1:32 Junkers Ju-52 - Spanish Civil War Bomber

Iain Ogilvie

OK - Busy day today - and I'll start by admitting I'm cheating with this GB and have a 'helper'...

Son Cameron - aged 25 months - loves the 'airplanes' in daddy's cabinets and. well, wanted to help...

So - starter for 10 - Camerons' contribution to the project today:

156ju52084.JPG

156ju52085.JPG

156ju52082.JPG

156ju52072.JPG

156ju52071.JPG

156ju52065.JPG

156ju52063.JPG

I suspect he'll grow up to me a modeller - and like flying things :)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

OK - The constructive stuff:

Started the day by cutting out and prepping the inner wing areas - and following the theory that a picture speaks a thousand words:

156ju52075.JPG

Yes - daylight - sanded to perfection ;)

156ju52076.JPG

156ju52069.JPG

156ju52068.JPG

156ju52067.JPG

156ju52077.JPG

Wanted to add a little more strength to the front joint - so guess what?

Nah - you weren't even close...

I surprised myself and decided to use some casting resin - so more masking tape to form a mould - and - whilst I was at it - I thought I'd sort the front engine bulkhead on the fuselage:

156ju52086.JPG

156ju52087.JPG

Ready for resin....

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

To mix the resin my favourite method for small amounts is to use a clear 35mm film canister - and pour equal amounts of each liquid - they don't initially mix - as you can see - which helps hugely.

156ju52090.JPG

156ju52091.JPG

Lid on - a good shaking - then pour...

And here's the result on front fuselage after attacking with the bar sander:

156ju52094.JPG

Wing inner sections leaked - so I quickly poured off the excess - removed the tape - and cleaned up the inside leaving a small amount of resin inside the joint which should suffice for now...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

On a roll - I decided I'd prep the tail fin:

156ju52078.JPG

156ju52079.JPG

156ju52080.JPG

And bonded the respective halves together using Plastic Weld...

156ju52098.JPG

Got carried away - and prepped the horizontal stabilisers:

156ju52088.JPG

Then thought - oh Phuket (yes - of course I mean that place in Thailand...) ;)

In for a penny - in for some wings...

First off - trim the trailing edge 'step' with scalpel - carefully scoring from the inside:

156ju52093.JPG

Followed by a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong session with the sanding bar - and this is where we are:

156ju52095.JPG

156ju52096.JPG

156ju52097.JPG

More news when there's, erm, more news I guess!

Have fun!

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

hEY Iain, it is coming along just nicely and I see you have gotten your little boi Cameron to help you too..

Hmm Geez!! you start them young dontcha!!!

I am enjoying following this thread very much....

HOUSTON... :whistle:

Cheers Houston...

He's been sat watching today - mesmerished. Keeps shouting 'Daddy's Airplane' :)

Anyhoo - a little progress today - started on bulkheads and getting everything ship shape...

Firstly - I'd previously cut a section out from the fuselage at the base of the rudder as the moulding was poor and didn't line up - so first step to square everything up with a scalpel:

156ju52099.JPG

Next - couple of pieces of 20thou sheet glued in place:

156ju52100.JPG

After the Plastic Weld had 'gone off' - not long in today's sunshine - trimmed roughly with sprue cutter - then scalpel - then sanding stick:

156ju52111.JPG

Now - stuff Ive been putting off - I hate making bulkheads that fit!

First one - the bulkhead next to the door - as this on is a certain position and can formm a reference point for others behind. Base easy as it forms a square the same width as the floor:

156ju52101.JPG

Lines were then marked where bulkhead was inline with the base of the roof.

To get the curve in the roof I dug out my trusty profile guage - and pre-set the available 'prongs' to the width of the fuselage - so minimise distortion of the roof section when I took the profile:

156ju52102.JPG

Profile was taken and transferred to my bulkhead 'blank':

156ju52103.JPG

Bulhead then trimmed and sanded - and hey presto:

156ju52104.JPG

Even better - she fits perfectly with floor and the rest of the fuselage:

156ju52106.JPG

Now that fits - time to mark out the door and cut out:

156ju52109.JPG

Opening made and neatened up - time to add some corrugations - firstly on the back. Cut oversize, bond, trim back...

156ju52110.JPG

And here I've started detailing the front:

156ju52112.JPG

Now full of coffee and planning another few hours tonight as I don't have to go to work in the am :)

Have FUN!

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Cheer folks - am a little biased - but I think he's a good lad :)

OK - a little more...

But first a question - is this too many pictures? Or is it useful?

Don't want to bore peeps with unnecessary updates - but it's also my driver - i.e. I feel I have to make regular progress and post or I'll feel guilty - and this in turn is driving me forward...

Hope that makes sense?

Anyhoo...

Rearmost bulkhead - nice and tight - and straightens up back end a treat:

156ju52116.JPG

Another bulkhead in place - still needs detailing and is also sitting a little high here - that's coz the floor is springy! :)

156ju52115.JPG

Roof on - starting to get 'interesting' :)

156ju52114.JPG

Removed canopy in place (exactly same as clear vac) - but shows there's a Ju-52 lurking in there somewhere!!

156ju52113.JPG

And finally for tonight - measure three times - mark three possible locations - check plans, check 1:48 Revell kit - move again - check - and CUT - the opening for the dorsal gun position:

156ju52117.JPG

That's all for tonight folks - I need zzzzzeeeeeeeeeeds...

And NO Blimp - great photo - but I ain't changing course with a seaplane version now! ;)

Have fun...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

OK - a little progress so far today - measuring up and creating two rather substantial wing spars from 60 thou sheet:

156ju52118.JPG

156ju52119.JPG

156ju52121.JPG

And now I need your help!

Had assumed there was one square opening above the lower gunners 'bin' - but looking at the Revell parts I'm guessing there are two - one above the bomb aimer's fairing (square) and one above the bin - a larger shape...

Can anyone confirm as I'm about to cut slots for the spars and create some 'interior' around this area...

The Revell parts:

156ju52123.JPG

156ju52124.JPG

It's the two areas to cut out 'between' the bomb bays (marked B on the mouldings) that I need confirmation on - assuming I need to cut both out and one spar running between the two?

'cos it looks like a square here:

interior2f.jpg

Any pointers really appreciated! :)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

hi Iain , the rear cut out is the 'recess' for the dustbin in it's retracted position . - i not sure it's quite that shape though , reckon it's a bit narrower . note how the edges of the hatches follow the fuselage longerons , pictures don't help so i'll have to see how it all 'hangs' when i do mine . <_<

Cheers Blimp,

That last pic I posted appears directly abover the bin - and looks square to me...

That larger panel looks more like the ventral 'luggage bay' used on the airliner?

<scratches head>

I'm going to do a dry assembly of the Revell parts and see if I can work this out...

Relaxing hobby.... Pah...

;)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Having looked at everything I have I'm pretty convinced Revell have got it wrong - and the square hatch needs to be moved back so that it's front edge lines up with the front edge of the larger cutout marked on the Revell parts...

This then gives a single square opening above the 'bin' - in the right place - and no opening above the bomb aiming kit.

The photo we have of the interior only shows one hatch on the floor - the detail above shows one square cutout directly above the 'bin' and the pick we have of the ventral bin from the side appears to support this...

interior1k.jpg

ju52_0-1.jpg

There - I've convinced myself - I think... :hypnotised:

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

There - I've convinced myself - I think... :hypnotised:

Iain

Do you actually need us for this conversation, or is it just you and your personalities having a chat? :mental:

:rofl: hi mike , sorry squire . - the bin retracted , it does go into the belly , but only the edge of the curve , so i reckon the revell/monogram version is too wide . it is a very snug fit to miss the aft spar

JU-52-28.jpg

[/left]

as for spars Iain , there are plenty to choose from :lol:[SOTJu52033.jpg

( you can use the centrelines of the window pillars as datums )
Edited by blimp

Do you actually need us for this conversation, or is it just you and your personalities having a chat? :mental:

Erm - did you hear something?

No - why - did you...

Erm - I though you realised you were running a Care in the Community programme? ;)

Blimp - thanks - I think I've got it sussed now :)

Bear in mind the underside will all be re-skinned in currugated sheet...

Hatch marked 'actual size':

156ju52125.JPG

This year my analyst says I'm allowed Power Tools - so - break out Dremel (and face mask) - circular saw:

156ju52129.JPG

156ju52126.JPG

Next tool:

156ju52128.JPG

Cutting through resin fro reverse - it's a bit thick! :)

156ju52127.JPG

156ju52130.JPG

Hatch opened out 2mm all round to allow for the plastic thickness for the 'internal detail' box I'll be making. Slots for spars marked up and clamped in workmate:

156ju52132.JPG

156ju52133.JPG

Half an hour widening slots with file - and Bobs yer Uncle - just need to tweak slightly:

156ju52136.JPG

156ju52135.JPG

156ju52134.JPG

156ju52137.JPG

Next step is to mark out and cut slots in the spars to allow the floor to sit at the right height.

All for now folks - must run - have a joke I've been dying to tell myself! :analintruder:

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

You've done these big kits before, haven't you? I'd be scared to death taking a full sized hacksaw to the fuselage of anything I built... AND putting it in a vice! :frantic:

Btw Iain - where do you get those neat little circular saws from?

156ju52129.JPG

I imagine they create less heat than the traditional abrasive cutting discs that come with Dremels & the like. :)

Btw Iain - where do you get those neat little circular saws from?

Can't remember exactly - I think it was a Poundstretcher type shop - wasn't expensive.

Yes - it's a lot better than the cutting disks - especially on resin...

About the thickness of a razor saw:

156ju52141.JPG

This is the set:

156ju52140.JPG

Just packing up for the day - and lots of chores not done yet...

Still - I think I'm making progress - just over two months to go in the GB - we may just make it yet! :)

In the words of Rolf Harris - 'Can you tell what it is yet?'

156ju52139.JPG

156ju52138.JPG

Couldn't resist taping some parts loosely together to get a feel for her! :)

Looks like a Ju-52 to my eyes :pilot:

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

INNOVATION ! young paul , - ground breaking , the stuff of legends etc etc . ;) seriously though , i reckon you deserve a medal for even thinking about this build Iain . capitol ,capitol . ( he's not just not just soft in the head like me )