1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Iain (32SIG), on 12 Nov 2015 - 04:26 AM, said:

As an aside - HpH have let slip that they have long-term plans for a resin/fibreglass 1:32 Connie.

First thought was to bin this and wait for theirs - but it won't be cheap, won't necessarily be any better when complete than this *could* be and I've invested far to much time and research in this so far to bin it.

What would you guys do?

You need to ask? Build both, of course! But one of them has to look like this:

CF-TGE-16Feb13_2237948.jpg

• Like 3

Iain, firstly great to catch up again but secondly I think you've invested way too much time and effort just to waste it now. I also talked to HpH about future releases and they indicated that it will be quite some time before it's released, probably long after you have this one done and dusted and sitting in the (large) cabinet, and as you rightly point out it'll cost a small fortune!

For what it's worth I feel you should forge ahead and finish her after everything you've put into the project.....after all it'll be uniquely yours.

Next year then Iain! But your busy weekend schedule is certainly evidence that the show should be over at least three days!

In the meantime, that HpH one could always be completed as an airliner. I see this one at least twice a month!

137.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Iain, yes, isn't she?!

She's at Nantes airport, minus the rudders (surely it wouldn't be too difficult to source a set?) and overtime I go there, I always ask the First Officer 'Do you know what that is?'

I've had every answer from Lancaster to DC-3!! Only a few have ever got it right. On the other side of the airport is this:

F-ZJCR.jpg

Which of course not one of my colleagues has ever got right!!

I always ask 'Did you ever make scale models when you were a kid?' The blank expressions say it all!! The yoof of today... ;)

• Like 2

Hi Iain, yes, no problem with GA going into Nantes, I'm often number two to a Robin. It's definitely worth a night there too, the old town is absolutely crammed full of great places to eat and drink!

• 1 year later...

Hi all - very long time, no speak - but I thought some might be interested to see latest on this project - fuselage now together - so starting to look like a Constellation!

Can you tell what it is yet?

fdYHXR.jpg

RfNZFk.jpg

9xHWCG.jpg

Note - wings not fully seated at roots yet as I need to make openings for the flap area.

Also nose is dry fitted, but needs a lot of work before fitting - as does the dorsal radar 'fin' which needs to be a lot thicker - so please be gentle with any observations at this stage plaese!  :innocent:

And to give scale, an Eduard 1:32 Bf109E:

k0gk58.jpg

L90Y7w.jpg

Definately feels like we're getting somewhere at last!

Have fun!  :)

Iain

• Like 22

1 hour ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Can you tell what it is yet?

Simples! Its Iain's attempt to break the world record for the longest model build in history! Weren't we supposed to nag you about this or something? :poke: :whip:

Martian

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thanks for interest everyone - appreciated!

I know, it's been a long time - and glacially slow - but I do think she's turned a corner.

I now have a Connie airframe, rather than some disjointed parts, so keep nagging!  :)

Iain

• Like 1

Doesn't look like a lot of progress - but there's a good 20+ hours of work between last week's photos and where we are now.

If I'm honest I'm a bit 'sanded out' just now - time for a break.

Nose being blended in - still a way to go - but getting there. Circle on top of nose was my pour hole for casting resin (the smaller a 'riser' the other side of an internal bulkhead). Nose was taped in position - adjusted for position/alignment - and then resin poured:

48b427_808cf2189f0d41a4ae3fd3453efad6bd~

Underneath you can see the area I had to fill as our puppy had made some 'field modifications' to the fuselage half:

48b427_bf3cea66557c4528950e7573b8c6c79c~

48b427_73315ae4e5e149cc8bd547e2e732e8be~

Rear fuselage getting there - some more surface imperfections to deal with:

48b427_5b666770a19b4f86a1ef6ed951e46024~

Curve of rear fuselage built up - needs further shaping once centre fin in place:

48b427_86a545685fa44445bc88daac1589a48c~

Area ahead of tailplane - removed and rebuilt - again - getting there shape-wise (brown area is polyurethane foam core - soaked in Epoxy):

48b427_344707450f044e0ab3132060d02c341b~

Wings dry fitted. Gaps at root will either need plugging - or root re-shaping - depends on overall span when ready to be bonded - will make that call then:

48b427_e3b5baeb0b2b478ebd2618ec53534f20~

48b427_cd171c698d8c412cbfa02c0ae5183ba8~

Young Cameron for a sense of scale!

48b427_b0a7d75360404896ac275e4a3fbaffd3~

Have fun!

Iain

• Like 7

Can you remind us just how long you have been working on this? Partly to nag you into working faster and partly to give new members of the forum  some idea as to how long they are going to have to wait to see the finished article.

Martian

• Haha 1

Hmmm - dare I admit?  :think:

Purchased from Hannants Lowestoft warehouse in August 1999 and started shortly after - so, erm, well, about 18 years... :worry:

In one way it demonstrates a battle between my lack of ability and high aspirations - but I'd also like to think it also demonstrates a little tenacity at least.  :tmi:

There are times when she nearly got binned - but I'm glad I carried on.  :waiting:

As to completion - depends on whether I can keep the enthusiasm levels going - to have her dry assembled on the table and looking like a Connie has now got me pretty fired up - but there is still a huge amount of work to be done. :rage:

If there's interest (and we have space) I may bring her to Telford again this year - fully aware that I'll get more 'banter' from people on how long it's taken - but I think this is the biggest single step forward the project has taken to date.

Iain

• Like 3

What do you mean, “if” there’s interest?  Of course there’s interest; it gives us all validation that, though we are mad, there is at least one person who is that little bit further down the road...

As someone who has a major scratch-building project planned for when he retires (a ship, in my case), it’s great to be able to learn about turning car filler, a vague outline and a lot of skill into something so excellent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

What do you mean, “if” there’s interest?  Of course there’s interest; it gives us all validation that, though we are mad, there is at least one person who is that little bit further down the road...

.......Said the kettle to the pot!

Martian the Perfectly Sane

• Haha 2

In 'another place' someone mentioned a comparison with the HK Models 1:32 B-17 kits...

Please excuse the state of the grass!

Connie is about 50% longer, and quite a bit bulkier - earlier photo with Cameron is deceptive as Cam is behind - so this should give a better idea, or maybe not?  hmmm.gif

48b427_cbb6fc02d69d4786b0edf5591a2e5d63~

48b427_19b95e305bfc4b1fb6fa10d7978b9177~

48b427_3b457bc47cb8463a90f2db4975055e69~

48b427_2a4488c047f04dcfbac0d8a0db143def~

Iain

• Like 7