EE Canberra B(I)8 Corrections

Scimitar F1

I have just made a start on my B(I)8 and was wondering what tweaks are necessary? It will be be a 3 Sqn machine with white lettering and black undersides. I have been trawling the web and various other builds for any corrections and these are what I have come up with:

I have amended these to take into account of all the excellent posts

Reshape bottom of leading edge of fin where it meets the fuselage

Reshape forward part of wingtip tanks and add detail (i.e. wire on top surface

Add MB Mk 2 seat (culled from a CA TT18)

Add some cockpit details

Change profile of rear of wingtips/ailerons - need to be more square in profile.

Sort airbrakes - ideally via decals (I think someone had a scan on here and was going to produce some).

Correctly assembly control surfaces to ensure that they fit

Fill in trenches on rudder

Thin jet pipe walls and rear nacelle walls

Add omega antenna (later silver/LAG underside period only?)

Add id lights under front fuselage. There is a clear picture of these on p59 of WT340 in the Delve/Green/Clemons book.

Control column, use PART 43 and NOT part 8 as per instructions

Engine nacelles only have 1 starter cartridge exhaust instead of 3 & exhausts inside the nacelle incorrect.

Antennae - DO NOT FIT PARTS 37A, 38A & 39A (Instruction Stage 39) as these were NOT fitted to the RAF Mk8

Fill in the two small "B2" equip bay doors (Thanks Bex for these)

Reshape elevator tips see this link http://www.ipmsusa2.org/Reviews/Kits/Aircr...48_canberra.htm (thanks Rick)

Scribe details on to tailplanes

Remove 'stub' from said tailplanes so that leading edge line is extended to join with fuselage

Tone down or rescribe fuselage panel lines (particularly longitudinal variety)

Lengthen bomb aimers optically flat glass to join with fuselage

Move navigators window

Reshape windows on either side of bomb aiming position (top is worse than bottom)

Rescribe bombay doors if gun pack fitted as front pair of doors could open independently

Edited to take the latest posts into account.

Has anyone noted any others? Apparently there is something wrong with the front of the nacelles but it has eluded me to date.

Will

Edited by Scimitar F1
  • Like 1

There are no vortex generators on the B(I)8, only the PR9. The control surfaces are ok as well, you just need to be careful to cement the correct parts together (one thin and one thicker per aileron) otherwise you will end up with different thicknesses. By spoilers doyou mean airbrakes? If so then there is a pattern although the ouline shape of the airbrake is not quite right.

Tony :clif:

I havent looked at my Mk8 kit yet, but, after the last couple of days, I will dig it out tomorrow and check it over, and report back :thumbsup2:

Bex

You'll need to change the outline of the tips of the elevators - not rounded enough.

Add aerial plinth under nose - omega??

cheers

Rick

Add aerial plinth under nose - omega??

cheers

Rick

Wasnt fitted to Mk8 :thumbsup2:

Now then folks, Ive noticed a few other boo boo's that are quite important:

Control column, use PART 43 and NOT part 8 as per instructions

Engine nacelles only have 1 starter cartridge exhaust instead of 3 & exhausts inside the nacelle incorrect.

Antennae - DO NOT FIT PARTS 37A, 38A & 39A (Instruction Stage 39) as these were NOT fitted to the RAF Mk8

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

To add to other tweaks suggested you also might want to add the three id. lights and cover just behind the front undercarriage bay. I thought these were only on B.2 but I've got at least a couple of pics which show them clearly on the B(I).8 also.

That error in misnumbering the aileron parts in the instructions caught me out and was ******* difficult to fix when I realised what had happened!!!!

I'm currently working on B.2 and am still trying to find out exact pattern of underwing airbrakes and exact shape of fuel filler access panels on fuselage.

HTH

Andy

Edited by andym

Andy, would love to see your Mk8 photos showing those lights, and give me an hour and I think I can sort out your B2 needs :thumbsup2:

Bex

No probs Bex. the books are at home so I'll bring them to office on Monday and scan pics in (dont have scanner at home). I must admit I was surprised to see them on Mk.8 too. I'm beginning to wonder if they were fitted to several other Mk's too?

I have to say that all these details you posted from the B.2 manual where really helpful in accurizing the B.2.

Andy

No probs Bex. the books are at home so I'll bring them to office on Monday and scan pics in (dont have scanner at home). I must admit I was surprised to see them on Mk.8 too. I'm beginning to wonder if they were fitted to several other Mk's too?

Thanks Andy :thumbsup2: Well this ones got my attention thats for sure, couldve sworn they were just an early B2 fit :hmmm:

I have to say that all these details you posted from the B.2 manual where really helpful in accurizing the B.2.

Andy

Youre most welcome, Im working on the basis of "Ive now got a chance to help out everyone thats helped me" :yahoo:

I cant find anything on the fuel filler, but, its a small square metal plate, with a circular centre section that has a quick release in the centre of that, Im afraid I cant remember the dimensions off the top of my head.

Oh, if anyone wants a copy of the 2 Martin Baker Bang Seat Mk2 Manuals, drop me a PM.

All Ive got on the air brakes, is these 2 photos:

wt333airbrakes01on6.jpg

wt333airbrakes02ar5.jpg

NOTE: THESE TWO PHOTOS OF WT333 ARE COPYRIGHT OF JOHN DAVIDSON

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

Wasnt fitted to Mk8 :thumbsup2:

Hi Bex

not sure about that - I was referring to this one - you can see it just behind the shark's mouth on the Colerne shot and just under the trestle mark on the XM279 shot.

I must admit I have not seen it on night intruder examples so maybe it was a retro-fit once they moved over to day scheme?

WT346colerne.jpg

Xm279.jpg

Any thoughts?

cheers

Rick

Hi Bex

not sure about that - I was referring to this one - you can see it just behind the shark's mouth on the Colerne shot and just under the trestle mark on the XM279 shot.

I must admit I have not seen it on night intruder examples so maybe it was a retro-fit once they moved over to day scheme?

Any thoughts?

cheers

Rick

Rick,

Thank you for the correction :thumbsup2: I think you must be right with your assessment, because all the photos I have are of their early careers which doesnt show that antenna at all :hmmm:

Bloody Canberras :lol:

Bex

There are no vortex generators on the B(I)8, only the PR9. The control surfaces are ok as well, you just need to be careful to cement the correct parts together (one thin and one thicker per aileron) otherwise you will end up with different thicknesses. By spoilers doyou mean airbrakes? If so then there is a pattern although the ouline shape of the airbrake is not quite right.

Tony :clif:

I am a victim of the aileron issue!!! I found out about it well after I assembled them....... Sucks to be me!!

Hey Bex - no probs - pleased to be of any assistance at all!

Any clue what they are - certainly look like omega to me - anybody else?

Rick

Rick,

Not sure at the moment, but Im going hunting to find out :yahoo:

Will,

I think we're getting there, got a nice list now havent we :yikes:

Bexy

Hi Scimitar F1

take a look at this review - maybe you've already seen it!

It details the elevator tips issue although I would argue that even then he hadn't brought the radius far enough forwards but it's still a major improvement on the kit.

cheers

Rick

http://www.ipmsusa2.org/Reviews/Kits/Aircr...48_canberra.htm

Thanks Rick. Another good tip. The kit is shaping up to be perfect - enough to do to keep you from feeling like an assembler but not so much you get sick of it.

Will

Hi Scimitar F1

take a look at this review - maybe you've already seen it!

It details the elevator tips issue although I would argue that even then he hadn't brought the radius far enough forwards but it's still a major improvement on the kit.

cheers

Rick

http://www.ipmsusa2.org/Reviews/Kits/Aircr...48_canberra.htm

Re: my previous comment on the RA7 cartridge exhausts being incorrect (1 instead of 3) this photo on Airliners shows the 3 plumes of cartridge exhaust perfectly allowing you to work out where they should be :thumbsup2:

Airliners.Net Linky

EDIT: And another WT333 again

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the inaccurate tailplane roots, so far its an issue that hasn't been picked up by any of the reviews, online or in the media, plenty of reference images on this forum show the problem clearly enough.

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the inaccurate tailplane roots, so far its an issue that hasn't been picked up by any of the reviews, online or in the media, plenty of reference images on this forum show the problem clearly enough.

Do you mean where the verticle stabilizer meets the fuselage? Or have we missed something else?

Bex

are we referring to the lack of gap under the tailplane - a feature captured by Airfix themselves with their 1/72 example 25+ years ago.....??

Rick

Do you mean where the verticle stabilizer meets the fuselage? Or have we missed something else?

Bex

Thats the puppy, there shouldn't be a horizontal stub at the root of the tailplanes, though if it's eliminated then the tailplanes and elevators need lengthening to make up the shortfall...

Spad is also right, the whole root area is sadly lacking in features as well as the inaccuracy...

Thats the puppy, there shouldn't be a horizontal stub at the root of the tailplanes, though if it's eliminated then the tailplanes and elevators need lengthening to make up the shortfall...

Spad is also right, the whole root area is sadly lacking in features as well as the inaccuracy...

Thanks Modeller, youre a star........... I couldve sworn Will had that one his modified post No.1 Anyways, something else we've now got cleared up :yahoo:

Bex