RAF tug for V-Bombers

BravoLima

Hello. This is my first post on BM.

It seems that ground equipment is more often related to aircraft than to military vehicles, so I hope that this subject is not misplaced, since I am looking for the overall dimensions and (hopefully) three-view drawings of a tug tractor that was used to move the V-Bombers.

The records that I have found tell that it was produced by Sentinel (or Douglas), it was named "Tugmaster" and under its bonnet roared a powerful Rolls-Royce engine.

In short, I mean this vehicle :

RAF_T_006171.jpg

(from http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/)

SentinelKemble4350.jpg

(from http://www.britannia.flyer.co.uk/)

502_waddington2.jpg

(from http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/)

http://www.aviastar.org/gallery/picture.ph...aliant&p=16

Does these pictures evoke some reminescences? ;-)

Can someone help me in order to model it in scale, please?

Luca

(IPMS Milano - Italy)

Edited by BravoLima

Hi Luca

there was a similar question posed this week regarding the tugmasters onboard HMS Ark Royal

they too were Douglas apparently but so far i have been unable to find anything relevant on the internet.

whilst looking i will keep my eyes peeled for anything regarding the V Bomber tugmasters

all the best and welcome to BM

According to Bart Vanderveen, this vehicle is Tractor, Wheeled, Aircraft, Heavy, Sentinel 4x4 and is an improved version of the Douglas Tugmaster. He gives the dimensions as:

Length 21' 4"

Width 8' 0"

Height 7' 2.5"

Wheelbase 9'2".

The engine was a Rolls Royce B80 No1 Mk5 with 8 cylinders giving 160bhp.

Gordon McLaughlin

To Gordon: many thanks for the precious data. Maybe that the previous version is this one?

aan486.jpg

(from http://www.chrishodgephotos.co.uk/)

I own the Vanderveen's book on WW2 vehicles but didn't even know that he issued another one about post-war vehicles. May I ask you he title?

To Graham T: I am not sure about the actual producer of this tractor since the news reported here lead to a dead manufacturer named "Sentinel". I'll try to ask Douglas about it.

To Walrus, I've seen your post but can't answer, although the subject is rather interesting. I will keep it in mind if I happen to find some information about it.

Thank you all for the precious help

Luca

Anybody living near Duxford because I'm sure they have/had a live one there. I guess they got from Marham along with loads of other ground equipment when they received the Victor. A kindly soul could nip over and measure/photo for the BM Massif :winkgrin:

Just a thought......I'll get my coat?

cheers

Rick

A lovely resin kit of this vehicle was produced by Phil Hunt of Capricorn Miniatures back in the mid 1990's. If my memory serves me right I think it was 1/76 scale but may well have been 1/72. I made one many years ago and still have it somewhere, I will dig it out and take a picture.

I'm not sure what happened to Phil and Capricorn, he produced this and a couple of Crash Trucks but I haven't seen or heard anything for years.

I have taken some photographs of the Tugmaster kit made by Capricorn Miniatures, estimated date of production 1995. I have just noticed the dust which shows up well in the sunlight (result of being tucked away in a cupboard for many years)! I do not have the box etc but the scale would appear to be 1/76.

DSC_0887.jpg

DSC_0884.jpg

DSC_0882.jpg

The real vehicle below (Dennis Mercury MD300) has a similar (AN) number plate to the Tugmaster so was probably made around the same time. This particular Tractor had been at RAF St Mawgan for many years pulling Nimrods around, it was still working there in 2004, many years after the Nimrods had left.

Copy2of72AN58SM05Aug98.jpg

Edited by Evalman

To Gordon: many thanks for the precious data. Maybe that the previous version is this one?

aan486.jpg

(from http://www.chrishodgephotos.co.uk/)

I own the Vanderveen's book on WW2 vehicles but didn't even know that he issued another one about post-war vehicles. May I ask you he title?

To Graham T: I am not sure about the actual producer of this tractor since the news reported here lead to a dead manufacturer named "Sentinel". I'll try to ask Douglas about it.

To Walrus, I've seen your post but can't answer, although the subject is rather interesting. I will keep it in mind if I happen to find some information about it.

Thank you all for the precious help

Luca

[/quote

Luca,

The Vanderveen book is called The Observer's Military Vehicles Directory from 1945. It was published by Warne in 1972.

I don't know much about these tractors but there is an entry in British Military Vehicles 1954 that shows a similar vehicle said to be manufactured by Douglas Equipment Ltd., Tewkesbury, Cheltenham. The vehicle is described as Tractor, 6/8 ton, Heavy Aircraft, FV2241. It has the Rolls Royce B80 Mk5N engine of 160bhp. The dimensions given for the tractor are:

Max fixed height 7'0"

Length 21'0"

Width 8'0"

Wheelbase 9'2"

Front track 6'2"

Rear track 6'1"

Wheels:

3 piece rims 7.33" x 20"

Tyres 11.00" x 20"

This machine appears almost identical to your photographs but seems to lack the mesh grille on the offside behind the driver. It has a civilian registration and may be a prototype.

In his book Wheels of the RAF, Bruce Robertson has a photograph of one of these tractors with the RAF serial number 59AN64. It is described as a Douglas Taskmaster and is towing a Victor bomber. The Vanderveen illustration shows 60AN72 towing a Belfast transport.

It seems that the names Taskmaster and Tugmaster were used for a wide range of tractors made by Douglas. Vanderveen's later book World Directory of Modern Military Vehicles published by Warne in 1983 shows several tractors that have these names but they are completely different machines. Your tractor is not shown as, presumably, it had gone out of production.

I hope this is of help.

Gordon McLaughlin

The real vehicle below (Dennis Mercury MD300) has a similar (AN) number plate to the Tugmaster so was probably made around the same time. This particular Tractor had been at RAF St Mawgan for many years pulling Nimrods around, it was still working there in 2004, many years after the Nimrods had left.

Copy2of72AN58SM05Aug98.jpg

Evalman, i remember that tractor, the last time i saw it was just a couple of years ago sat on a low loader it the MT yard at St. Mawgan but it was faded to grey rather than green. judging by your user name i take it you're a local boy (to me!), ex-STM by any chance? i was at HMF until 2006 and still visit for CCS and fitness tests etc.....

i'm really enjoying this thread as i have a secret intrest in ground equipment, especial support vehicles and tugs. not enough models available of modern types unfortunately. we have Douglas Taskmasters at Culdrose, all of differing designs (open cab, closed cab, raised cab) but all with the same name.

here's a pic of our Taskmaster dragging a Mk3 out on to the pan:

n730020486_306359_2481.jpg

i hope this isn't seen as hi-jacking, but as an addition to this thread, here's a couple more pics of more modern RAF types i've used in theatre, the good old JCB Fastrac (best tractor i've ever driven).........

STA70210.jpg

STA70293.jpg

and the latest addition to the fleet (used by all 3 services), the Schopf MATT (Medium Aircraft Towing Tractor): this thing even has air con!

DSCF1369.jpg

DSCF1326.jpg

Edited by paul_c

judging by your user name i take it you're a local boy (to me!), ex-STM by any chance? i was at HMF until 2006 and still visit for CCs and fitness tests etc.....

Cornish ex-pat now living in the smoke. Still get down to STM to see friends and CU for Air Day etc. Agree that some modern ground equipment would be most welcome.

Thanks for sharing the pics paul

love that JCB- a cool kit in its own right

i guess the ww2 is covered soet of - cold war and modern would be very handy

the Schopf pic is interesting

what is the revetment behindplease? (without giving away state secrets)

are they cast concrete block?

what is the revetment behind please? (without giving away state secrets)

are they cast concrete block?

in the Schopf pic? nothing secret about them mate, they are the Hesco bariers that make up the blast pens that protect the aircraft from small arms fire and shrapnel whilst on the line. Iraq and Afgan are covered in them, they are basically made from Hessian sheeting, filled with sand and covered in wire mesh.

here's a couple of links http://www.hesco.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesco_bastion if you want to buy shares in a company, i rekon Hesco would be a safe bet!

Edited by paul_c

A couple of very common Tractors covering the 80's, 90's and 00's, both at St Mawgan so I guess you may have driven these Paul. The other Reliance Mercury at St Mawgan (NN97AA) had 'Trotters Independant Traders Ltd' in the back window, who would have been responsible for the humour; MT section, 203 Sqn or VASS ? Re St Mawgans Hesco Bastion, 'Jaguar Pens' I see the Council have now taken over ownership - Strange!

I remember asking Mr Parkins of Flightpath if he intended producing something on the lines we have been discussing but he ruled it out at the time - shame!

NN98AA204Aug08.jpg

00AY68August1997.jpg

I'm rather confused for so much interest. Probably the ground equipment theme could deserve a deeper interest by scale kit manufacturers.

Now, let me share some more links about the Sentinel/Douglas tug that I found the meantime:

This one is from http://www.fleetdata.co.uk/rally2002/. A closed cab variant.

60AN59.jpg

Again, from http://www.chrishodgephotos.co.uk/, an interesting promotional setup with a dressed-up tug and a Vulcan forward fuselage stub

04205.jpg

I also found that some other nice vintage pictures of this tug are on the RAF MT drivers' website, at http://www.rafmtd.co.uk/ but the access to full size images is reserved to subscribers so I must suggest to those concerned to contact directly the webmaster.

Luca

Edited by BravoLima

A couple of very common Tractors covering the 80's, 90's and 00's, both at St Mawgan so I guess you may have driven these Paul. The other Reliance Mercury at St Mawgan (NN97AA) had 'Trotters Independant Traders Ltd' in the back window, who would have been responsible for the humour; MT section, 203 Sqn or VASS ? Re St Mawgans Hesco Bastion, 'Jaguar Pens' I see the Council have now taken over ownership - Strange!

I remember asking Mr Parkins of Flightpath if he intended producing something on the lines we have been discussing but he ruled it out at the time - shame!

NN98AA204Aug08.jpg

00AY68August1997.jpg

yeah, i've driven 'Popeye's Taxi', i think it was VASS's 'yellow peril'! IIRC, the GSE boys at Mawgan used to bomb around in a much smaller version, similar to a baggage tractor. that bottom pic is an interesting one, i don't recall seeing the tractor in the foreground, but i remember the HMF Hallam similar to the one in the background well. there is still one living out it's days in Basrah at the moment. judging by it's condition i think it's been there since the invasion!

as for the council taking over the airfield, they have now errected a fence that runs down the road between HMF and GEF, along the old 203 pan fence and out onto the airfield, zig-zaging around the HAS site. the RAF now have no access at all to the airfield :(

Edited by paul_c

i remember the HMF Hallam similar to the one in the background well. there is still one living out it's days in Basrah at the moment. judging by it's condition i think it's been there since the invasion!

I don't recall there being Hallems out ther after the war and I was among the first into the airport to set up MT.

I can't remember what JHF were using but I don't think it was hallems

I don't recall there being Hallems out ther after the war and I was among the first into the airport to set up MT.

I can't remember what JHF were using but I don't think it was hallems

when JHF lost their Fastracs last year, it was replaced by the GEF Hallam until the Schopfs got delivered. i know, i was driving it for a while!

Edited by paul_c

[...]

and the latest addition to the fleet (used by all 3 services), the Schopf MATT (Medium Aircraft Towing Tractor): this thing even has air con!

DSCF1369.jpg

Hello Paul

In case you'd like to try an easy scratchbuilding project, the Schopf website features some technical data and tiny but readable drawings of their products, including this F59.

The link is here. If the address doesn't work at the first attempt, try pressing F5 or control-R to reload, in your browser, or reach it from the home page.

Hope this helps

Luca

Edited by BravoLima

Does anyone have photographs of the new large tractor with the large RAF Roundel painted on, Brize Norton has one or two. I think they have been around for two or three years now.

here you go mate, the RAF are being taken over by corporate branded Schopfs!

C3233D2E_1143_EC82_2E70D16176DF49C4.jpg

as an aside, at work today we recieved our new Schopf MATT, the same as the one in my earlier picture, but with Royal Navy corporate markings on the doors.

Here is a few pictures of the LATT's predecessor the RM 450

111.jpg

120.jpg

118.jpg

These were taken at MPA in '92 the first of my five tours there, and they scrapped the last one there last year.

Oh and ignore the buffoon with the cheesy grin...