Sea Fury - 1/72 - PM Model

AnonymousA667

I was supposed to be doing a Revell S-Boot for this GB, but a number of factors have prevented me from doing so and now the finish date is almost upon us, so I thought I'd sneak in with a quickie build to show willing.

Here we have a PM Model Sea Fury, an Airwaves PE fret and an Almark decal sheet:

01.jpg

PE bits whacked onto the kit floor, decal panel chopped into bits and positioned behind the PE panel, lots of dark grey paint squirted in all directions:

02.jpg

03.jpg

PE grilles recessed into the lower wing - very fiddly:

04.jpg

peebeep

good to see that the PE set is still available

I bought it yonks ago mate, although Hannant's may have done another run with the release of the Airfix boxing. I've still got another PM and an old Frog Sea Fury stashed and there's enough for two models on the fret, so it may get used up some time.

peebeep

Abject failure -again. Still, I will finish this one off and continue the thread if the mods don't mind.

Here's the state of play - model thrown together and unfeasible pre-shading applied:

05.jpg

And a further blast of paint:

06.jpg

The Extra Dark Sea Grey looks, er extra dark. I will tone it down (up?) after decalling.

peebeep

After much muttering and intakes of breath I got the tape out and masked it up again, Paint used was Hu79 which I think is the same shade as Hu123, but is matt rather than satin:

07.jpg

It is over coated with Klear and I will lighten up the final coating after decalling. Looks much better now. The tin marked 'Extra Dark Sea Grey' will not be used for this purpose again!

peebeep

• 1 month later...

Something of a hiatus (what's new!) with this build but completed at last. Decals were all from the Almark sheet. Whilst the printing is impressive, the carrier film is thick and even after a good gloss coat my fears were realised - some of the panel wash clung to the borders of the decals and was difficult and in some places impossible to remove. Here's the undersurfaces before final finishing:

08.jpg

Then with the undercarriage and other bits added:

10.jpg

Undercarriage doors were from the PE fret, but stuck onto some thin card to add a bit of beef, they would otherwise look too thin. Exhaust ports were snipped off of some thin rod and stuck into place, not the right number but it looks a lot better. Panel wash was Promodeller light dirt for the EDSG and dark dirt for the Sky. Also at some stage - I now forget when (!) - I glazed the wing tip lights, well worth the effort. Oh, and the wheels had to have the gross hub detail reduced.

Overall I enjoyed this build and considering PM boxings of this kit are ridiculously cheep it is outstanding value for money. Not the greatest detail, but I think it passes muster as a Sea Fury.

:D

peebeep

I saw this at Hendon and was surprised on closer inspection to see that it was the PM kit.

My only minor criticism (aimed at the kit rather than the build, which is superb BTW) would be that the cockpit rear bulkhead is placed too far back - PM, and the Frog kit which their tooling is based on, got it wrong. It should be about 4/5mm further forward. There's a panel line (roughly halfway between the front and back of the sliding portion of the canopy) which I used to line up the cockpit when doing several of my whiffed RAF Furies.