Handley Page 0/400

Hey Ratch, I like that!

Particularly like the display style, imaginative and also the props on the 0/400 - what technique have you used there?

Also, what did you rig with?

cheers

Rick

what technique have you used there?

Also, what did you rig with?

Hi Rick, thanks for the comments. For the props I painted Humbrol 110 Natural Wood firstly, then painted grain with 9 Gloss Tan & 10 Service Brown and finally a coat of 1322 Clear Orange. I used invisible mending thread for the rigging :winkgrin:

Hi Paul, cabbage crates over the briney :smartass:

Oh I say that is bloody marvelous..........one from the old days...and the crew figures adds so much more to it.....Cracking good job mate!!!

Superb job there Ratch. I built one with the Air Cadets last year (and motorised it). Airfix really engineered that kit well so you could do a lot of the rigging on the inner wing halves and then hide it when you put the outer wing halves on - brilliant.

I still have another in the stash and am inspired by you diorama to dig it out and have some fighters beating it up.

Have you tried acrylic rod rather than the kit stands for your dioramas? There are several places on the net that do it for quite reasonable prices (I think I just Googled "Acrylic Rod") in different diameters and even different shades if you don't want the usual clear or opaque - the light blue is quite nice. I got 3x 1m lengths for about a tenner delivered - that makes quite a few poles to mount your planes on. I then just drill a hole in the base - usually MDF - and stick the pole in!

Keep the dioramas coming mate - I love 'em.

Cheers

Al.

Ratch,

I have to say that I am particularly impresed that it is an RNAS aircraft. FLY NAVY!

Well done That rigging looks pretty good too!; I understand that this is a bit of a pig of a kit to make, so doubly well done!!!

FredT

Edited by gengriz

Thanks for all the kind words, folks :D

Have you tried acrylic rod rather than the kit stands for your dioramas? There are several places on the net that do it for quite reasonable prices (I think I just Googled "Acrylic Rod") in different diameters and even different shades if you don't want the usual clear or opaque - the light blue is quite nice. I got 3x 1m lengths for about a tenner delivered - that makes quite a few poles to mount your planes on. I then just drill a hole in the base - usually MDF - and stick the pole in!

Not tried that yet, but one to bear in mind B)

This was just a temporary diorama for the photo-shoot - a vac-form base in front of a blue card with painted clouds :nerd:

IIRC in those days Airfix even provided holes for the rigging which they stated should be made from cotton!

The holes are indeed provided Graham :thumbsup: The most enjoyable rigging I've done in a long time :rolleyes:

• 11 years later...

That looks great a brilliant display.  May I ask what paint you used for it?  I have an Avis Bristol M1.C which requires something similar.