jRatz 1/72 Esoteric Boulton Paul Overstrand

jRatz

Esoteric kit# NAF-30

1/72 B.P. Sidestrand/Overstrand

The Sidestrand was a typical British medium bomber of the early 30's -- fast, maneuverable (it could loop & roll, etc) -- and already approaching obsolescence. It was superseded by the Overstrand, again a typical British non-fighter aircraft of the period because it was ugly. The Overstrand did have the first powered turret in the nose and so is historically significant. Only 43 total aircraft were built, all going to 101 Sqn. By 1941 they were all scrapped; I know of no operational use in the early war years but also don't care as I will be doing "Silver Wings"..

Anyway. I've had this in my stash for a while and this seems a good excuse to get it out. I have vac-kits for most of the RAF/FAA inter-war aircraft and I need to get started on them. Frankly I like the "ugly" side of British aircraft because they are such a "Wow!" factor over here.

The kit allows you to build either the Sidestrand or the Overstrand by including both fuselages; the wings, etc, are common to both and only one is included. I have 2 kits, and chosen to do the Overstrand first, saving the Sidestrand for later.

Anyway, here are the requisite kit contents pix, starting with box art ... You can see that I have already outlined the parts in prep for removing from the sheet.

overstrand_01-boxart_s.jpg

overstrand_02-fuselage_s.jpg

overstrand_03-wings_s.jpg

A nice complement of decals, white metal parts, and strut material.

overstrand_04-decals-etc_s.jpg

Pretty comprehensive instructions ... although I'm a bit fuzzy yet on the placement of the bomb bay(s), whether they are permanently open (I think so) or if the 20lb bombs are just carried under fuselage on the light stores carrier ...

overstrand_05-instr1_s.jpg

overstrand_05-instr2_s.jpg

overstrand_05-instr3_s.jpg

I found that I have two very good references -- Bombing Colours from the Feb 1970 Airfix Magazine and more importantly Famous Biplanes #9 from the June 1957 Aeromodeller. This latter is actually a build article for a carved wood version of the aircraft and contains some interior detail information.

overstrand_06-refs1_s.jpg

Anyway, I've got a few other things to get off my bench before I get serious about this. I'll probably fill time between other projects by cutting away parts and be back when that is done.

Any/all questions, comments, and suggestions are welcome !!!

John

Hi John,

The Overstrand was a neat looking old bird! Seeing your's posted reminded me that I have the same kit.

I should get mine out and offer up the Sidestrand to the group build, using inspiration from your thread to keep me going of course!

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Ted

We (we meaning I'm including Ted) have a difficulty.

The Sidestrands wings were only slightly swept back, the Overstrands were much more so to compensate for the turret. I haven't measured the kit wings but they cannot be (correctly) be used with both aircraft.

I didn't know all this until my Putnam Boulton Paul Aircraft Since 1915 book showed up today. I'll figure something out.

John

Hi John,

Those rotten Putnam guys!

Anything to spoil our fun!

I spent quite a while last night on the internet trying to find out the actual angles to no avail.

What I'm going to do for now John is start up a build thread for the Sidestrand and get everything sanded down at least (part of that was already done by me when I first got the kit, nothing glued though), and then wait to see what you can dig up.

Incidently, I have a set of the old Aviation News drawings of the Overstrand. Do you think that they may help?

I was using them to enlarge for a 1/32 scratchbuilding project.

Talk to you soon,

Ted

Putnam says the Overstrand upper wings were swept 1' 1.6" which I translate as 3/16" in 1/72 scale.

Measuring the kit wings, still on the sheet, I come up with an even larger number, close to 5/16".

Lower wings are slightly different in each case, and I didn't bother with them.

So kit wings are too swept for even the Overstrand - and guess what ? I'm going to ignore all this and build it as it came in the box!! Nobody I know who will see it will ever know. I am turning in my AMS badge.

John

Amen to that John, good call! I'd never even heard of an Overstrand...Understrand...Sidestand...thingy, let alone what the angle of dangle should be!

Hi John,

I'll keep sanding my Sidestrand parts down as well!

I should start up a build thread for it though. Oops! That means I better get the camera back out!

Ted

P.S. Just for the AMS in me, did the book mention the sweepback angle on the Sidestrand?

Amen to that John, good call! I'd never even heard of an Overstrand...Understrand...Sidestand...thingy, let alone what the angle of dangle should be!

Well, they were built in pretty small numbers, though not as rare (I believe) as the Fairey Hendon. IIRC, Overstrand and Sidestrand are coastal villages in Norfolk.

Joseph

IIRC, Overstrand and Sidestrand are coastal villages in Norfolk.

You learn something every day. There was I thinking the names were something to do with their rigging patterns...... :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Bill

Hi John,

I'll keep sanding my Sidestrand parts down as well!

I should start up a build thread for it though. Oops! That means I better get the camera back out!

Ted

P.S. Just for the AMS in me, did the book mention the sweepback angle on the Sidestrand?

Hi Ted,

No and I read through carefully. I'm also having trouble getting various 3-views to measure out.

If I were to do a Sidestrand, under AMS conditions, I'd probably go with 1/16" sweep back.

Hi John,

The Aviation News drawings that I have seem to bear out the Esoteric kit.

I'm assuming that they were followed for making the master.

The Overstrand fuselage is pretty close in every aspect except being a little short in the very back end in comparison to the drawings.

The sweepback kit versus drawings is identical, although the drawings are somewhat longer in span (chords the same between the kit and drawings).

The good thing is if one wants to succomb to AMS, the aircraft is one of those where the ribs on the outer panels do not follow the line of flight so whatever change you want to make would not matter rib-wise.

Oh well, I think your right, the two of them should just be put together as is.

They'll look pretty (Sidestrand) and pretty ugly (Overstrand) without the fuss of AMS corrections!

Talk to you soon,

Ted

• 2 months later...

John, If you go to : www.flightglobal.com & on the page that comes up ,scroll down to Military planes of the 1930s & click on it you will find 118 photos, several of which are of the Sidestrand/Overstrand. I also have the kit & hope one day to build it. I will be following your thread with interest. I have read a lot of your reviews & such so I expect good things. Carl Thurston :speak_cool:

• 3 months later...

Hey fellas, WHAT HAPPENED HERE.? Did someone shoot down those Sidestrand & Overstrand bombers. Did you do them in invisable ink ? I was all ready to learn from masters ( not 1, But 2 of them. ) on the intracacies of a vac-form biplane twin motored model. I tremble in fear that I may have to go building my model without experienced guidence. HORRORS Carl T :undecided::undecided::speak_cool:

Hey fellas, WHAT HAPPENED HERE.? Did someone shoot down those Sidestrand & Overstrand bombers. Did you do them in invisable ink ? I was all ready to learn from masters ( not 1, But 2 of them. ) on the intracacies of a vac-form biplane twin motored model. I tremble in fear that I may have to go building my model without experienced guidence. HORRORS Carl T :undecided::undecided::speak_cool:

I cannot account for the rest of the GB, but I've had all sorts of issues that have completely sucked away my time.

The kit sits here, waiting to go, after I get one more project off my list -- hopefully within a couple weeks.

My apologies ...

I cannot account for the rest of the GB, but I've had all sorts of issues that have completely sucked away my time.

The kit sits here, waiting to go, after I get one more project off my list -- hopefully within a couple weeks.

My apologies ...

John I hope you know I meant that a as downeast Mainer's humers. I will check in from time to time to see how you are doing. As for getting off onto another project, The Southern Maine Scale Modelers are putting on a show on March 20th 2010, & I've started painting Mini- Arts 1/16 scale mounted Napoleonic Lancer to enter in the show. Also between the shows at Nashua & South Attleborough in the last 2 weeks I picked up 8 new kits ( actually all old, but ones I've wanted to get. ) So probably more projects may get delayed in being done. & I'M 78 years young too. Carl T :speak_cool: