Mig-21 SMT

Hi everyone

Owing to my short attention span, I've taken a break from my work in progress T34-85 to build the Fujimi 1/72 Mig-21 SMT. The kit has a reputation for being innaccurate but is quick and easy to build and looks the part once finished. It's painted mainly with Alclad 2 duralumin, tinted with black or white enamel to produce the different shades. I think if I were to build another one there's a few things I'd do differently (like not dropping it halfway through painting).

MIG-21SMT1.jpg

MIG-21SMT2.jpg

MIG-21SMT3.jpg

Here's a few shots next to the Trumpeter Su-15 TM, another innacurate but still enjoyable model. As you can probably tell, I'm not too fussy about innacurate kits and I don't mind admitting it. I draw the line somewhere near the Hobbycraft Yak-38, which looks nothing like the real thing at all!

MIG-21SMT4.jpg

MIG-21SMT5.jpg

Paul

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! The Hobbycraft Yak-38 is not a bad kit in itself, but the shape is wrong; it's too square in the fuselage - my guess is that it was designed from some blurry photographs before it was possible to access the aircraft up close. A-model have kitted this aircraft as well, but I don't think it's easy to get hold of now, which is a shame. The good news is that Hobbyboss have got a 1/48 Forger listed as a future release... mmmm, tempting!

Edited by Paul A H

Nice mig 21 :partytime:

What variant is it? There seem to more variants than days in the month ha ha :undecided:

Vince :badmood::bounce:

Hi Vince

Thanks for your kind words. It's the Mig-21 SMT 'Fishbed K' variant. Based on the Mig-21 MF 'Fishbed J" but with an enlarged dorsal spine designed to hold more fuel and thus increase range. Unfortunately it was found that other flying characteristics were adversely affected. It was only produced from 1971 to 1972 before the ultimate bis variant (Fishbed L/M) entered production. There are quite a few variants...!

I don't know how accurate it is but I like the look of it.

Martin

Thanks Martin. I think the accuracy issues are mainly around the nose and the panel lines, but I think it looks ok. The new Zvezda Mig-21bis is supposed to be the most accurate late model Mig-21.

An NMF a/c now that get's my attention for sure.

Sounds like you enjoy the hobby and subjects regardless of 'accuracy etc'?

Sometimes I think we forget that!

Adrian

To an extent, yes. I still draw the line somewhere, but I don't have the confidence to start cutting up kits and inserting bits of plasticard yet. That said, I've just got the Maquette Lavochkin La-176 and intend to do a complete rescribe for the first time, so maybe I'll change my ways?!

Exact rivet count, and panel door size being exact , be damned.....That is a great looking MiG-21 (Fishbed, funny I don't see any fish in it or on it) build. As long as it's very close to being accurate...it's all good. Now if it had a MiG-21 label on it, but looked something close to a pregnat F-100 we would have issues. You took what the kit gave you and made it look superb mate. All else is nitpicking...accuracy does matter but does it have to be down to the Micron.

Edited by Angels49