Rasberry ripple Canberra walkaround. WT333

Fmk.6john

Tried to start this in the 'Walkround' section but it won't let me so will have to go here!.

I went to Bruntingthorpe on Sunday and in between watching the Lightning being thraped up and down the runway I bagged a fistfull of shots of the Canberra that is there.

This Canberra is an ex Boscombe Down bird and is in tip top condition, if thats not enough at the open days they strike her up and fast taxi down the runway and boy is she loud :analintruder: .

Anyhow onto the pics.........

wt333overnose01kx3.jpg

wt333nose04ih3.jpg

wt333nose05ze2.jpg

wt333nose05ze2.jpg

Airbrake details......these work by disruptng the airflow across the wing and creating drag (not air sampling pod as I first thought :closedeyes: ).

wt333airbrakes02ar5.jpg

wt333airbrakes01on6.jpg

Engine cartridge starter system......

wt333enginestarter01wq4.jpg

Enging hatch.....

wt333enginedetail01pi4.jpg

Ariel detail.....

wt333ariel01ag1.jpg

Port flap detail....

wt333portflaps01cv4.jpg

Starboard flap detail....

wt333starboardflaps01qy6.jpg

Camera hatch just aft of the bomb bay....

wt333rearhatchaftbombaysa3.jpg

Bomb bay looking forward....

wt333weaponsbay01ks2.jpg

Tail detail....

wt333tail01bq8.jpg

Hatch aft of the cockpit, used for equipment and part time cargo hold when aircraft goes to other airfields....

wt333tophatch01uj3.jpg

Starboard wheel well....

wt333starboardwheelwellxg0.jpg

Port wheel well....

wt333portwheelwell01si5.jpg

Ground power hatch, starboard side just aft of cockpit door....

wt333starboardgroundpowmr5.jpg

Lastly a nice overshot.....

wt333overshot02vv6.jpg

Thats all for now folks, enjoy!!.

Regards,

John.

does this aircraft still fly then then around the country or is it jsut taxi runs?

Affraid not, she is in superb condition and would still be able to fly with a tug on the stick but the CAA and money say no, each year there is a general open day and they run her up the runway.

Also there are some Buccs, Jet pigs, Hunters, TWO Lightnings, Comet, Iskra and a Victor that are all in taxying condition.

John.

• 3 weeks later...

The Canberra will always hold a piece of my heart, it was the second military joyride I got while serving in the USAF. It was the American mod of course, and redesignated the B-57. The takeoff was like a Sunday drive in the country. Used a lot of runway on takeoff :) . The first was backseat in an F-4D, the third was in back in a T-38. :D

Awesome John!

Thanks for posting these excellent pics - just what we need for the reference section....very nice.

Thanks again,

Regards, Geoff :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice pics John, I have a few that I can add into the mix. The walkaround section is something that we're still working on, and as yet we've not decided the final format to it, which is why members can't post stuff up. There's also the fact that if members post stuff up and then erase the files, the pics disappear, so we'll host the files over on BM so that they stay forever.

Once we've finalised the format, with your permission I'll upload the files for you, add mine, and we'll be away...

canberra.jpg

My favorite, caught just at the right moment :)

Nice pic Mike. It reminded me that I converted the Airfix Canberra to a Raspberry Ripple one;

RAECanberra1.jpg

RAECanberra2.jpg

Apologies for the picture quality as they are scanned from that stuff we used before digital cameras! :D

Once we've finalised the format, with your permission I'll upload the files for you, add mine, and we'll be away...

No problems mike, I also have quite a few other 'walkround' sets so it would be nice to get them up on the forum when it's ready.

Regards,

John.

No problems mike, I also have quite a few other 'walkround' sets so it would be nice to get them up on the forum when it's ready.

Regards,

John.

Cheers... yes, it'll be nice to have a fully functioning walkaround section, won't it? The idea is that it'll be fully searchable etc. too, so you don't have to waste time tramping through loads of webpages to get what you want :)

This was when she was last run at the general open day earlier on in the year, as you can see the weather was p*ss poor and it never stopped all day.

This start was a headache as the wind was not playing ball, the cartridges fired but the engine didn't catch, unburnt fuel ignited in the jetpipe causing a spectacular flame thrower effect.

Interestingly enough a couple of Canberras were used as flying test beds for the E E Lightning and fitted with RR Avons complete with re-heat :analintruder: .

img3009ud2.jpg

img3012ew1.jpg

Regards,

John.