A Gathering of Spitfires in 1/48

On a bit of a 1/48 Spitfire binge at the moment. I know Spitfires have been done to death but I like them.

I've finished a few now so here they are in a sort of Mark order. Mostly finished with Xtracrylics and a hairy stick.

Firstly, one I built a little while ago. The new(ish) Airfix MkI in the marking of K9795 of 19Sqn. Not a bad kit but not possible to display the canopy open as the transparencies were too thick.

AirfixMkI_1.jpg

AirfixMkI_2.jpg

Next the Tamiya MkI. Nice kit no real problems. In 610 Sqn Battle of Britain markings from the kit decals.

TamiyaMkI_1.jpg

TamiyaMkI_3.jpg

Third, Fujimi MkV in the markings of BM344 KH-P of 403 Sqn Decals courtesy of Aeromaster sheet 48-682. Not sure about this one. Has a lot of shape inaccuracies but builds up OK. Might scale out at about 1/50 though.

FujimiMkV_1.jpg

FujimiMkV_2.jpg

Fourth

Tamiya MkV. Like the MkI a very nice kit that clicks together. Again decals from Aeromaster 48-682 as AR501 NN-D from 310 Sqn. This is the aircraft preserved at Shuttleworth. I know it has normal wingtips now but it had clipped wings in the 1980s when I saw it.

TamiyaMkV_3.jpg

TamiyaMkV_2.jpg

Fifth

Hasegawa/Aeroclub MkXII. Finished as MB882 EB-B from 41Sqn. Uses the Aeroclub fuselage with the rest from the Hasegawa MkIX. My first “conversion” and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. A bit of fettling required but not too bad. Many thanks to member davidelvy for the decals.

Is this the best looking Spitfire Mark or what?

HasegawaAeroclubMkXII_1.jpg

HasegawaAeroclubMkXII_3.jpg

HasegawaAeroclubMkXII_2.jpg

Lastly for now

Italeri MkXVI. This kit was actually OK. Finished with the kit decals as TB900 GE-D of 349Sqn.

ItaleriMkXVI_1.jpg

ItaleriMkXVI_3.jpg

Nearly finished are the Airfix MkIX and the Airfix F.24

On the "to-do" are the ICM MkVII and MkIX, the Academy MkXIVc and XIVe and the Airfix F.22 and Seafire FR.47 and L.III. Oh and a Tropical MKV from Tamiya

Sorry about the post size I should post more often.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Dereknf

I'm NOT worthy !! :worthy::worthy:

V V Good U did a great job,more than once !! :speak_cool::thumbsup::goodjob::frantic::worthy::cheers::clap2::yahoo::king:

From another Spitfreak!! Bazza

P.S the Fujimi one is rather "suss" compared to the (IMO) Far superior Tammy jobs!!

NOT your Fault !!

Trouble is....that's got my,(Spitfire),creative juices going !! :thumbsup:

Edited by Bazza

Thanks for the kind comments folks. I'll update the thread when I get the Airfix MkIX and F.24 finished. ICM MKVII and Tamiya VB trop next as I am getting fed up with Ocean grey and dark green.

Thanks for the kind comments folks. I'll update the thread when I get the Airfix MkIX and F.24 finished. ICM MKVII and Tamiya VB trop next as I am getting fed up with Ocean grey and dark green.

As someone,quite famous*,once said,"Give me a Squadron,of Spitfires!!"

So my answer,is...

"Certainly Sir,how would you like 'em??

1/72nd?,1/48th?,1/32nd?,1/24th?1/144th?,or Full-Sized??

Brown/Green?,Green/Grey?,Brown/Sand?,Dark-Grey/Green-Grey?,Overall Aluminium?,PRU Blue?,PRU Pink?,CamoTint?,Black?

Normal Wings?,Clipped Wings?,Extended Wings?

With Eight Machine-Guns?Two Cannon/Four Machine-Guns?,Two Cannon/Two Heavy Machine-Guns?,Four Cannon?,or None at all??

With,or without Cameras?

Merlin Engines do You?,or would you much prefer the Griffin,instead?

Do let me Know,won't You??"

WOW!! What a Diversity!! :speak_cool::thumbsup::whistle::worthy:

*Generallieutenant Adolf Galland

Cheers Baz

Edited by Bazza

Some new additions

The Airfix Mk. IX. Not very impressed with this kit. I had read good things about it but I’m afraid it struck me as typical Airfix. Could have been great but failed on simple things. Fit quality was poor at times and need lots of “fettling” to get things to fit. The wings are far too thick which means the wing tips don’t fit properly. Anyway here it is. Finished as EN398, Johnnie Johnson’s JE-J from the Victory Production “Aces of the Empire” decals sheet.

AirfixMkIX.jpg

Next the Airfix F.24 Not too bad as a kit, apart from the cockpit canopy but decals were poor so I finished it with Eagle strike decals from sheet 48-160 as VN309 from 80 Sqn at Hong Kong.

AirfixF24.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Next up is the Tamiiya MkVb trop and the ICM MkVII

Intresting comments on the IX as i was planning to use the Airfix kit for them in my collection, maybe not now after reading your comments..

Your Mk24 is a very nice model, i have just finished one in the same markings recantly. Im looking forward to seing the next pairing as i plan to do the Vbs soon. The ICM VII is also on my to build list.

Some new additions

The Airfix Mk. IX. Not very impressed with this kit. I had read good things about it but I’m afraid it struck me as typical Airfix. Could have been great but failed on simple things. Fit quality was poor at times and need lots of “fettling” to get things to fit. The wings are far too thick which means the wing tips don’t fit properly. Anyway here it is. Finished as EN398, Johnnie Johnson’s JE-J from the Victory Production “Aces of the Empire” decals sheet.

AirfixMkIX.jpg

Next the Airfix F.24 Not too bad as a kit, apart from the cockpit canopy but decals were poor so I finished it with Eagle strike decals from sheet 48-160 as VN309 from 80 Sqn at Hong Kong.

AirfixF24.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Next up is the Tamiiya MkVb trop and the ICM MkVII

Hi there,it's Bazza,(again!!)

Thanks for showing the MkIX,(warts'n'all),that wing,.....it doesn't LOOK quite right does it ??

The outer shape is rather,IMO,too blunt,& square.

Blame Airfix!! Otherwise it's looking good !!

i CANNOT believe you hand-painted them !! i am definitely NOT worthy!! :worthy::worthy::worthy::crying:

Cheers,Bazza.

BTW,what Galland actually said,was,.....

"Geben Sie mir eine Staffel von Schpitfueren !!".

Edited by Bazza

Latest addition. The Tamiya Vb Trop. This one finished in the markings of ER220, Neville Duke's 92 squadron aircraft. Decals from the Victory decals "Aces of the Empire" sheet.

finished1.jpg

Hi,now that IS good,keep it up Derek,mate ! :speak_cool:

Edited by Bazza

Fourth

Tamiya MkV. Like the MkI a very nice kit that clicks together. Again decals from Aeromaster 48-682 as AR501 NN-D from 310 Sqn. This is the aircraft preserved at Shuttleworth. I know it has normal wingtips now but it had clipped wings in the 1980s when I saw it.

Hasn't got any wingtips at the moment, or wings, or tail, or an engine... ;)

Cracking collection. :)

Edited by Vickers McFunbus

The latest one. ICM MK VII in the markings of Wing Commander Pete Brothers who sadly died just last December.

Not a particularly easy build but if tackled with care and forward planning it looks OK. The ICM kits come with a complete engine which I fitted just to give the propeller and the exhausts something to stick to. The firewall also forces the fuselage to be too wide for a sensible dihedral so the kit required lots of drying fitting. Anyway , here it is.

10finishedback.jpg

9finishedfront.jpg

Edited by Dereknf