A-37. Originally I was going to use 3 Micro-Scale Mexicana Comet decals for markings but I later purchased the 2 Max Decal set for Aerlinte Eireann-Irish Airlines. Since I've been away on the military modeling side for a while, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for some newer decals that may have come out in the past few years that would look appropriate! The markings would be from the 1958-60 era and there was a proposal for a freighter version with a hinged nose so a freight airline decal could also be used!

Thanks!

John3

Wow! never seen that one before - good luck.

S&M are about the only people making VC-10 decals at the moment - I used a British Airways set on this project:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=178434

Wow! never seen that one before - good luck.

S&M are about the only people making VC-10 decals at the moment - I used a British Airways set on this project:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=178434

Twosix decals have also madw some. Currently the BOAC option is sold out but hopefully they will reprint. They are superb decals.

Tony :clif:

Twosix decals have also madw some. Currently the BOAC option is sold out but hopefully they will reprint. They are superb decals.

Tony :clif:

Hi Tony.

The BOAC sheet (STS4413) is now back in stock :)

All the best

Ray

Thanks for the input.....I was thinking more of a Flights-Of-Fancy VC-10 Super 200. I could adapt the decals to the model, even though the sheet(s) might be for a different airplane. For example: combine the Max Decal Aerlinte Eireann L-1049 titles with the Irish 720 window stripes! I know it's more expensive this way but it's more fun also...Feel free to throw out some ideas for airlines of the late 50's-early 60's that should have been interested in the largest and longest non-stop (4,800 mi.) jet at the time (1958-59)! One reason I usually stay on the military side is the Gloss White! I have so much trouble with the "Orange Peel Effect". I have a friend that uses automotive aerosol paint on his model cars because they dry very fast. Can it be done in one coat or do you do light coats and light sanding in between? Do you have better luck with Can or Airbrush?

Thanks

scan0007-2.jpg John3

Edited by JEE3

...................One reason I usually stay on the military side is the Gloss White! I have so much trouble with the "Orange Peel Effect".

If you want to do a Flight of Fantasy AND avoid gloss white - why not try a 'What-If' Braniff scheme like one of these:

braniffdecalsreviewbg_1.jpg

or if you prefer UK airlines, try Court Lines

0689282.jpg

David

Thanks for the ideas....I found in my Decal box some old ATP TWA Starliner sheets. Those would be correct for the time frame 1958-59. I would have to get over my "Gloss White Phobia" for that one! If I did Braniff I'd have to use the One-Eleven delivery scheme, which would look great on a VC-10 Super200! I think someone makes that scheme in a 707-220. scan0012.jpg If you think of any more just put em' in a posting. Its too bad that politics got in the way....the Super 200 would have been beaten all of the long distance competitors for capacity and non-stop range. I'll start keeping a list of possible schemes and the Decal sheets. So far; Airlinte Eireann L-1049/Irish 720 (Max) TWA Starliner (ATP) Braniff 707-220 (?) Pan American 707/DC-8 (?). Please keep the ideas coming!

Thanks!

John3

I have been using car aerosol sprays with great success. I last tried acrylic gloss white by Simoniz, but this reacted with other paints when painting over it, so steer clear if you are impatient like me ! Best stuff so far is Halfords Appliance Gloss white, excellent stuff and dries very quick. If you are spraying it over enamels though, ensure they are completely dry first to avoid a reaction.

By the way, I have only just got back into airliner modeling as I too had a gloss white phobia from a disasterous DC-10 attempt as a kid. Halfords have helped me to overcome that phobia and I am now investing in my refurbished hobby to my missus delight !!!!!

By the way, I have only just got back into airliner modeling as I too had a gloss white phobia from a disasterous DC-10 attempt as a kid. Halfords have helped me to overcome that phobia and I am now investing in my refurbished hobby to my missus delight !!!!!

Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!

Wait until Saturday Neil.

That will put the cat among the pigeons :evil_laugh:

Chris.

When I do gloss white, either on airliner or cars I airbrush matt white & then clear coat it. Either with a couple of brushed on coats of Klear (for aircraft models), or airbrushed clear coat for cars. Much easier than spraying gloss paint - for me at least!

Keef

Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!

Wait until Saturday Neil.

That will put the cat among the pigeons :evil_laugh:

Chris.

LOL,

She's given up on me now !!!!!!!

Sad to the core !

When I do gloss white, either on airliner or cars I airbrush matt white & then clear coat it. Either with a couple of brushed on coats of Klear (for aircraft models), or airbrushed clear coat for cars. Much easier than spraying gloss paint - for me at least!

Keef

Lots of thin coats are the way to go and a few rub downs with 1200 wet n dry to remove any debris that finds it's way in.

Keef

I was wondering about that( Flat spray-then Clear Gloss)! I did a NASCAR Ford like that one time.....Spraying gloss paint must be one of those things in life....you either can do it or you can't! People that can do it make it look so easy..I doubt after 30 years I'm going to all of a sudden be able to do a Gloss paint job w/o "Orange Peel"! A few years into my job (police Officer), they said we had to be trained as First Responders. Co-workers used to say "Oh you'll get used to it"! From the day we started till the day I retired, I never got comfortable with that. Either you're good at it or you're just passable......

John3

Edited by JEE3