CA 1/48 Canberra B.20

On the night of 3 November, 1970, "A84-231" (radio call sign 'Magpie 91') failed to return from a night Skyspot mission in support of ARVN forces in South Vietnam. Missions of this type were, by this time, being flown only infrequently by Australian personnel. After the G.A.F. Canberra B.20 crewed by Flying Officer Michael Herbert and Pilot Officer Robert Carver had delivered their six 750 pound bombs in a single salvo with instantaneous fusing, the ground station then came on the air to give the crew a brief description of the target they had engaged, and to tell them that their performance had been excellent. Flying Officer Herbert acknowledged this message, before signing off from the FACs control and switching tactical frequency in the usual manner for the return flight to Phan Rang.

The American radar facility at Udorn in Thailand, which had been tracking the Canberra as it maintained a steady course on a heading of 120 degrees magnetic, indicated that contact had been lost at 8.22 p.m. when the aircraft abruptly disappeared off screen apparently just moments after Herbert's last message.

Despite an intensive search lasting three days by Australian and American aircrew no trace of the Canberra or the crew was ever found, that is until April of this year when pieces of the aircraft and some of the crews effects were recovered bring to an end the mystery of the last two missing Aussies in Vietnam.

FLGOFFHerbert_320.jpgPLTOFFCarver_320.jpg

Michael Herbert & Robert Carver

RAAF_2A84_231.jpg

This build is the Classic Airframes kit of the equally classic Canberra B.20 as assembled by the Australian Govt Aircraft Factory (GAF) in the markings of A84-231, bombed up the way she would have been all those years ago.

Edited by darson

The ingredients for this build are going to be pretty straight forward, first up of course we have the Classic Airframes Canberra kit (box looking slightly worse for wear)

CanberraB20_1.jpg

Next up we have Aussie Decals set no 48039 which includes the markings for the bird I want but doesn't actually show them on the instruction sheet, oh well.

CanberraB20_2.jpg

Last but certainly not least are the Pete's Hangar wingtip hard points and ordinance for the Vietnam era Canberra's. From what I have read the wing tip fuel tanks were not required due to the relatively small distances being covered.

CanberraB20_3.jpg

CanberraB20_4.jpg

More to come soon.

Nice one Darren,

People seem to be going Canberra Crazy! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim and you are dead right on that score. By the way I'm keeping a close eye on your Canberra build at the moment.

Cheers

A fitting tribute build squire.

Time to pull up a comfy chair ready for more entertainment courtesy of English Electric :popcorn:

Good luck.

Rich R

Now I like this build Darren.

Honouring 2 dear departed soles in service of their country. :poppy:

I would be intersted to learn more of the recent 'discovery' and aparent closure on this story that you noted at the start of this tread?

Didn't realise also the 'Pete's Hangar' bits either.

Will not trivialise this build with the usual 'popcorn' smilies.

I will however respectfully follow this 'dedicated' build Darren.

Adrian

Now I like this build Darren.

Honouring 2 dear departed soles in service of their country. :poppy:

I would be intersted to learn more of the recent 'discovery' and aparent closure on this story that you noted at the start of this tread?

Didn't realise also the 'Pete's Hangar' bits either.

Will not trivialise this build with the usual 'popcorn' smilies.

I will however respectfully follow this 'dedicated' build Darren.

Adrian

I object to the intimation that I am trivialising this thread which is not the case as 'intimated' in my opening statement. I have a deep respect for all deceased pilots (including my father)

I will enjoy watching the build.....lighten up!

Thanks a lot for the words of encouragement guys I appreciate it. I have actually started construction already so I will post some more photos tonight when I get home from work.

The Pete's Hangar parts are very nice but are incredibly delicate so I will have to really be careful cleaning and attaching them to the wing.

Adrian, here are a couple of links to the finding of A84-231s final resting place

Image Gallery

ADF Media Release

In terms of finding the crews remains, I have read that some of the wreckage has washed down into the creek line due to monsoonal rainfall so factoring in that and wild animals, esp wild pigs who can remove all trace of human remains quickly and thoroughly the chances of finding the crew are not high.

Cheers

Here's the first instalment of construction photos on the Canberra.

Job No1 was to attach the nose sections to their respective fuselage halves. I was pleased to say that this job went off without a hitch and only required a thin line of Gunze Mr Dissolved Putty (Don't blame me I didn't name it) to fill the small portion of seam followed by a quick wet sand to finish the job. I plan on doing any re-scribing in one hit so these panel lines will be see too once I've completed the wings. By the way this may look a mess in closeup but it's actually smooth as a baby's bum.

CanberraB20_6.jpg

One thing I've got to say is that this is one large aircraft in 48th scale!

CanberraB20_5.jpg

Thanks for looking and any feedback or critiques are gratefully accepted.

Cheers

I object to the intimation that I am trivialising this thread which is not the case as 'intimated' in my opening statement. I have a deep respect for all deceased pilots (including my father)

I will enjoy watching the build.....lighten up!

Sorry Darren

Somewhere have wires crossed?

I never intended offence with my comment 'trivialise'. When most on here look forward to a build the popcorn 'smilie appears as an I'm watching this.

I was looking forward to this build as it has a very poignant story behind it.

Adrian

Sorry Darren

I never intended offence with my comment 'trivialise'. When most on here look forward to a build the popcorn 'smilie appears as an I'm watching this.

Adrian

No problem whatsoever Adrian, I'm looking forward to it too.

Rich R

Sorry Darren

Adrian

Absolutley no offense taken Adrian and while my build is a tribute to the crew who gave their lives for their country I still intend to have some fun while building the kit.

Cheers