Revell 1/32 Mustang

DustBuster

Hi all

looking to get the Revell 1/32 Mustang, mainly because it's half price in Hobby Craft at the moment!!

Has anyone had a go at it and what are your thoughts, recommendations? does it need much work and can I get improvements for it!

Cheers all.

P.S. Anyone going to the Gloucester IPMS show on Sunday?

If it 's the Revell 1/32 P-51B/Mustang III and you love the Mustang...back away from the kit and run away very quickly.

I have seen the Revell kit built into a reasonable facsimile of the Mustang, but to correct all the shape and detail errors is a tremendous undertaking. Unfortunately the alternatives, the Trumpeter kit and Jerry Rutman's resin kit, are both quite a bit more expensive. In the case of the Rutman kit, you get very good quality and accuracy for your money, but you need experience working with resin. The Trumpeter kit has issues which have been well documented, with corrections and solutions, on this and other websites and in a couple of recent issues of modelling magazines. There are a couple of spectacular examples of builds of the Trumpeter kit here on Britmodeller too if you look in the finished models.

Large Scale Planes example

It comes down to a matter of what your building style is like and what would make you happy. With some work, and the Eduard photo-etch you could build the Revell Mustang into what looks like a B model Mustang (or a Mustang III for the RAF types) to most people. There are those (me included) who love the Mustang and like to get it right, and the problems of the Revell kit are just too much work to correct when there are alternatives which are a better starting point.

I hope this doesn't sound like snobbery. There are a number of threads here and on Large Scale Planes which will outline some of the problems, and also some different approaches to fixing them.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by RZP

If i recall , The wings are wrong , the nose is too narrow , etc etc . i built one a few years back and replaced the whole nose section with one from the Hasagawa P51D

and then the bugger was sod to fit. Ahh happy memorys. :undecided:

Thanks for the info on that.

Now I know why they are selling it at half price!

Revell don't seem to have the greatest of reputations except with some models. I have heard and read that the 1/48 Mossie is ok as is the 1/48 Eurofighter. I will prbably spend a bit more and go for another make of Mustang, maybe in 1/48.

Unfortunately my better half would kill me if I bought Trumpeter!

Cheers

At half price you can't go wrong, you would still be able to make a convincing replica of a Mustang. I think I might even pop in my local Hobbycraft tomorrow and see if they have them there :)

I've built 2 of the Revell P-51B's and I'm very happy with them, they look like P-51's to me even if they are not 100% accurate (none of my builds are !). However it is a long slog getting rid of all the surface detail and re scribing all the panel lines.

Cheers

Den