"Teasin Tina"

Well as everyone probably knows by now there was a slightly hiccup with Teasin Tina`s fast taxi at the Cold War jets day at Bruntingthorpe the other Sunday and i was fortunate to capture so shots of this event hope you all enjoy i know she was the star of the show for me but i`m of course biased

Lifting the nose a touch

Victor.jpg

Lifting a touch more

Victor1-1.jpg

Then maybe a touch too much lift!

Victor2-1.jpg

Victor3-1.jpg

Victor4.jpg

Victor5.jpg

Victor6.jpg

The best shot i could get of touch down from where i was

Victor7.jpg

And finally being towed back down the runway

Victor8.jpg

lucky git!

but thanks for posting.

there are some VERY GOOD photos here, so well done.

my favorite is the third photo. never seen a victor photographed like that before.

hmm, has anyone any gen or wot on what the rest of the aviation world thinks about the hiccup?

[i decided to wait a few days before asking the above, btw]

Edited by Howard of Effingham

YOU'LL BE A RICH MAN WITH THOSE :lol:

SOME OF MINE FROM THE TOP END SHOWS HOW FAR OVER IT WENT

be2aedcc.jpg

9ef90f08.jpg

188b0063.jpg

7ed56b49.jpg

SHOWS HOW FAR DOWN THE RUNWAY IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED AS THESE WERE TAKEN WITH A 500MM LENSE.

Armadillos - great pics!

Having grown up at Marham through the 70s and 80s and with a front row house, I'm a great fan of the Victor and would love nothing more than to see one flying again - even at the expense of the Vulcan! I Know "burn the heretic!!" There now, I've said it!

Anyhoo, now to the question, from Andy's pics it looks like they put her back down on the grass! Really? Does anybody know if there was any damage to the gear?

Also, looking at Armadillos pics it looks like they were asking for it - they did the run with T/O flap set (Why!?!) and also with no brake chute packed. I did hear somewhere that the throttles jammed - maybe had the friction done up too tight?

Whatever else, good to see she still wants to fly and excellent pix :thumbsup:

cheers

Rick

Spad,

This is from the horses mouth, taken from a thread on Keypublishings forum......

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthrea...061#post1407061

The gent who has registered and posted is the pilot who was in command of XM715 on the day she took to the air inadvertantly......

For all you hawk eyed people, here is how the pictures show the truth.

Firstly, the bod lying down was on the other side of the runway taking pics - not sure if he threw himself down or was going for a low picture angle! But I believe he was an officially authorised photographer.

There is no question of the crew getting into the aircraft planning to get airborne, exactly the opposite. The pictures showing the power being on when it was in the initial climb are spot on. Full take-off power was not being used, only cruise power, and thank heavens the throttles were not closed on the ground or any sooner than they were. As it was, the aircraft was still accelerating furiously, and that gave the Victor flying speed as it was becoming airborne, not rearing up on thrust vector alone.

Visibility from the cockpit is very restricted apart from straight ahead. As I pushed the nose down, I went from seeing only blue sky, to a panoramic view of the runway and a lot of grass. The wind had lifted the stbd wing, and taken the aircraft well to the left of the runway. At that point I thought we had had it - just to tent peg into the ground, and for a fraction of a second I considered going for full power, a climb and circuit. But then I felt the aircraft was "flying", it responded to my inputs, and the runway was reachable and long enough. My priority then was to keep the speed up - no airbrakes, maintain control, and complete a landing albeit initially on the grass.

I have snapshot visions of things, and most of my reactions were totally instinctive, but I would love to see a video to give my memory a "real time" dimension.

Didn't she look great in the air - 15 years since she last flew, and would you believe it - 28 years since I did my last operational trip in her!! How I wish we could do it all properly for real!! "Fred's Sheds" may have built hand crafted aircraft, and BAe may have "spoilt" them in the K2 conversions, but the Victor was the longest serving V Bomber, and is still the Rolls Royce in my mind. From cockpit comfort, to sophisticated aerodynamics that gave it a performance well ahead of the Tin whatsit thing....were the mega-millions well spent? Could we raise such a sum and capitalise on the Triangle experience?

Bob

He also posted this in reply to what the throttle settings are during a fast taxi at Bruntingthorpe....

Thanks everyone for all those appreciative words - I am still shaking a bit!

Victor SOP was to line up and hold the aircraft on the brakes to 88% engine RPM to prove the brakes would hold, then roll opening up to "Full Power" applied by the co-pilot. Full power was throttles fully forward, but in fact the engine RPM - and more importantly the Jet Pipe Temps (JPTs), were then under control of the engine JPT controllers. There are three settings for the JPT controllers: Take Off, Climb, and Cruise. Take Off limits were if I remember correctly 103.5 % RPM, and 685 degrees. Climb and cruise are significantly reduced from the Take Off limits giving much lower thrust. This is an old aircraft, very light, and although Take Off power was used some years ago, since I arrived, I only use "Cruise" as it is quite sufficient to show how the aircraft accelerates "off the blocks" as she would for a full power scramble, and hopefully it reduces the stress on the Conways.

Maybe this answers some of your questions?,

JB.

Thanks for that John

doesn't explain why they set T/O flap though, does it? I wasn't suggesting they would plan it, far from it - my father was Victor tanker aircrew for 16 years and I know them to be extremely professional (and read sensible) fellows who would know the implications of such a cavalier act. So I know it wasn't planned. I just don't understand why they would set flap on a lightly loaded Mk2 - the difference between VR and lift-off is neglible as the beastie accelerates so fast!

Either way, a great save for what must have been a bit of a shocker for the crew.

Sorry to go on - got a bit carried away there so just for interest - this is the view I used to get from the bedroom window - ah what memories!

B-52Marhamnavnbomb77-sharpened.jpg

cheers

Rick

Thanks for that John

doesn't explain why they set T/O flap though, does it? I wasn't suggesting they would plan it, far from it - my father was Victor tanker aircrew for 16 years and I know them to be extremely professional (and read sensible) fellows who would know the implications of such a cavalier act. So I know it wasn't planned. I just don't understand why they would set flap on a lightly loaded Mk2 - the difference between VR and lift-off is neglible as the beastie accelerates so fast!

Either way, a great save for what must have been a bit of a shocker for the crew.

Sorry to go on - got a bit carried away there so just for interest - this is the view I used to get from the bedroom window - ah what memories!

cheers

Rick

Takes me back to when I was a Crew Chief on 57 Squadron at the same time any more photos of that era?

Well for those who are Victor lovers then an event is being planned at Elvingon with "Lindy" we had a nightshoot back in Mrach which was the first and feedback has encouraged everyone including the museum guys to organise something abit more this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Some good points in the thread, good to read what the pilot said,

Anyone know if they got into trouble from the CAA?

Julien

cheers

Rick

Wow! that photo is so cool, grey/green victors and a SAC B-52!

Julien

Great photo's, it was a remarkable event to witness, unfortunately I stopped videoing just before the 'hop', but was watching through powerful bins!!.Like others I feared the worst when she veered off to the left , starboard wing high over the grass, disappearing over the 'hump', thank goodness for Bruntingthorpes 9,842 ft runway !! . Due to the consumate skill of pilot Bob Prothero, (a former Victor captain with vast experience on the aircraft), the lives of the 'crew' and the aircraft were saved...amazing skill.

The Victor was always very willing to fly and this event proved the incredible soundness of the design and strength of the airframe.... a nice reply from Bob understated as ever...

Edited by general melchett