1/48 Hunter GA 11 and T8

OzH

As normal, I decided to start two similar projects at the same time, this time a couple of Hunters in FAA service.

First up will be a GA.11 using the Acadamy F6

Picture761-1.jpg

PJ's nose, Eduard etch and some help from Aeroclub

Picture763.jpg

The T8 will be the Acadamy 9

Picture762-1.jpg

with Aeroclubs two seat conversion, undercarrage and tail, plus Aires wheel bay

Picture766-1.jpg

I may just make it a T8M if I can dig out a Harrier nose from somewhere (offers welcome!)

And I have this little number as backup for anything the rest overlooks!

Picture764-2.jpg

Edited by OzH

Looking forward to these, Oz! I did the GA.11 with that kit and those accessories a little while ago for the book. Watch out for the PJ under-nose - mine suffered from shrinkage and was too small to use. I ended up modifying the kit part....the rest of the resin was good though.

Looking forward to these, Oz! I did the GA.11 with that kit and those accessories a little while ago for the book. Watch out for the PJ under-nose - mine suffered from shrinkage and was too small to use. I ended up modifying the kit part....the rest of the resin was good though.

Paul

I test fitted mine yesterday and found the same, will have to see what's better, scap plastic on the front end or mod the kit part...

Do you have any pictures you can post (as its for a book)?

Paul

I test fitted mine yesterday and found the same, will have to see what's better, scap plastic on the front end or mod the kit part...

Do you have any pictures you can post (as its for a book)?

Frankly, it looked a lot easier to fill in the cannon troughs, which aren't that well defined anyway! PJ does seem to have an issue with shrinkage with certain products - maybe he did these on a cold day....

pj-ga11-nose.jpg

And the finished product:

pj-acad-ga11.jpg

Hi Oz.

I have some more info on my build here although I know now I made some mistakes:

Ed

Like the right and left elevons down... :rolleyes: One must be up, and one must be down.

Anyway a beautiful work.

In my opinion the worst part of the Academy Hunter kit are the air intakes and you found a fair solution: covers!

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Homebee, great pictures, thanks

Tez, I'm planning to do both in the late FRADU EDSG scheme and have them parked next to each other.

Paul and Ed, Thanks for the pointers, filling the kit part it is then!!

Ed, I don't suppose you have any of those nice drop tank decals left that you'd like to sell/donate to a good cause? Makes all the difference I think.

I've started assembling the Academy fuselage and done a bit of surgery. Test fitting the T8 nose, looks ok to me:

Picture767.jpg

Picture768-1.jpg

Went a bit to far here, but I did cut on the panel line, nothing a bit of filler can't sort out though

Picture769-2.jpg

"Tez, I'm planning to do both in the late FRADU EDSG scheme and have them parked next to each other".

OzH,

Apologise if it was a slip on the keyboard, but they were painted up in Dark Sea Grey (like the Sea Harrier FRS.1 during the same time frame). I know one or two sources say EDSG but this is incorrect. Looking forward to seeing these finished. Spent many an hour peering over the wooden fence at Yeovilton watching these lovely aircraft.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a FRADU Hunter GA.11 in progress! What's new with your T.8/.8M OzH?

WIP is here: http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.p...=443399#p443399

I've just broken the right horizontal stabilizer... :shithappens:

Currently under repair.

Next step details and then Klear/Klir/Future for the brightness.

img1891a.th.jpg img1897q.th.jpg img1894o.th.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

You can't have ENOUGH Hunters!!! Looking forward to seeing these two progress. I'm sure you are aware Oz but for the benefit of others who maybe contemplating one of these builds the GA11 was derived from converted F4's so have the small bore 100 series Avon engine - the Academy kits tailpipe area is pretty awful anyway. Good news is that plastic white metal replacement parts are included in John Adam's Aeroclub detail set that you have!

Excellent choices!!

Guys, thanks for all the interest, I have been just got hold of some really nice photo's of the T.8M cockpit, quite different from the other 8's and 7's so will start working on that.

As for the GA11, I have also gone down the "fill the kit part" route as the resin was much to small, as was the cokpit tub, a real shame as they did look like great bits of resin. I have managed to salvage the IP, just about to add some "Mike Grant" dials, will post some pictures later, hopefully...

Homebee, that looks lovely, just checked out your build thread as well, looks great.

A question though, I though that the GA11 had the early flaps, without the cutout of the FGA9. I have seen pictures where they definatly had the early flaps, but also pictures where they carry the lager drop tanks that needed the cutout.

I know the GA11 were overhalled in 1980, does anyone know if the flaps were modified as part of this programme?

A question though, I though that the GA11 had the early flaps, without the cutout of the FGA9. I have seen pictures where they definatly had the early flaps, but also pictures where they carry the lager drop tanks that needed the cutout.

I know the GA11 were overhalled in 1980, does anyone know if the flaps were modified as part of this programme?

The GA.11s were fitted with the Mod.228 wing and never carried the large 230 gallon tanks, only the 100 gallon tanks (which could be carried on all four pylons). Consequently the flaps were the early style non-cut out jobs.

The GA.11s were fitted with the Mod.228 wing and never carried the large 230 gallon tanks, only the 100 gallon tanks (which could be carried on all four pylons). Consequently the flaps were the early style non-cut out jobs.

No GA.11 with FGA.9 type cutout flaps?

Let's have a look at this one!

Source: http://www.fradu-hunters.co.uk/fraduhnt/864xe689.html

vl160700_gapr11_zb.jpg

GA.11 100 gallon tanks only? And this one?

Source: http://www.fradu-hunters.co.uk/fraduhnt/862wv256.html

862e1.jpg

The following FRADU Hunter GA.11 were observed in the eighties equipped with the cutout flaps or large 230 gallon tanks on inner pylons

860/XF300

862/WV256

863/XF368

864/XE689

868/WT744

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Fair enough, my reply was too generalised, so let's break it down a bit.

The GA.11 was in Fleet Air Arm service between 1962 and 1970. During that time they did not carry 230 gallon tanks and, therefore, no cut-out flaps. Of that I am as certain as I can be.

In 1970 they were taken on charge by FRADU, all armament and gunsights removed, radios upgraded, Harley lights fitted (in most cases), and a few others 'tweaks' to suit their new role made. My information does suggest that in some cases provision was made for 230 gallon tanks for specific occasions such as ferrying. You will note from the photo that the bracing strut is not fitted making the tanks non-combat stressed, i.e. suitable for ferry-type flights only. Cut-out / non cut-out flaps are interchangeable so can relatively easily be altered for such flights if required. I believe the actual fitting of 230 gallon tanks to be a relatively rare occurence.

That information I gleaned from a very good source and I have no reason to doubt it. As ever, if anyone can prove otherwise then I'd love to know.

So, the important thing to remember if modelling a GA.11 is whether it was in FAA or FRADU use as there were differences in the airframe and usage.

Incidentally, one point which everyone seems to miss is that the enlarged (to account for the arrestor hook) tail bumper on the GA.11 is further aft than other Hunters. On the GA.11 (and T.8 come to that) the tail bumper straddles the joint of the tailcone and the rear fuselage and so is just over 12" further aft than the other marks.

Also, being converted from the F.4, the GA.11 also has a different design of airbrake than the F.6 or FGA.9 kits normally used as a basis for conversion.

BTW Homebee, the Hunter has ailerons not elevons. :)

Edited by StephenMG

Interesting.............would it have been a straight forward case of just bolting the bigger tanks on - weighing over twice as much?

The wings would need strengthening (as it was in updating the F6 to the FGA9?). In this respect this mod of the early 1980's (nearer 1984 I think) would have maybe done just that? In that case the 230 gall tanks would seem a bit more of a permament arrangement.

And as for ferrying...why and to where. FRADU Hunters were often seen at Gibraltar - with smaller tanks. Can't remember seeing them any further afield than that, so why the need for larger tanks just for ferrying?

Just a few thoughts........

AND Here's a query from me...Hunters were by now unarmed....

Whats going on here and why? Dated from 1984

GA11 lets rip!

Edited by Bill Clark

Guys, thanks for the imput, I think from this, I could have either full of cutoff, dependent on what era I want to model.

Anyway back to the model.

The JP tub had shrunk, as was the lower fusulage replacement. So I used the Aeroclub replacement, some eduard etch and airwaves IP dials.

before

Picture807-1.jpg

and after

Picture809-1.jpg