1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Hi Duncan - I'm sure I've said this before - but sanity is sooo overrated IMHO! :analintruder:

No radar - I did consider motorising the engines - but I have enough to do without any gimmicks! ;)

I've been temporarily allowed to store the fuselage on top of some of the cupboards in the kitchen - so she's easily accessible at the moment - let's see if I can crack on!

Incidentally she's parked next to some very small and insignificant Luftwaffe bomber - oh - that'll be the 1:32 He 111 (Commie absolutely dwarfs it!)

Thanks all for kind words and interest in the project - helps keep the motivation going... :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Been doing lots of research today on interior panels and cockpit floor - looks like I need to do some changes...

Have managed to find some photos where I've been able to edit in Photoshop (including removing perspective) so I can actually produce some decals for panels based on photos.

And found this link - if you scroll down to plan view of cockpit you can click on area (pilots/engineer/radio) and get illustrated drawings of panels - and some more photos - brill!

http://aviatechno.free.fr/constellation/co...01.php#equipage

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Lots of hours spent on Connie today - interior floor/step up from Engineers station through to rest of fuselage done - floors reinforced and nose gear bay all boxed in! What's scary is everything lines up with each other where it should!

This means I can crack on with detailing the nose gear bay and - if I get the round fuselage windows done - I can crack on with the interior.

Also - work started on cowlings - will be using two sets of mouldings to produce one 'master' that I'll then cast.

No photo's - but will try take some later on week...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

• 4 weeks later...

BiG thank you to @ltdayan - copies of the Flight Manual for the C-121J and EC-121K NATOPS manual arrived on disc this morning - suspect I'm going to be doing lots of reading - thanks Dan!

On this project I've had a huge amount of help from people over the years - having been sent CDs of photos by several people. Each time it provides a little more inspiration and adds to the drive to get her done - I guess I'm not the only stakeholder in this!

She will be at Telford - in what state I don't know - but feel free to visit the 32SIG stand and nag me! :)

Iain

What will be interesting, will be to compare a picture of what you looked like when you started this build with what you look like when you eventually finish it! :evil_laugh:

Martin

• Like 1

Comparing the shapes with original mouldings would be interesting - lots of changes!

OK - a few pics from earlier today showing latest changes - still a little rough and ready:

IMG_6681.jpg

IMG_6682.jpg

IMG_6683.jpg

Iain

Noop - they'll be the slightly bulged wings that need some foam removing ;)

Didn't get chance to photograph yesterday - got tied up with working on the house :(

More images when there's more images!

Those manuals are superb BTW - especially regarding internal layout :thumbsup:

Iain

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to the manuals ltdayan kindly sent me I've dropped work on the wings for now (they have been giving me headaches - time to put to one side and re-visit later) - and back on the fuselage - with the aim of having at least some of the interior done by Telford in November.

The round fuselage windows have been reamed out in preparation for glazing and a start has been made on 'tabbing' the fuselage joints either side to provide a solid joint to the fuselage halves when finally assembled - a series of interlocking polystyrene tabs.

No photos tonight - it's late and I need zzzeds - but will update in next week, or so.

In mean-time someone in another forum posted this link - http://www.westin553.net/batcat16.htm - which has some great images - including a USAF airframe with giant sharks mouth that I'd not seen before.

Iain

• 4 weeks later...

Iain

Its nice to catch up with your progress; I was off planet for a bit of time, was slow getting back as the telephone booth had a bad capsistatter .

But good to see you are still fighting the good fight

(of course with out any pictures we only have your word for it , but there you go)

.4346fefe.gif

Model On Sir icon_salut.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Right - I don't know about you lot - but I've been suitably inspired (and embarrassed at my lack of progress) by Tom's amazing 1:32 B-29 build and so been wading into the Connie again.

Nose bulkhead in - just fettling cockpit floor to fit - then it's nose gear bay detail and a start on the cockpit.

Home alone this week as my wife, son and mother-in-law have gone off to Wales for half term - Iain is 'home alone' and we all know what that means to a modeller!!! ;)

I *will* take some photo's later today and post - promise!

In the mean-time - some more interior photos (USAF variant).

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

There's always one... :fool::)

All fuselage tabs done - there were a lot of 'em...

Need to let dry then I can make adjustments to the nose gear bay so that floor lines up with bottom of crew entry door again :blink2:

Iain

Some pix from a little earlier showing the interlocking tabs added to the fuselage halves - each measures 10mm x 1":

IMG_7796a.JPG

IMG_7797a.JPG

IMG_7798a.JPG

IMG_7799a.JPG

More pix later - just grabbing a bite to eat...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)
  • Like 1

Looking great Iain - I like to idea of applying tabs to both sides of the fuselage. I normally apply them just to the one side, but your way looks like it'll create a stronger join. Noted for the future!

How much of the interior are you planning to put in? Obviously the cockpit etc, but with the open crew door you're not going for full interior - surely?!!

Keep the updates coming!

Tom