Hawk T Mk1 1:48

Hi Guys

I am currently in the process of building, what will be my first aircraft kit for many years, the Italeri Hawk T Mk1

Have received some cracking pictures on a previous post re the interior, I am now looking at ideas for the exterior, and wanting to get away from the rather dull grey scheme want to have a crack at this-

xtradecal48067review_1.jpg

Can you recommend paints for this - in particular what would be on the underside.

Cheers from a noob

Paul

looking at it , the upperside colours will more than likeley be the same as the spit in the background wich would be humbrol no's 29 and 30 or equivalent in whatever range you use although the underside looks a light grey rather than duck egg blue i would probably opt to match a light grey to match your photo ..

there is also a build article on that very aircraft in the forums on here somewhere !!

Cheers Guys

Tornado -if you can point me in the right direction for the build that would be a godsend!

Al - Must admit seeing this set but never actually read it - looking at it the undersides state silver??

Paul

Cheers Guys

Tornado -if you can point me in the right direction for the build that would be a godsend!

Al - Must admit seeing this set but never actually read it - looking at it the undersides state silver??

Paul

there is a thread that does say the undersides are silver may just look grey in photo,s i'll go elsewhere for a sec and will be back

looking at it i would say a colour like humbrol aluminium would suffice as it does seem to be silver in these shots . also another thing that leads to it being aluminium is that it is a bob memorial scheme and 19 sqdn spits had aluminium undersides ..

2655441183_79d0e025d5_o.jpg

2696763944_8d8e655b49_o.jpg

Edited by tornado64

Actually the scheme was applied to the Hawk to commemorate the Spitfires entry into RAF service with 19 Squadron, not for the B-o-B... It should be Dark Earth and Dark Green over Painted Aluminium, or at least the modern equivalent colours. The Xtradecal instructions have the colours right.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it's any help, but i finished an Airfix Hawk in this scheme last year, although i didn't do a WIP thread on here (I did on AN Other forum).

The ready for inspection thread is http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...948&hl=Hawk if that helps?

for paints, i used Humbrol matt aluminium from a rattle can for the undersides. The top colours were Revell Dark Earth and Dark Green.

A few detail pics which might be useful. Notice the yellow on the end part of flap which will be visible if 1/48 kit is built with flaps down. Also all the leading edges, fin, wing, tailplanes, cannon and pylons (and I assume intakes too) are covered with what appears to be some sort of clear yellow anti-wear tape. It stands out as glossy against the flat camo finish and also colours the painted aluminium undersides with a distinct yellowish tinge.

HTH

Andy

IMG_6891.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_6921.jpg

Edited by andym

A few detail pics which might be useful. Notice the yellow on the end part of flap which will be visible if 1/48 kit is built with flaps down. Also all the leading edges, fin, wing, tailplanes, cannon and pylons (and I assume intakes too) are covered with what appears to be some sort of clear yellow anti-wear tape. It stands out as glossy against the flat camo finish and also colours the painted aluminium undersides with a distinct yellowish tinge.

HTH

Andy

Another for the collection. Don't think that there was any tape on the intake.

Tim

IMGP2070.jpg

That's probably the same (or similar) stuff they put on the leading edge of helo blades... sometimes called helicopter tape, or is it 100 mile an hour tape? Looks like those intakes have already started to chip. Glossing the leading edges of the flying surface would get it a great little boost of detail, and be as easy as pie... just apply some thin tape after the decaling, and don't take it off until after the flat coat :)

Another for the collection. Don't think that there was any tape on the intake.

Tim

IMGP2070.jpg

Thanks for that. Doesn't seem to be any on intakes right enough, probably why they are chipping already. Interesting to note that the "HK35" stencil on the gun pod rear is complete on your pictures but has partialy worn off on mine. Just goes to show how modern aircraft can weather.

Andy

and I assume intakes too

Nope, never fitted to the intakes. If it came off you can guess where it would go!

It used to last quite well on Hawk leading edges and would eventually turn a dirty beige colour.

It is the same stuff as fitted to the leading edge of rotor blades (worked on Hawks and Wessex amongst others,during my blue suit days). Rain was the worst thing for ripping it off the rotor blades, if you could hear the blades 'whistling' as the cab came back , you knew there was no early dart to the bar that night!