Hawker Demons

Christopher

Given the quality of the colour printing available in the mid 1950s, I wouldn't read too much into the appearance. Beyond that stone is different to the yellow, and that the artist also assumed mauve to be a fairly light colour. As opposed to Roger Lindsay's "deep mauve", perhaps.

The MAM issue is December 2008, with a reproduction of an MoD sheet covering the RAuxAF units. The yellow is above the mauve - although the sheet is undated it clearly is postwar, from the 608 Sq markings.

I would go with the mid stone, yes. I think that should be uncontroversial. Perhaps just a touch more red in the mauve? (If the magazine reproduction of the MoD reproduction can be taken as definitive......)

The Extradecal is based on the Caruana artwork, which is just plain wrong. I did task RC with that (on Air Warfare Forum), to which he responded that 607's colours were referred to as red and yellow. He didn't specify where. David Hannant reckoned that issuing a correction would be more expensive than it was worth - fair enough. I was left with the presumption that had the correct colours been in the artwork, another unit would have to have been chosen for the transfer sheet, but that may be reading too much into his comments!

Given the quality of the colour printing available in the mid 1950s, I wouldn't read too much into the appearance. Beyond that stone is different to the yellow, and that the artist also assumed mauve to be a fairly light colour. As opposed to Roger Lindsay's "deep mauve", perhaps.

The MAM issue is December 2008, with a reproduction of an MoD sheet covering the RAuxAF units. The yellow is above the mauve - although the sheet is undated it clearly is postwar, from the 608 Sq markings.

I would go with the mid stone, yes. I think that should be uncontroversial. Perhaps just a touch more red in the mauve? (If the magazine reproduction of the MoD reproduction can be taken as definitive......)

The Extradecal is based on the Caruana artwork, which is just plain wrong. I did task RC with that (on Air Warfare Forum), to which he responded that 607's colours were referred to as red and yellow. He didn't specify where. David Hannant reckoned that issuing a correction would be more expensive than it was worth - fair enough. I was left with the presumption that had the correct colours been in the artwork, another unit would have to have been chosen for the transfer sheet, but that may be reading too much into his comments!

Best I can do is supply this scan

colours.jpg This came from 'Aircraft Camouflage And Markings 1907-1954' Bruce Robertson. Colours are certainly way off but this book was printed in the late 1950s. At least it shows the colours the right way up. Although I have a few photographs of 607s Demons I had never noticed that some appeared upside down. Simon....that Hurricane....no, I better shut up.

Best Wishes.

Robert.

The Extradecal is based on the Caruana artwork, which is just plain wrong. I did task RC with that (on Air Warfare Forum), to which he responded that 607's colours were referred to as red and yellow. He didn't specify where.

They got the 603 colours completely wrong as well (in the Meteor sheet)

This came from 'Aircraft Camouflage And Markings 1907-1954' Bruce Robertson. Colours are certainly way off but this book was printed in the late 1950s. At least it shows the colours the right way up. Although I have a few photographs of 607s Demons I had never noticed that some appeared upside down.

Thanks for the scan Robert. Yellow/stone on top then, and presumably leading on the Demons' wing uppers.

Simon....that Hurricane....no, I better shut up.

Hurricane...?? :huh:

Regards

Simon

Thanks for the scan Robert. Yellow/stone on top then, and presumably leading on the Demons' wing uppers.

Hurricane...?? :huh:

Regards

Simon

Thats right, Mauve colour? pointing upwards and forwards on the upper wings. Hurricane P 2716, 607 Squadron....some doubt if that aircraft was 'F'.

Best Wishes.

Robert.

Thats right, Mauve colour? pointing upwards and forwards on the upper wings. Hurricane P 2716, 607 Squadron....some doubt if that aircraft was 'F'.

Best Wishes.

Robert.

Thanks Robert. I'll have another look at my Demon decals and make sure they're not upside down still!

And I see what you mean about the Hurricane now! That was done a few years back when I was a bit younger and a lot less knowlegable (or should I say even less knowlegable :blush:) about 607 Squadron, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! I really should get it changed...

Regards

Simon

• 3 months later...