How many RAF airfields are left in Germany

Mike

Thanks chaps, Dad went home happier (is that possible?), cos he reckoned that the internet was rubbish & couldn't provide that information. :rolleyes: What can I say? He's a luddite! :lol:

He was stationed at Fassberg in 1956, but can't seem to find any info on the place during his era. Whether that's down to the search phrases he's been instructing my Mum to put into Google, or their 56k dial-up connection (they won't buy broadband :doh: ), I don't know.

Ain't parents weird?? :lol:

Guest Hunter

The wiki article on the RAF G bases seems to be work in progress, it doesn't mention the Harriers that were at Wildenrath when we were based there early to mid 70's.

The only one that's left is RAF Bruggen,now Javelin Barracks.Unlike the rest it's 100% intact & is used as a airbridge at times.I gather the is a small RAF contingent there manning the ATC but that's about it.

The only RAF bases outside of the UK are Akroitiri, Ascencion Islands, Gibraltar and Mount Pleasant.

I think the army "own" Gutersloh and Bruggen, but not sure what flying is done from them now.

Bruggen (Javelin Barracks) has a flight of Gazelle's there and Gutersloh has two flights of Lynx AH9's there.

yep all correct, wildenrath is now used by DB and siemens for train testing, however all the married quaters that used to be behind the wire are used for jhq and javelin barracks. Last time i was at Guterslog for a med appointment, it had jsut 2 flights belonging to 1 regiment AAC. laarbruch is now neiderhein airport, and the housing is empty apartfrom the singlies which is used by some polish workers, i am going back to Laarbruch (always will remain that in my eyes :hobbyhorse: ) in less than 3 weeks time, so if you want i can show you some pics, it is a ghost town and is rather scary, it is weird and very sad.

hope that helps. but then again there is the old RAF bases such as gatow,buckebourg etc.

hope this helps

cheers

jack