1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

I knew I was slow ......... but I suppose it is BIG.

So we have to wait for summer before it moves on.

Just wish I fancied building aircraft again ................

'V'

• 3 weeks later...

Iain, stop hosting Group Builds and commenting on other's modelling. Let's see this one finished!

Guess I'd better extract a digit again then!

Forget all of that, just get your finger out!

;)

You have been on this one almost as long as I have been an IPMS member, and thats nearly forever! Get a move on :whip: Well, you did say to nag you! :tease:

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
You just had to rattle the cage, didn't you! ;)

Been busy on lots of other stuff - including some mag work.

There will be an update soooon - promise! :)

Iain

I am following your tepid progress on this project with some fascination. I flew these beasts (EC-121k/M, WC-121N, C-121J) during the Cold War in the Western Pacific. In the Navy we called them "Willys" which was short for Willy Victor (WV-2) the phonetic alphabet in the 1950s. I flew the last of these in the early 1970s before they were replaced by the EP-3. I'm including an image of my aircraft, PR27 an EC-121M assigned to VQ-1 on Agana, Guam. Notice no wing tip tanks - the plane was too heavy to accomodate them. There are whip antennas on the wing tips instead. Please get a move on, lad. I'm not getting any younger.143186(PR27)EC-121M-1069.jpg

• Like 1

Brilliant! B)

(am deeply envious!)

I've actually spent more time than is probably healthy over on the Willy Victor site - some great photo's - and it adds a lot of interest to me to read about the personal side of operating these birds.

As said in earlier posts - Mia Culpa - there *will* be some updates in very near future - actually on engines this evening...

I've had to concentrate on a few of other projects recently - but this one's still very much alive! :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

I am following your tepid progress on this project with some fascination. I flew these beasts (EC-121k/M, WC-121N, C-121J) during the Cold War in the Western Pacific. In the Navy we called them "Willys" which was short for Willy Victor (WV-2) the phonetic alphabet in the 1950s. I flew the last of these in the early 1970s before they were replaced by the EP-3. I'm including an image of my aircraft, PR27 an EC-121M assigned to VQ-1 on Agana, Guam. Notice no wing tip tanks - the plane was too heavy to accomodate them. There are whip antennas on the wing tips instead. Please get a move on, lad. I'm not getting any younger.143186(PR27)EC-121M-1069.jpg

This is THE best introductory post I have ever read. EVER.

:worthy: well done Lt Dayan and welcome!

Ltdayan thwelcome.gif to the group.

your experiences with the Willy V will be crucial as this mega-lithe is progressing. You'll be able to advise on how best to taunt Iain.( :devil: )

......................mumble under breath---- IF we ever get another photograph of any kind of progress getsmileyCAS2JLY0.gif

Iain: roll.gif just kidding

Erm - anyone know how I can delete a whole thread? ;)

No photies this week - am away from home dog sitting so don't have camera here - but I *will* post an update next weekend - promise!

And - yes - high time I cracked on with her...

Iain

Itdayan, whilst we are waiting for Iain to provide us with some update photos, are you able to expand a little on your story for us. What crew position were you on the EC-121M's at Guam? What sort of missions did you fly, can you tell us? Were they AEW or Recon sorties and whre abouts exactly were they?

Those on here who know me will know why I'm asking for details as I'm currently writing a book on the history of AEW&C and the next chapter I have to write is about WV-1's and WV-2's and the "Barrier". I'm guessing that if your Willy Victors were repalced by Aries P-3's then you were "listening and watching" .

Please fill us in if you are allowed.

Cheers

Ian

(If you look further back in the thread you will see my Triple Nickel model) I've seen Ian's and it dwarfs mine!

Itdayan, whilst we are waiting for Iain to provide us with some update photos, are you able to expand a little on your story for us. What crew position were you on the EC-121M's at Guam? What sort of missions did you fly, can you tell us? Were they AEW or Recon sorties and whre abouts exactly were they?

Those on here who know me will know why I'm asking for details as I'm currently writing a book on the history of AEW&C and the next chapter I have to write is about WV-1's and WV-2's and the "Barrier". I'm guessing that if your Willy Victors were repalced by Aries P-3's then you were "listening and watching" .

Please fill us in if you are allowed.

Cheers

Ian

(If you look further back in the thread you will see my Triple Nickel model) I've seen Ian's and it dwarfs mine!

At the risk of boring you all to tears, here's a start. I was a pilot (Nasal Radiator) and mission commander in two Willy Victor squadrons from 1970 through 1972; VW-1 and VQ-1 both based in Agana, Guam. VW-1's mission was two-fold; airborne early warning in the Gulf of Tonkin in support of Seventh Fleet operations (EC-121K) and weather reconnaissance in support of the Naval Weather Service (WC-121N). Remember that this was an era before weather satellites so we penetrated typhoons and tropical storms at low-level (800-1000') at night. Sometimes it was an E-Ticket ride. The WC-121N was modified specifically for the weather mission. It had a three foot diameter blister installed on the port side just aft of the wing where a flight meteorologist sat and observed the surface winds. It was his job to keep the relative wind thirty degrees ahead of the port wing as we penetrated a storm. Crew sizes for these two missions ranged from ten to eighteen people.

In the summer of 1971 VW-1 was decommissioned and recombined with VQ-1. VQ-1 moved from Atsugi, Japan to Guam and maintained two permanent detachments; one in Danang, RVN and the other at Atsugi. The VQ mission was and is signals intelligence collection and analysis. Our VQ Willys were EC-121Ms and were specialized variants of the type. They were very heavy aircraft. The fuselage was packed with electronics and the cabin was almost always hot. Crew size was from 28 to 32 people. Distinguishing features of the EC-121M are: no tip tanks and two turbine powered APUs on the starboard side of the empennage. These were necessary to power all of the electronics gear we carried. In Vietnam we flew missions to support Seventh Fleet strike operations. Elsewhere we flew PARPRO (Peacetime Aerial Reconnaissance PROgram) missions in support of National tasking. The PARPRO missions were very interesting because we were able to observe the operations of the Soviet PACAF and Navy real-time.

A final note: VQ-1 lost two EC-121s in 1969. One, PR21, was shot down off the coast of North Korea on April 15. All 31 crew were lost. The other, PR22, was lost in a landing accident at Danang, RVN. Six of the crew survived.

off thread, but in the AEW role did these aircraft (& the carrier borne Wiily Fuds?) have to be flown "into" the direction that the radar needed to see? Obviously todays' AWACS (hawkeyes & E-3s) have a 360 degree coverage, but the images of the -121 seems to suggest that the radar could only 'look' forwards (or is that just the de-icing 'black' on the leading edges?). If the aircraft were limited to "one direction" of coverage how were your orbits co-ordinated with the strike packages/CAP fighters?? Perhaps the answer in the radars forthcoming book?

OK - with the arrival of some warmth/sunshine I've been able to get Connie outside on the patio...

Unfortunately the wings are somewhat banana shaped when viewed from the front - but I think this will all come good with some spars/internal structure - may make a start on this tomorrow.

The Skyraider engine blocks have been assembled and should make it into rubber tomorrow - pix below (am sure you can guess the other project on the go!

re2005582.JPG

re2005583.JPG

More pix tomorrow - promise!

Iain

Those engine parts look fantastic.aa5726cb.gif

I am totaly sorry to have given you any grief about not posting pictures, now that I see what you've been up to..........

Ok, may be not totaly sorry, but certainly at least a smiggin' ( 7e86cfd3.gif) :P

OK - I promised more pix so here they are - and perhaps more later (working on four individual projects plus an article write up today - so please be gentle!).

Mould making in progress on the engines...

Two part mould in progress for the cylinders/blocks:

re2005586.JPG

Single part mould for reduction gearbox casing:

re2005587.JPG

First pour of rubber - need to leave 24 hrs now:

re2005594.JPG

Other engine parts will be scratch-built as they are either very difficult to cast (push rod tubes), or substantially different on the Connie (exhausts etc..)

More later - nice to be able to work outside in the sun! :)

Iain

• Like 1