F-14D Tomcat (VF-101 "Grim Reapers")

Kit used - Hasegawa 1/72 F-14D Tomcat (VF-101 "Grim Reapers") # 00805

Proposed Scheme - VF Decals #72002

F14D_VF101_AD164_164342_001.jpg

Restarted 18 April 2009 alongside the >> VF-101 F-14B "Red Tomato" <<

Following on from the main assembly in 2007, I somehow mixed up the differences on the F-14B and F-14D variants, and on opening the two builds, I found I had added a GPS antenna to the F-14B and not to the F-14D.

I have now sanded off the antenna on the F-14B and here is how I added the antenna to this build.

First I drill an 0.8mm hole approx centre of the spine, just up a mm or two from the rivets.

HS_F14D_010_002.jpg

next I stretch some sprue and melt the end to form a semi sphere

HS_F14D_010_001.jpg

then feed through the hole

HS_F14D_010_003.jpg

and finally glue from inside the fuselage, let it set, and then if necessary prune the excess sprue inside.

HS_F14D_010_004.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen

• 3 weeks later...

An update from last week

After finishing construction of the major assemblies, I sprayed the paint scheme, using Xtracrylix Light Compass Grey on the underside, Dark Compass Grey on the sides, and Dark Blue/Grey on the upper surfaces. Once dry I masked up for the Black Skunk stripe and sprayed the Xtracrylix Night Black. On removing the Jammy Dog and Tamiya masking I used, I pulled up various areas of the scheme, which I had to go over with touch ups to repair the damage.

HS_F14D_010_005.jpg

Have to seal in with Klear, ready for decalling.

Also I found the resin seats I had painted up back in 2007

HS_F14D_010_006.jpg

I finally found my Alclad 2 stash and sprayed Grey Primer over the Dr. Pepper resin Exhausts, sprayed Alcad2 Pale Burnt Metal, applied a black wash, and painted up the exhaust shrouds with Humbrol Black. Unfortunately when I unmasked, after painting the silver edges I pulled off most of the black paint, so I sanded it all off and tried again with Tamiya Semi Gloss Black and Citadel Mithril Silver.

HS_F14D_010_007.jpg