Heinkel He-111 H-6

Afternoon all.

Here's the next build lined up on the bench then, the Revell boxing of the excellent Hasegawa Heinkel 111. Bought this kit at the Yeovilton show courtesy of our very own Chris of Kits Kits :thumbsup:

DSCF1024.jpg

DSCF1025.jpg

DSCF1026.jpg

It's a beautiful looking kit, with plenty of plastic for the the money, all of which is finely detailed, as you would expect from Hase. Very much looking forward to this one ^_^

Just a quick question for the experten; the instructions call for the cockpit to be coloured RLM 02. As I understand it, this would be correct for early-war aircraft, but I'll be finishing mine in a Winter camo scheme from 1944, so would it have changed to RLM 66 by then? Or were all He-111s finished in RLM 02? Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Shaun :)

I am about half way through this kit. I am really enjoying it.

No fit issues so far but in places the instructions are vague. Which exhausts to use? if using the large bombs you shouldn't use the internal racks and some of the colour call outs are a bit odd to say the least. I can't offer any great advice about colours (sorry!) I am not that knowledgeble about such things.

i think the racks should be fitted

the problem is that the bombs are moulded integrally and can be seen

which is fine if you want an internal payload but a pain if you want the external bombs- which i would think would be rather popular

it is a pity when revell have gone to the trouble of the detailing which looks pretty good-that they didn't leave out the internal bombs and just have the racks

then i guess we'd be complaining about lack of stores :lol:

I'd have to confirm but I believe all the major glass nosed luftwaffe bombers were RLM66 cockpits from early 1940 onwards as it was noted that the RLM02 seemed a bit bright and obvious to attacking fighters.

Howard

Just a quick question for the experten; the instructions call for the cockpit to be coloured RLM 02. As I understand it, this would be correct for early-war aircraft, but I'll be finishing mine in a Winter camo scheme from 1944, so would it have changed to RLM 66 by then? Or were all He-111s finished in RLM 02? Any help much appreciated

Cheers

No expert - just my twopence ...

I'm dabbling exclusively in 1/72nd and always use a 50/50 mix of 02 and 66 as main cockpit colour.

This prevents a "black hole" and allows me to add washes with black, picking instrument boxes out with 66 and dry brushing with silver to obtain some 3D effect.

Something else: when fitting the rudder pedestals check distance relative to the seat - as istructed the pilot would have to have double length legs....

Rolf

Thanks for the input guys :thumbsup2:. Using your info as well as that acquired elsewhere, I shall be painting the cockpit in RLM 66, with the rest of the interior in RLM 02.

Here's a little update for the sake of it and I have assembled the main cockpit components. Rolf was right in that the rudder pedals appear a little large, but I can live with that seeing as there won't be any crew in place. The bomb racks are dryfitted as they would be tricky to paint this way, but as Paul mentions, the bombs can be seen moulded in place. So with this in mind, I shall open the bombay instead of mounting the under-fuselage bombs.

DSCF1032.jpg

Dryfitting of the cockpit, along with the dorsal turret, shows a very tidy fit indeed.

DSCF1034.jpg

The bulk of my progress so far has been occupied by the glazing. I first gave it all a dip in Klear (sadly, the gondola had a build up of Klear as I didn't remove enough of the excess, and wiping this off has left a litle smear :() before whipping out the Tamiya tape and masking it all off. Probably the best part of 3 hours work alone on this, but at least it's all done.

DSCF1035.jpg

Should now be in a position to get the RLM 02 and 66 areas sprayed up over the next couple of days and get the interior largely completed.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Nice kit and good value at Revell's full price. However, just in case anyone who fancies one is in the right area, Trago Mills cash and carry stores in Falmouth, Bodmin and (I think) Newton Abbot are currently carrying this kit at about £10.50.

Nick

The bulk of my progress so far has been occupied by the glazing. Probably the best part of 3 hours work alone on this, but at least it's all done.

I can second that. My eyes are still recovering from my 3 hour stint! Mine doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours though.

Looking good!

Thanks very much guys :)

More progress and I have sprayed up the RLM 66 and 02, the former for the cockpit, and the 02 for the rest of the interior and undercarriage.

DSCF1036.jpg

DSCF1037.jpg

I've also assembled the wings and tailplanes

DSCF1038.jpg

And with that done, I couldn't resist a wee dry fit. The fit is awesome, and with a bit of fettling at the wing roots, this should be a filler free build :D

DSCF1039.jpg

Next step is to apply a couple coats of Klear in preparation for some oil washes, before some drybrushing and detail painting to bring our all that lovely interior detail

Thanks for looking, comments and suggestions welcomed as always

Cheers

Cheers buddy :thumbsup2:

Time for another update then, and the interior has been completed. After applying a couple of Klear coats to protec the paintwork, I apllied an oil wash. I used black for the cockpit and burnt umber for the rest of the interior, as well as the wheel wells and main undercarriage legs. After a spot of drybrushing here and detail painting there, the cockpit was then assembled and dryfitted.

DSCF1042.jpg

DSCF1044.jpg

DSCF1045.jpg

DSCF1046.jpg

I may yet add some belts to the seats, though I am pretty happy with the looks of things as they are. Next step is to get the fuselage buttoned up and the seams tidied up beofe mofing onto the rest of the main construction.

All comments welcomed as ever

Cheers

I'm actually building a 1/48 version of this and it has less detail than yours. It's an old Monogram kit which has no bomb bay at all, I contemplated scratch building one but after the last marathon build I'm hoping to do an almost out the box biuld on this one.

I see you've used a sort of yellowy colour for the rear fuselage, I've had a bit of a headache finding the colours but I've managed to get some colour interior shots and the one's I got showed a light grey. German planes really put me out of my depth which is what I'm looking for and my knowledge of German interiors is lacking to say the least. She looks good so far mate and I'll be keeping an eye open for this one :D

In the mean time are there and good net references for interiors of German A/C?

Cheers

Gary

Thanks very much chaps ^_^

Gary, the colour I've used for the rear fuselage is Xtracolor X409 RLM 02, which I'm guessing is the grey you have referred to. The yellowy colour comes about due to the application of the burnt umber wash, although I thkn the pics may accentuate just how yellow it is :hmmm:

More progress then and after mulling it over, I decided to add belts in the end. Knocked them together from tamiya tape, with 5A fusewire for the buckles, before putting them in place and staining them with the umber wash.

DSCF1047.jpg

I then proceeded to assemble the main components and clean up the seams. I managed to get a fairly good fit at the wing roots, with only a smidgeon of filler required just to tidy of the gaps- this still needs sanding back. The engine nacelles have a slightly iffy fit where they meet the wing, so these too will need sorting, maybe with a touch of milliput. Note, the dorsal turret glazing has only been fitted in place with blu tak so as to avoid having to glue the MG in place and inevitably knocking it off later. Hopefully, I can do the same with the nose and ventral guns.

DSCF1048.jpg

DSCF1050.jpg

So, all that remains is to complete the assembly and sort all the joins before splashing some paint around

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Cheers buddy, I've certainly got the bug, with a whole bunch of Luftwaffe kits in the stash. Hard not to be drawn towards such beautiful aircraft in nice and challenging colour schemes :wub:

A bit more progress and the main construction has been completed with the addition of the glazing and completion of the engine nacelles. The extreme nose section has been left off to save the MG being knocked off during handling hence the blob of blu tak to mask the hole it leaves behind. The forward and rear turrets of the ventral gondola have also simply been tacked in place for the same reason. The hatch has also been tacked in place and will eventually be displayed in the open position, just so a glimpse of the office can be seen clearly, even with all that glazing. With that all done, the wheel wells and bomb bays have been masked off, so she's now ready for a preshade :)

DSCF1051.jpg

DSCF1052.jpg

Hopefully I can find the time to get some paint on her tomorrow, though I fear the champions league semi final will have to delay this till thursday :footy:

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed as always

Cheers

Well well, so this is what youve been upto when I wasnt looking :lol:

Absolutely cracking so far Shaun, I really want to get my hands on one as my Dad built me one when I was sprogette, but that glazing scares the hell outta me :yikes: Really looking forwards to seeing this finished :worthy:

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

Thanks again peeps, glad she's keeping you interested ;)

Didn't get a chance to get anymore done yesterday due to a cetain footy match, but have managed this evening to get the preshade on. As usual, my comp didn't want to play ball, and after an hour and a half spraying, it was piping hot and churned out a bucket load of water, making spraying frustrating. It's not perfect, but at least she's now ready for some proper camo.

DSCF1053.jpg

DSCF1054.jpg

DSCF1055.jpg

Should now be in a position to get the RLM 65 undersides sprayed tomorrow evening hopefully

Comments welcomed

Cheers

It continues to look great.

fussy airbrushes and compressors are a real PITA aren't they!

You have inspired me to go and spray the primer on mine!

Great updates, keep them coming.