Yes - even more RIAT!

Bennygman

Wow! you guys have been busy with the photo posts, while I was stuck at Sunny/Rainy Fairford :) I won't duplicate the fine static coverage, and I haven't looked at my cards from the show days, so here's a few from Monday in P&V West...

What a monster...

IMG_9630.jpg

Great seeing this powering up in front of me ...

IMG_9622.jpg

Some exotic visitors...

IMG_9599.jpg

I do like a head-on taxi shot...

IMG_9584.jpg

Always think this might be my last chance to photograph a 'Spook' ...

IMG_9543.jpg

Awesome (Sorry, been reading the Thunderbird's brochure) sight and sound from the Pave-low

IMG_9433.jpg

Now, if you were driving the truck, wouldn't you be just a teeny bit nervous?

IMG_9422.jpg

This was one of those "he isn't is he? oh sh*t, yes he is!" moments ...

IMG_9429.jpg

A good day for big choppers ...

IMG_9404.jpg

RAF's new toy...

IMG_9401.jpg

The day's second best departure - fast and low by the Italians...

IMG_9561.jpg

And the best, low, slow and with multiple wing-overs by the boys from th 81st. Have to say these guys are the most crowd-friendly aircrew I've come across. They've been a credit to the USAF during their summer in the UK... (note the 'hang loose' gesture by the pilot)...

IMG_9392.jpg

All in all, a cracking day, and at £16 still the best value for money to be had over the Fairford weekend.

Hopefully I can sort out a few from the show days tomorrow.

Steve.

Cracking shots Steve. Judging by your photo's Id say that the P&V West was a better location than East. I guess you miss the flash jockeys that point the nose straight up in the air, but at least your getting the rotary stuff that end.

Might give that end a go next time.

Edited by Gary West

Thanks guys, it was a great day especially after soggy Sunday.

Phil, help yourself mate, PM me if you'd like a bigger version or my A-10 walk around from Waddo (including the rear-end).

Gary, I like to think of P&V West as the 'gentleman's end' (so to speak). It's a lot less hectic than East. When I arrived at about 06:30 there were more queuing for East than I saw in West by mid-afternoon. The only downside as you say is that some of the flash buggers (RAF Typhoon, Mirages and Sadly the Indians) go off like rockets opposite the FRIAT stand (over to you Andy). Thankfully some of the others realise that low and fast is just as spectacular and you get a few wing-waves too.

What say we make a day of it next year?

Steve.

Excellent pics. Can't say which is my fave but the A-10 wingover is quite something. mmmmm...

K

IMG_9433.jpg

The day's second best departure - fast and low by the Italians...

IMG_9561.jpg

Great pics steve once again, you do forget how big the pave lows are I remember seeing one in guam 10 years ago, it's like a bus with a rotor attached simply massive.

The pic of the Italians is awesome as well, love the exhaust cone out the back. :speak_cool:

IMG_9401.jpg

Now for the silly question, what sort of plane is this and what does it do?? Is it maritime patrol or AWACs??

Edited by KiwiSteve

Great pics steve once again, you do forget how big the pave lows are I remember seeing one in guam 10 years ago, it's like a bus with a rotor attached simply massive.

Now for the silly question, what sort of plane is this and what does it do?? Is it maritime patrol or AWACs??

Thanks Steve - the Pave Low is one of those times when I wish I had a video camera. He was sitting about 20-30 feet away for near on ten minutes - the visuals are only about 30% of the total effect :) . He then took off directly over our heads!

Slightly dodgy pic - but you get the idea...

PICT0152.jpg

Well, the plane is the new Sentinel R1 (I think a conversion of one of the CLJ something-or-other regional jetliners). Someone else (Gary?) will have to confirm it's mission, but I think it's an Electronic Intelligence gatherer.

Steve.