Revell 1/32nd Tomcat Aggressor

Bigger is better as they say, so im building the revell big cat. which turns out to even more massive than i thought haha.

Going to be doing it in the 'powder puff' aggressor scheme, which i think is meant mimic the Su 33, with a soft two colour blue camo and white radome/fin tips.

First the obligatory cat photo.

DSC02287.jpg

Started with the pit, added some details including the throttle area which seems to have slipped revells mind totally as it doesnt even exist on their cockpit :confused:

Have some Quickboost resin seats coming as well as the kit ones are rather too basic to get away with on this scale.

DSC02289.jpg

Tarted up the nosewheel bay also. Not exactly accurate but an improvement on the bare sides of the kit part.

DSC02293.jpg

The cockpit sidewalls have also had more detail added but i forgot to photo those, and its now all primed and ready to start painting.

Good luck with this - the nose section to fuselage join is so bad, it probably needs its own Tube station.

Good effort so far though!

yeah im having sleepless nights thinking about that join :hanging: ive seen a build of this kit somewhere and the builder used plasticard tabs on the cockpit section to help force the fuselage section apart to get the gap better, so i think ill try that and hope for the best. i do quite enjoy a bit of filling and sanding anyway so its all good

yeah im having sleepless nights thinking about that join :hanging: ive seen a build of this kit somewhere and the builder used plasticard tabs on the cockpit section to help force the fuselage section apart to get the gap better, so i think ill try that and hope for the best. i do quite enjoy a bit of filling and sanding anyway so its all good
Ah a man after me own hart matey ! cant beat a good bit of sanding eh ?

take your time and it'll come together as Phatness said its a pretty bad join if i remember rightly

but alignment tabs worked well for me and i used gap filling cyano . all came together well

keep us posted

the last day and a half or sos progress on the big turkey

cockpit and nosewheel bay are now painted and the front fuselage is together

DSC02296.jpg

DSC02297.jpg

DSC02299.jpg

needs some filler and sanding but nothing major, fit was quite good on this bit. wings are together also fitted nicely.

ive had a look at the front to main fuselage join though with the parts pegged together and im gonna be having sleepless nights about that one its a bit of a beast

the tomcats progressing nicely, the fuselage is now together with the wings in, intakes are on and painted inside.

DSC02300.jpg

DSC02301.jpg

fit was pretty reasonable on these bits, a couple of rounds of fill and sand has left it looking pretty good, maybe need one more round but no more than that.

DSC02302.jpg

theres a join line down the side of the intake though which i really dont see how im gonna be able to cover properly as its just too deep to reach, this is a flash photo and its less noticeable in reality but still a bit of a pain.

next job is to join the cockpit section, cant put it off any longer :undecided:

• 2 weeks later...

quite alot of progress since the last update

the nose section is on

DSC02303.jpg

i used some thick plasticard tabs on the fuselage section to push the nose section apart and make the fit better, worked well, so well in fact it split the cockpit section in half again :who-let-rip: but it worked out ok in the end.

DSC02306.jpg

thats the worst part of the join, after many sessions of filler and sanding and priming and repeat, it now looks like that, pretty much ok i reckon.

DSC02307.jpg

underside looking ok.

DSC02309.jpg

the quickboost seats, which are fantastic. only partly painted at the moment and will need some more sanding off the bottom to make them sit right also.

there isnt really much to this kit in terms of parts, but everything is a bit of a battle to fit. starting to really take shape now though

fitting the tailplanes today i noticed the wings are warped upwards at the back, looks a bit crap :( stuck them down to the fuselage to reduce it as much as possible but it still doesnt look quite right and its rather too far along to fix now i think

annoyed that i didnt notice this sooner, just hoping it will not be too noticeable when painted as i dont really want to throw this away at this late stage but im not happy about it :suicide:

there isnt really much to this kit in terms of parts, but everything is a bit of a battle to fit. starting to really take shape now though

You said it!!

i noticed the wings are warped upwards at the back, looks a bit crap

Have you got any pics to show this? Is it anything a couple of minutes with a hair dryer and a few heavy books couldn't fix?

Would be a real shame if it isn't something you could save as there are so few of these being built these days... :fraidnot:

i did attack it with some wooden sticks, lots of masking tape, clamps and a hairdryer yesterday evening and it has somewhat improved it.

its still not quite right but the main part of the wing now looks closeish to where it ought to be, but what would be the tip of the trailing edge with the wing swept forward (if that makes sense) is still to me eyes rather too upturned.

i dunno if to try again with the heating and bending on that area and risk making it worse, or live with it as it stands at the moment. ill try to remember to take some photos of it this evening.

some photos, my camera didnt really want to pick up the right areas especially from the front to show whats going on

DSC02312.jpg

DSC02313.jpg

DSC02314.jpg

with the pink box, the must have accessory for large aircraft builds.

i think it looks better here than it does in reality, but its alot improved over how it was before the heat bending, so i think ill live with it rather than trying heating again and making a mess of it.

main body now complete and primed, ready to start painting. nose cone broke off after priming but i managed to get it back on without needing to filler it again, was a clean break luckily.

painting stand from some coat-hangers and its ready for the airbrush and a marathon preshading session.

DSC02315.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

painting has begun. the white areas have been painted already and masked off, preshade is on as is the lighter of the two blues, israeli light aircraft blue i think its called. looks like duck egg blue in some lights, bit odd but this is the right colour according to the decal sheet so it should look right with the other blue on.

DSC02318.jpg

DSC02319.jpg

DSC02320.jpg

these are flash photos under lightbulbs so the colour looks a bit different again.

wasnt until i started airbrushing that i really realized how huge this model is, marathon paining sessions.

Tell that moggie to bugger off...this one is for us modelers only!!!!...she can watch but don't touch!!!...very nice work....I'll be watching this one to learn more about scratchin in the details.

Edited by Angels49

apologies if youre getting sick of updates to this, but heres another one so tough :evil_laugh:

main painting is now done! masking removed from all the areas except the cockpit as i had to see how it looks.

natural light

DSC02322.jpg

with flash and lightbulbs

DSC02325.jpg

im quite happy with how it, looks like all the filling, sanding and swearing over some really poor fit and the wing warping issues has paid off.

the cheaper thick masking tape i was using to bulk in areas rather than use the thinner tamiya tape has lifted some of the white off the nose, but happily it managed to look just like chipping so that all worked out, unless tomcat nose cones didnt ever chip? in which case ill need to repaint that but i dont know if they did or not, any experts?

DSC02323.jpg

DSC02326.jpg

underside is more patchy than the top, this hasnt shown up too well but as im going to go for a fairly weathered look that should be fine.