Canberra madness (T17) - ** 1/48 Finished! - Better Photo's **

I put all my Canberra bits together today to start my TT18 project, a 7 Sqn ac in grey with black and yellow stripes. However, next to the Airfix box was the Classic Airframes T17 kit. This is where it went a bit mad.

Having asked the Camlett team if they were doing a T17 conversion and finding out they hadn't considered it, I was happy I had sown a seed for the future, maybe. No other T17's on the horizon, I wondered if the nose of the CA kit could be put on the Airfix kit. Why? Well I have had a go at the CA kit and it broke me, this after adding an Aerclub TT18 and since then an Airfix BI(8) to my collection. All that nice resin in the CA kit, lots of references, and what an ugly looking aircraft...... So I got the razor saw out and did it. I cut the Airfix kit at the panel line in front of the cockpit, this after measuring and measuring. The T17 nose was removed from the CA kit, would they fit? NO!!

The CA nose was too wide. Quick change to the starboard side, this time cutting a mm further towards the nose, removed CA nose and put them together, It fits!!!!!!! Back the the port side and a mm shim was inserted and bingo an Airfix Canberra with CA noses. Oh boy, what have I done. I've packed it all away now, if and when the blood settles I will continue. Next is to work out what needs scratch-building and if the CA undercarriage bays will fit without too much surgery, then there's the cockpit...............

Here are some pics to prove I am mad

BFN

Chris

P4130001.jpg

P4130002.jpg

P4130005.jpg

Edited by chrismac60

I wondered how long it'd be before someone tried that! :lol: Very expensive upgrade set though :owww:

Canberra £20 at Yeovilton from a trader, CA T17 £20 at Yeovilton, keep looking under those tables!

How much would a full resin conversion be? £30 - 40 plus the kit?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update of progress today. Added weight (first lot) and cockpit. Cockpit is Airfix floor and CA resin, plus CA nose wheel bay. Wings - removed flap detail so I can add Cammletts brass set, added CA wheelwheels complete with pour blocks, they fit perfectly - as though they were made for the Airfix kit. Engine intakes next, though I might use the Aviation Workshop resin fronts, but as is typical, wrong engine (T17's were converted from B2's), oh hum. Photos below

regards

Chris

P4250001.jpg

P4250006.jpg

P4250005.jpg

Edited by chrismac60

No, it's just that cos they're limited run kits you have to work a bit harder.

Tony :clif:

I would say 50 - 50, they could be designed to fit better, but with hard work they are not impossible.......OK, maybe the Vampire's are ...but other than that......OK the Meteor T7...but.........

Chris

Although progress looks minimal, I have completed the following:

Wings assembled, with intake blanks fitted and Aeroclub starters

Most panel lines filled and sanded (Oh so much sanding!)

Cockpit complete

Ejection seats primed

Navs window reorientated

Bomb bay doors fitted closed

Tail modified

Next to do is fitting the brass flap set, paint the cockpit and then get the fuselage together, sort out the white metal undercarriage, which is for the CA bays I used and clean up new resin tanks from Belcher products.

Chris

P5090061.jpg

P5090063.jpg

P5090064.jpg

P5090065.jpg

Watching with interest Chris.

Where did you get the Belcher tanks from?

Is there a UK soucre?

Cheers

Rich

Edited by PHREAK

Hi Chris,

Progress is looking really good so far but I have to ask, with all the extra work you are doing on this kit why on earth didn't you just do the CA Canberra T.17?

Cheers

Hi Chris,

Watching this build with interest - keep up the good work!

Just one thing, if you're doing a Hemp Low vis scheme of 360 squadron, everyone I know who flew and worked on the jets never recalled seeing 84" roundels in low vis on a T-17A! I've always been told only small roundels were ever used for the low vis T-17 scheme which looked really odd when placed on an upper and lower wing!

Cheers,

Jon

:)

Hi Chris,

Progress is looking really good so far but I have to ask, with all the extra work you are doing on this kit why on earth didn't you just do the CA Canberra T.17?

Cheers

The work I'm doing and will end up doing is only half what I would have needed on the CA. I have a failed CA canberra for spares when I do the TT18, it just beat me. Ever seen a CA Canberra with the door closed? I haven't. If Bill Clark fails to complete a model, you know there's something amiss.

regards

Chris

Edited by chrismac60

The work I'm doing and will end up doing is only half what I would have needed on the CA. I have a failed CA canberra for spares when I do the TT18, it just beat me. Ever seen a CA Canberra with the door closed? I haven't. If Bill Clark fails to complete a model, you know there's something amiss.

regards

Chris

I gave up on the CA kit after trying to sort out the wing top airbrakes - and the nacelles - which took up far too many modelling sessions for my liking. I had built 4 or 5 CA Meteors in various guises - and I just couldn't bear the thought of spending loads of time having to bash the Canberra together! So gave up! I had kept the parts and like Chris, thought about using the T17 parts in addition to the Airfix kit. I may still do that.......I'll see how Chris gets on.....

IF only I had another Aeroclub B2!!

I gave up on the CA kit after trying to sort out the wing top airbrakes - and the nacelles - which took up far too many modelling sessions for my liking. I had built 4 or 5 CA Meteors in various guises - and I just couldn't bear the thought of spending loads of time having to bash the Canberra together! So gave up! I had kept the parts and like Chris, thought about using the T17 parts in addition to the Airfix kit. I may still do that.......I'll see how Chris gets on.....

IF only I had another Aeroclub B2!!

Thanks for the comment Bill, I was a little too embarrassed to ask who the heck is Bill Clark (no offense meant).

Chris when's the next update due?