Useful site for Nikon-users

jenshb

Thanks for posting Jens. Found that very useful. I'm looking at making the leap into DSLR photography. I've done a fair bit of 35mm in the past and currently have a Nikon 801s and a good range of AF-S lenses that I have aquired over the years (both Nikon and Sigma). I can't make my mind up whether I should stick with Nikon and just buy a body when I go digital. Apparently I'd be able to use a lot of my lenses on the new body. I don't know if any of my other bits eg flashguns, cable releases etc would also be compatible?

Then again maybe I would be better just switching 100% over to digital and starting from scratch. Do you know if there is any difference in performance using AF-S lenses on a digital body?

Or maybe a move totally away from Nikon. Any thoughts on this mate? :unsure:

PS I'm assuming you're a Nikon user. Apologies if you're not. Regards,

Gary.

Hi Gary,

My old (film) camera was a Canon EOS, and a few years ago, I had a few hours to kill at Gatwick, so I went to the duty free shop to look for advice on a digital SLR. After spending an hour holding, snapping and printing out pics on the same printer, I eventually settled on the Nikon D50 as opposed to the Canon nearest equivalent. I simply thought that the Nikon took better pics and it fit a lot better in my hand as well as I preferred the controls. I have no idea whether the old lenses can be used on a new Nikon camera, or how good they would be. If you stay with Nikon bodies, then you may be able to use your current lenses (and save a bit of money - or at least spread the cost of renewing your kit), but if you make a clean break, then you will incur a lot of expenses up front. As for what body to choose, I am sure you will find devotees of Nikon as well as Canon, so I can't help you there.

Jens

Thanks for the advice Jens. I think I'm going to have to do a lot more research into the subject before splashing out the hard-earned. It's really hard to get impartial advice from places like camera shops though.............. I always wonder if I'm being told the truth :fraidnot:

Thanks again,

Gary.

Yes, I understand your worry about the lack of impartial advice. The chap at Dixon's at Gatwick was quite good, and I felt he knew what he was talking about. He even agreed that the Nikon seemed to be the better camera from the prints, even though it was a tad cheaper. I decided to trust him, but I am sure there are people there who give advice based on their sales targets rather than what the customer wants and needs.

Jens

Thanks for the advice Jens. I think I'm going to have to do a lot more research into the subject before splashing out the hard-earned. It's really hard to get impartial advice from places like camera shops though.............. I always wonder if I'm being told the truth :fraidnot:

Thanks again,

Gary.

I'd like to think that I can offer good old fashioned advice...and yes, I can be impartial!

I'd be happy to chat through the pros and cons if you want.

Rich

T4 Cameras

PM me

I'd like to think that I can offer good old fashioned advice...and yes, I can be impartial!

I'd be happy to chat through the pros and cons if you want.

Rich

T4 Cameras

PM me

Thanks for the offer Rich. Will definately get back to you on that one. Will PM you when I have more time..............just setting off for work now. Regards,

Gary. :)

I also had a load of Nikon lenses and didn't want to buy Canon. When I didn't have four kids to feed I was using Nikon F2/F4/F90 bodies but felt decidedly mean when it came to going digital. I went for the cheapo D50 and really can't complain, its a bid plasticy but that also keeps it light. I might have gone a bit higher up the range if I had appreciated how good they were before buying it. None of my lenses have built in motors so the D40/D40x was not an option for me.

Colin

I also had a load of Nikon lenses and didn't want to buy Canon. When I didn't have four kids to feed I was using Nikon F2/F4/F90 bodies but felt decidedly mean when it came to going digital. I went for the cheapo D50 and really can't complain, its a bid plasticy but that also keeps it light. I might have gone a bit higher up the range if I had appreciated how good they were before buying it. None of my lenses have built in motors so the D40/D40x was not an option for me.

Colin

Not really sure if my lenses have motors or not. That's one thing I'm going to have to look into.

Thanks Colin :)

None of my lenses have built in motors so the D40/D40x was not an option for me.

Colin

That was one reason I went for the D50 rather than the D40 (That and the fact I got a twin lens set for the same price), as the fact that the D40 doesn't autofocus with non-AF-S lenses, which limited the aftermarket purchasing options.

Also, I felt the D40 was just too small for my larger hands.