CVF is go..

AntPhillips

I'm not holding my breath - the orders haven't been placed yet. And CVA-01 was under construction when scrapped. Mind you, final assembly will be about three miles from here! Unless they are building a new bridge!

Edited by Dave Fleming

As Dave said, I'll be happier when the keels are laid ;)

Nothing against HMS Queen Elizabeth, but Ark Royal would have been so much better for the other one :wub:

Sweet for the RN, But will they have the sailors to man these new ships, isnt that the reason why one of them is tied up in pompy because they dont have the crews??? :hmmm:

NZ have just bought a whole lot of new ships (7 in total) and they needed another 700 sailors to man these ships, they are really struggling to man them, they keep sending my folks letters seeing if i want to

See what my old friends are up too and you thought about the naval reserve?
Yeah Right :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: You know what NAVY stands for "Never Again Volunteer Yourself"

Ha,Ha lion without teeth-those F-35 won't be available til well after ops date

There was a well informed piece of journalism in the Mail on Sunday that BAe has already started work modifying the Typhoon for carrier operations after the Royal Navy supposedly rejected Rafale.

MOD has finally confirmed the order for the 2 new CVF carriers :

BBC News story

I would have preferred traditional carrier names but at least HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales have a bit of history.

Better names would have been (in no particular order)

Eagle

Hermes

Indomitable

Formidable

Indefatigable

Implacable

Furious

Audacity

When I heard what the names were it sounded like someone is looking for a knighthood.

Stephen

Better names would have been (in no particular order)

Eagle

Hermes

Indomitable

Formidable

Indefatigable

Implacable

Furious

Audacity

When I heard what the names were it sounded like someone is looking for a knighthood.

Stephen

Are you allowed to use names like that these days - with the exception of the first two there's a risk they might frighten the other side.

Edited by Richard E

Are you allowed to use names like that these days - with the exception of the first two there's a risk they might frighten the other side.

Ther was once a time when all it took to frighten the other side was "Royal Navy"

Stephen

There was a well informed piece of journalism in the Mail on Sunday that BAe has already started work modifying the Typhoon for carrier operations after the Royal Navy supposedly rejected Rafale.

Nationalism standing in the way of common sense? If the carriers will be built in cooperation with the French, then they will make sure that the Rafale fits. the Typhoon was never developed as a naval aircraft, wheras the Rafale was...if the Royal Navy rejects the Rafale then I would like to know why...

Jens

Nationalism standing in the way of common sense? If the carriers will be built in cooperation with the French, then they will make sure that the Rafale fits. the Typhoon was never developed as a naval aircraft, wheras the Rafale was...if the Royal Navy rejects the Rafale then I would like to know why...

Jens

Wrong Answer!-look what they did with the Hawk!

it becameT45 Goshawk :chair:

Jens

:popcorn:

Edited by Richard E

Jens

Actually, Rafale was avariant- not a direct development

So the navalised Rafale is good to go. The navalised Typhoon is "in developement", how much was it going to cost just to lose the gun? 70 million? How much is it going to cost to alter the Typhoon just so we don't buy an off the shelf French product? Plus the French don't seem to have a problem selling it to anyone, or providing technical support. Unlike our closest ally!

Best

Rich

Yes but the T-45 is practically a new aircraft compared to the original Hawk.Bigger fin, different wings,strengthened fuselage.

Stephen