right let's try again

It was all going so well

copit1.jpg

copit2.jpg

started painting the interior then this:

bendy1.jpg

bendy2.jpg

which has never happened before- the starboard half was okay cos of the cockpit floor i guess, and the plastic is soft.

was a tad miffed but after a sit down and the thought of an Xacto razor

copitchopup1.jpg

OUCH ! :o just a little setback mate , - i did something similar to a victor . . . still , the lower cowling is usable . stick at it , we have faith in you . :worthy:

Thanks guys

the plastic is vert soft compared to other kits i have done.

The fuselage half is aslo narrow on bothe axes where i guess the firewall would be

the hair drier i use doesn't usually get hot enough to do this sort of thing + it wasn't a prolonged blast + i didn't notice it happening to stop it and correct while maleable enough to bend back to shape.

i tried the boiling water method but was in danger of making it even worse so stopped. must admit was a bit cheesed off, as it is such a lovely little kit.

i thought about chopping off the front section where the metal meets the fabric, then scratch building. which sounded daunting.

so decided if needs must but on looking at the damage decided to chop as seen above.

there is a bit of a twist in the main fuselage section, but i am hoping i can force the two halve together then reconstruct the forward section.

will probably need the services of Miss Milly Putt :bouncy:

walrus , the FW 56 used an Argus engine , - i have an eduard strip down storch it comes with an academy(?) kit for parts , you can have the cowl from that . - any good to you ?

walrus , the FW 56 used an Argus engine , - i have an eduard strip down storch it comes with an academy(?) kit for parts , you can have the cowl from that . - any good to you ?

Hi Blimp

that is very kind.

i may be able to get away with it- fingers crossed

just moved it to photo and the clamp and peg pinged off so have had to re set it

the good news is that the glue and clamp seem as though they will work.

glued the front section on- a dry fit revealed that it is too short so had to carve a piece of plastic of and will use scrap to align with the starboard side.

This is the current state- had to stick a peg in the cockpit to hold the sde out to get a better fit when the clamp was applied- sorry this is best i could do:

fix1.jpg

the middle segment is the worse and there will be a gap but hopefully nothing that can't be sorted.

how well the top cowling and cockpit section fit is another matter!

there is a bit of a discrepancy and twist in the fuselage halves will post pics to show- but again hopeful it can all be remedied somehow

it ain't purdy but it is slowly getting there

012.jpg

014.jpg

have had to use a bit of srue to oush the cockip out a tad for the upper section to fit. there will be a gap between the upper and lower sections on the port side but a strip of thin styrene will sort that out.

the cowling sort of fits okay, but nothing untoward. the tricky part will be reconstructing the underside which has some recesses presumably for the radiator

• 2 weeks later...

a quick update

not had opportunity to get back to this over the Easter peroid but have managed to spend a little time today fixing up the dent on the port side.

will some how have to reinstate the canvas/longerons effect- which will be fun

but first will ensure the filling is smooth. was usure whether to bother but i reckon it would have bugged me to have left it dented and twisted

probably cos it would have been a sad reflection of myself in every sense! :lol:

hopefully will get some pics soon

made a bit more progress but may have gaffed with the choice of rigging

went with invisible thread but concerned it is not really suitable and over scale

never done rigging before so will just have to take it on the chin and use it as a learning process

hopefully it won't look too bad

the tricky part is yet to come as there are no location points on the fuselage for the cabanes

and the port main strut location is in process of being reconstructed- just hope i have put it in the right place - gulp

also will have to try and create new location holes for the port undercart- so ditto.

otherwise all the cowling is now on and the rigging threaded thereon and i am trying not to break off the tail skid while i start rescribing the panel lines.

• 1 month later...

okay made some progress and she is back on track at last

stosserA3.jpg

stosserA1.jpg

managed to sort of replicate the longerons and canvas effect- not brilliant but it is better and straighter than it was

so have applied a coat of grey primer to highlight all the glitches and show where the rescribing has been missed- ie everywhere :oops:

stosserB1.jpg

stosserB2.jpg

stosserB4.jpg

stosserB5.jpg

fairly happy that i have managed to get the legs in the correct position, given that the locating holes moved and were filled in so i butt joined with liquid cement, then filled with CA to give a good bond

now for the really tricky bit! the rigging and painting :frantic:

brilliant recovery phil , i've built one of these years ago , it is tiny ! ( and an r/c jobbie ) looking good ! -here's another colour interpretation = fw56stosserii.jpg

Hi Blimp

very smart! :speak_cool:

you managed to acheive a nice soft edge to the blotches- how did you do that please?

looking at the pics the blotches are closer together and smear into each other

looks good over the original grey, but i think i will go with th sand colour

also did you have drawings for the red band placement or was it a guestimate?

was wondering also about the white C1 - it appears in the colour (port) profiles but the pic of the starboard side doesn't have it- since i don't have the decals am going to assume that the C1 was overpainted :innocent:

Another question Blimp- bet you didn't expect the Spanish Imposition- noticed you painted the door tops brown.

Is there a leather cover for head protection. can't quite make out what is there on the photos but since seeing your build have notices a rim of some sort.

Edited by walrus

not mine , i came across it ages ago , i think it came from a link to the aeronet site . reckon it's a good rendition though . :D

the blotches look sprayed on to me . Edited by blimp

• 2 weeks later...

A lack of progress report

not done enough lately but hoping to get back to it by the weekend

confession time. Have ME which has slowed me down and have felt reluctant to push on when not feeling 100%. The problems i caused myself on the D-Day GB Mustang because i pushed too hard seems to have had an aversion therapy effect.

still, i have primed and touched up some glitches and need to rescribe and then push on with the paint job.

i also primed an old Airfix Hurri (the not so good MkI/II hybrid) and have had a practise at plane spotting.

I think i will go with the Hu93 as the main colour as that seems the general consensus, but naughty Blimp has sown seeds of doubt .

Was wondering wether it would have been painted sand or the blotches just apllied straight over the grey?

whoa - sand sounds good paul . after all the 'other side' flew quite a few grey machines , and the spanish forces were pretty quick off the mark with camo . . . .

Thanks Blimp

Hu93 is then :lol:

i am wanting to use acrylics as i believe it will be the best medium for all sorts of reasons.

Sadly Humbrol do not produce the green and rust colours in the acrylic range. There are Tamiya equivalents but i think they will be too "hot" for what i want.

i think i will mix Games Workshop Citadel paints. The practise on the old Hurri has been useful but i still need to perfect the technique before applying it to the Stosser.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time

stossdots1.jpg

since taking the pics this morning, the natural light showed a lot of glitches so tried to get rid of them - which meant sanding and redoing the Hu93 :banghead:

have made some progress dotting the fuselage. Just the green so far. i want to try and bring it to the same point over the whole aircraft.

is going to be a long process building up the mottling but am developing the technique, so hopefully will look better than the pic.

the tinlet is just to give a sense of scale.

Edited by walrus

Thanks Andy

am very pleased to have it still on the go- will post update soon all being well

not entirely happy with the painting done since, in some respects, but hopefully will be okay with some work.

having just watched a Smer boxing go for £21 on ebay (not sure i should mention that in front of Blimp!) i am actually even more delighted to have salvged the wreckage!