Airfix 1/48th scale Canberra PR.9 Finished

Hiya Folks,

Finally finished this one off last night!

I found the fit of the wings to fuselage and the cockpit insert to be very poor and due to the thickness of the plastic used a rasp file had to be used to smooth everything out!

Thanks to Colin S-K`s excellent Canberra I decided to fill in all of the fuselage panel lines and lightly re scribe new ones in the correct positions and I`m quite pleased with the result....real PR.9`s dont have many panel lines showing!

The wing tips were altered to include the ESM fit and extra pitot tubes wer added to the side of the nose, whilst the small intakes in this area were re distributed, with one put in front of the mission tally. A piece of plastic rod was used to raise up the surround to the frangible roof over the navigators position and athough I`d put half a ton of lead into the nose it was still a tail sitter, so an Aeroclub white metal seat and a pilot from the spares box finally helped to tip the balance!

Anyway here it is.......I used Xtradecals for the nose art and roundels but the Airfix stencils were very poor........the rescue arrows were red when they should have been yellow, so new ones were made up from the spares box.........the warning lettering is supposed to be yellow but was orangy red and very see through and the ejection seat etc warning triangles were too big for a later PR.9.....never mind!

Can1.jpg

Can2.jpg

Can3.jpg

Can4.jpg

Can5.jpg

Hope you like it......although it was not a shake and bake and had some silly errors I really enjoyed this model and will get started on my B.2 very soon...as a FAA TT.18 or T.4 of course!

Cheers

Tony O

Bloody hell Tony! Have you been saving all these up, or are you a modelling machine? :worthy:

I must admit, the filling of the panel lines kind of works for me, although I'm normally a panel lines visible kind of modeller :hmmm:

I give up :banghead: I thought Id have a quick shufty at this one while I managed to think of something sensible to say about your Stringbag and you go and lob this one into the mix :yikes::boom:

Absolutely amazing Tony :gobsmacked:

Drool bucket, industrial sized, one for the use of :pardon:

Bexy

Now that's a sweet build! Remember seeing the real aircraft with that nose art at Kemble one year - super cool.

Tony,

Well done Sir..... Looks lovely.....Nice job.

Glad to have played a small part in it..(?)

Finding it a little strange looking at your model and comparing with mine, thought I'd had enough of looking at Canberra models....... Be lovely to see a few more appearing here.....

Be most interesting to put them side by side and compare/chat/swap notes.... Are you planning on taking it to Telford? My two will be on the 'Recce SIG' stand.

Again, well done.

Come on folks, more, more.......

Colin

Tony,

Well done Sir..... Looks lovely.....Nice job.

Glad to have played a small part in it..(?)

Finding it a little strange looking at your model and comparing with mine, thought I'd had enough of looking at Canberra models....... Be lovely to see a few more appearing here.....

Be most interesting to put them side by side and compare/chat/swap notes.... Are you planning on taking it to Telford? My two will be on the 'Recce SIG' stand.

Again, well done.

Come on folks, more, more.......

Colin

Hiya Colin,

I had just painted my Canberra when I saw your post...so decided to sand all the paint off...fill in the panel lines and start again and I`m glad I did now......it was a bit of a leap of faith at the time though!

Its a pity that the panel lines on the Airfix Canberra`s are totally fictitious...especially on the rear fuselage.

Unfortunately I won`t be taking the model to Telford as I struggle carrying models in my wheel chair...I tend to go around in circles when carrying anything and things which are balanced on my lap usually fall off......or get squashed when people fall over my chair...especially at Telford!!! You would be amazed how many people end up sitting in my lap at Telford every year because they don`t look below eye level when walking around!

All the best

Tony

Nice Tony, very nice.

The bare metal spar is a nice touch.

Where did you get the BOZ pod from? Is it in the kit?

cheers

Rick

Nice Tony, very nice.

The bare metal spar is a nice touch.

Where did you get the BOZ pod from? Is it in the kit?

cheers

Rick

Hiya Rick,

Thanks for the kind comments...the BOZ Pods come in the kit mate,

Cheers

Tony O

Tony,

Just read your response.....

Kind of thought provoking.... I have to admit.

I'm a nurse, and once spent a day in a wheelchair, many years ago. Made quite an impression on me..... Can appreciate a tiny amount of what you mean........How do you respond to to those comments about what happens to you in a wheelchair...?

OK, your not going to Telford then.... Do you live any where near South Yorkshire?

Would still quite like the idea of getting together and swapping notes...... If your interested.

Feel free to email me at,

[email protected]

Colin