Spitfire Vb Trop

In an attempt to make this my second completed model in 30+ years I've decided that my first post here will be my first ever in progress thread.........

Subject is the lovely Tamiya Spitfire Vb Trop with the Eduard cockpit and airframe PE set. This is also my first extensive use of PE so to paraphrase Gerry Anderson "anything could happen" ...... although one thing is certain .... this won't be finished in the next 30 minutes.

A few days ago I'd folded and fitted some of the cockpit PE and added a preshade to the walls in preparation for paint :-

DSC00063.jpg

Unfortunately I used Tamiya X20 thinners to thin the Xtracrylics Interior Grey/Green (won't do that again!!!) which caused a lot of "tip drying" and as a consequence my (frustrated) airbrushing was more heavy handed than I would have liked and the preshade was obliterated. Time for a chalk pastel wash ........

Here's the cockpit post wash with some PE and scratch built bits and bobs added with the IP and seat assy awaiting installation.

DSC00072.jpg

And here is where I am today - IP, floor(?) and seat assy's installed, Sutton harness cable fitted and ready for the fuse to be closed up ....

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

Tomorrow's exciting installment should see the closing of the fuselage and the addition of the wings (cats permitting) - I bet you can hardly contain your excitement ;)

Comment and criticism welcomed,

Ian

It looks pretty decent from here. You may want to add a wash around the ribs etc to make them stand out a little better, as your preshading has almost vanished. A subtle drybrushing will further enhance it as you will lose a lot of light once the fuselage halves are joined. I prefer to use oilpaints for drybrushing as they feather beautifully and you can build up the density very gradually.

Jens

Thanks for all the comments guys, they are much appreciated.

jenshb : I had applied a dark grey wash around the interior ribs which in natural light looked fine to me but the camera flash has "washed out" (sorry!) the effect somewhat.

seanrgb : doing this sort of stuff in 1/48 scale is easy - you just make everything 50% bigger than you would in 1/72 :winkgrin: Seriously, what you see is down to the Eduard set - it's the first time I've used PE on a large scale and it produces good results if you are patient - oh and I discovered that holding the small parts with tweezers/fingers is a big no-no ........ after hours on my hands and knees (searching for "pinged" pieces or praying........you choose) I found that a toothpick with some plasticine on the end works wonders for holding and positioning parts.

So after a Masters golf induced delay (watching not playing unfortunately) here's the latest update :-

Disclaimer : no filler was harmed in this production ..........

Fuselage, wings and tailplanes added with the only problem being a warped stbd lower wing. Elevators and rudder removed in preparation for Ultracast bits.

DSC00109.jpg

In a remarkable piece of forward planning (for me) I painted the radiator innards prior to fitting the radiator cowl.

DSC00110.jpg

And here are the innards before fitting :-

DSC00112.jpg

And after :-

DSC00119.jpg

Canopy parts were masked inside and out and sprayed interior grey/greeen before fitting and the Ultracast bits added.

DSC00115.jpg

I drilled the fin, tailplanes, rudder and elevators and added hinges from wire. The observant amongst you will have noticed the white plasic shim at the top of the fin - this has absolutely nothing to do with my hamfisted removal of the kit rudder and is obviously the result of me fixing an unreported inaccuracy in this area ................ :fraidnot:

DSC00116.jpg

Also added the rudder actuator from wire.

DSC00117.jpg

So now everything is ready for priming and painting.

Thanks for looking, as ever all comments and criticism welcomed.

Ian

Thanks for all the comments.

Jen : I noticed the anti-gravity belts in the photos too so I attempted to make them hang a little better .............Unfortunately ........

1) I'd already closed up the fuselage.

2) My attempts to press the belts down into a better shape caused the seat to come unstuck from the upper seat mountings which was compounded when I attempted to fix the seat the b@#$%y armour plate behind the seat also decided to unstick itself.

3) I managed to fix the seat and armour plate when I noticed that the poking about had caused the sutton harness cable in the rear cockpit to detatch itself from the harness :wall: Some hours later I had reattched it (more by luck than anything) and some contemplation over a beer persuaded me to carry on ..........

Oh, so the bl@#$y seat belts are staying just how they are - if anyone else notices I'll say they were a top secret anti-g belt forerunner of the modern g-suit :whistling:

So on to the latest update. Following a primer coat of Tamiya Fine White primer I added a preshade - what a mess. I just couldn't get the paint to a consistency that would spray a fine line - so I ended up with splodges and "spats" everywhere. After a pause for more beer I pressed on with the underside (Xtracrylix) Azure Blue - it went on beautifully and I am very happy with the result.

DSC00125.jpg

Confidence restored, I drew out the camo pattern and sprayed the Mid Stone. Left this to dry overnight and masked and applied the Dark Earth.

DSC00122.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

Some touch up is needed in a few spots and then it will be time for Future and decals ( or do we call them "transfers" on this site? :D )

As ever, all coments and criticisms welcome.

Ian

Oh this is looking real nice...I just love the desert schemes...I look forward to seeing the completed spit...:thumbsup2:

Thanks again for all the comments.

Time for another update - unfortunately delayed by the necessity to repair some storm damage this week - cue chorus of "I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K. .............."

So last weekend, following a coat of Future, the b@#$$%y Tamiya decals were applied. I also made a custom decal for the port side of the engine nacelle reading "SPECIAL ENGINE" which references show on this particular A/C.

I hadn't realised that Tamiya printed their decals on stainless steel sheet !!!! Three days later following countless applications of MicroSol the roundels on the upper and lower wings had still not settled over the lumps and bumps of the wing surfaces. I decided to press on, sealng the decals with a final Future coat and then giving the whole model a coat of highly thinned white to tone down the decals and fade the camoflage a little. I followed that with a first flat coat in preparation for some weathering. Here are the pics :-

DSC00175.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

Weathering is next followed by the dreaded fitting of the "fiddly bits".

As ever all comments and criticism welcome.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian,

Your decaling job looks good - certainly it doesn't look like you were struggling as much as you say you did. As for decal solvents, try Tamiya Acrylic Thinner - it will dissolve the acrylic gloss coat and soften the decals, and then it will dry and make the gloss coat clear again. I have yet to find a decal that it will not work on.

Jens

Jens,

Thanks. The wing roundels are not how I would like them but I couldn't face removing them.

Many thanks for the suggestion to use Tamiya Acrylic Thinner - I have two more Tamiya Spitfires and 4 Tamiya Mosquitoes in the stash and the thought of using aftermarket decals on all of them wasn't too appealing.

Cheers,

Ian