Airfix 1/24 Hurricane. Any good?

plastic

Right.--After a thread last year in which Bex :kissing2: mentioned she was a Hurry fan, I've been thinking about it and really would like to do a biggie.

Now. I'm not really that happy about payin' Trumpies prices soooooo I was wondering about the Airfix one.

I seem to have a vague memory from years ago of buildin' it but can't remember nowt.

Any of you good people give me some info on whether it's worth it? :thumbsup:

God I remember that Mk.1 Spit well!!! A nightmare!!

The worst was trying to get the wing dihedral right. I was serving an engineering apprenticeship at that time and made a wing spar, out of a 1/8" thick strip of aluminium, by hand.

Did the job.

Paddy. I've read both those articles and yes, I agree that the Trumpy effort does look good buuuttt. I really object to paying £70 odd for a Hurry!!

I've really 'had it up to here' with stupid kit prices and basically, I refuse to pay 'em.

Oh and can you tell me if the Airfix beasty has raised or engraved panel lines?

Not that it has a lot anyway but if I can avoid re-scribing that's all to the good eh?

The Airfix Hurricane is (until the Mosquito arrives) probably the best of their 1/24 range, just shading the Ju87. Bruce Robertson and Gerald Scarborough did the usual Patrick Stevens book, and actually struggled to find much that was necessary to improve it. It really does build up nicely, with engraved panel lines, and no major traumas; I reckon that you'll enjoy it. Don't think Spitfire; Airfix had learned by their previous mistakes, so they concentrated on detail, with no working gimmicks.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Ok so you wanna build the Airfix Hurricane , good choice . The kit is basicly sound and builds up nicely however no kit is perfect and the Hurricane suffers from a couple of niggles which are easy to correct.

Starting with the cockpit Airfix did them selves proud with this one and all it needs is a sutton harness from MDC to dress up the seat , the rest is fine and looks ok to me.

Engine . one of the best Merlins in 1.24TH scale ( Better than the Spitfire ) just needs a few pipes and wires .

The airframe builds up really well except the Engine panels which are a poor fit , especialy the top engine cover ( either glue all the panels in place or leave off all together )

The biggest howler in the kit is the spinner which is horrible and looks the wrong shape ( see my pics i have yet to replace mine )

Decals. Ever since this kit has been released and reissued it has had the same markings , VY-Q 85 sqn and LK-A 87 sqn fine if you like those choices however Tec Mod do some alterntives and if you dont fancy them

then Carpena decals do some nice code letters in medium sea gray and you can more or less build any Hurricane you like.

Heres a few pics of mine built a few years ago , I wanted a Hurricane from 501 sqn so i used the Carpena codes and roundels from Extra Decal :winkgrin:

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

Luverly Hurrie's lads!!

VERY nice indeed!

Still making me mind up but, now that I know the 'old guy' can be built into something decent without TO much hassle and it has engraved panel lines and considering that whichever one I get I'll need noo decals I shall have a final ponder and look around the net for info on both and then----in the usual style of Britmodellers everywhere----go for a pint or 3 and make me mind up :cheers:

Thanks for the help guys.

As well as the decals already mentioned, Montex do some mask sets that include full markings and national insignia, available from A2Zee:

http://www.a2zeemodels.co.uk/aircraft-124-scale-276-c.asp

although the Hurricane I sets seem to be out of stock at the moment.

Right!

Mind made up---ordered Trumpy's Mk.1 from Graham at Relish last night! (Well, truth be told I gave 'she who must be obeyed' the dosh and SHE ordered it for me :evil_laugh:

I've got an 'ongoing' dispute wif me bank manager at the moment---don't you just luv em? :jump_fire:

Anyhoo, looking forward to the big beast arriving, then I can give up fighting Revell's 1/48 Mossie with a clear conscience :tapedshut:

Now, a pack of Techmod decals, some nice 'Duck Egg Blue' paint, (no, not Sky'S'), and a dig around to see if there are any decent pilot figures available and then-----VROOM-VROOM! Or to be more correct----PURRR Whistle PURRR :frantic::frantic:

Well---me Hurrie arrived Saturday morning courtesy of Graham at Relish Models, (great guy by the way).

Actually quite surprised, it's not bad at all!

Surface detail is quite restrained, yes there are a lot of rivets but they'll be much reduced under paint etc. They are NOT a result of 'the mad riveter' by any means.

Cockpit detail is 'adequate' but a lot of the smaller instruments and lever/switches are omitted as are parts of the secondary structure and various coolant pipes. Should be easy to scratch them.

Main tubular structure is there, seperate, starboard emergency door, nice reflector gunsight with the correct, tubular mounting struts etc etc.

Yes, not really that bad at all.

Decals---weeell can use the stencils but the national markings are a bit bright and the fuselage codes are nicely done but the wrong colour, (as has been noted on a no. of other sites. You would think Trumpie would change them after feed back wouldn't you? Ah well).

I think I'll quite enjoy this one, well done Trumpeter, 8 out of 10 I think :goodjob: