AV-8B II Harrier Night Attack

marine4 ever

Sorry for the late start, I was finishing another build and never like to have two going at the same time(weird I know).O.K. here's the start of this build. I'm going to be using Aires' cockpit detail and Wheel bay set as well as Orions Models' canopy Det cord. As far as decals I want to do a High viz Harrier so i may just use the kits set for VMA-311 Tomcats. I do recall some high viz decals being bandied about but cannot for the life of me remember who did or is doing them. As of last night all that was done was to wash and remove the pour stubs from the main parts of the cockpit and wheel bay. and sand, sand, sand the front wheel bay to get this bugger to fit. Thanks for looking.

Semper Fi

Dan

19426597.jpg

Sorry for the late start, I was finishing another build and never like to have two going at the same time(weird I know)

Oh come on Marine, you mean to tell me you can't multi task... :whistle:

If it's Hi Vis 311 decals you are looking for I may have you covered. I take a look and send you a PM.

I guess now I'll have to get off my bottom and get back to work on my Fury now.

Semper Fi,

Mark

Oh come on Marine, you mean to tell me you can't multi task... :whistle:

If it's Hi Vis 311 decals you are looking for I may have you covered. I take a look and send you a PM.

I guess now I'll have to get off my bottom and get back to work on my Fury now.

Semper Fi,

Mark

The kit come with the High viz-311 decals....however my experience with Hase decals have never been overly positive. i Just may have to solvaset the heck out of them to get them to settle!

I can multi task...Mark :angrysoapbox.sml:. I just prefer to focus on the task at hand! Ya

anglico Jirene!

Semper fi

Dan

minor update to the thread! The carpet monster has struck! While working on the IP i dropped the PE IP and while searching for it bent the heck out of it. So I had to backtrack and use the Kit part(I'm not a huge fan of the Aires PE IP's anyway. So I've finished the Pit and IP added some detail to the coaming and sanded the front wheel bay to mate with Fuselage. next up will be the seats and the very confusing harness set-up.

Semper Fi

Dan

20645481.jpg

30688514.jpg

40730711.jpg

A small update today, but things should start moving faster now. Closed up the Pit and finished the radome nose. Completed the seat harness'(what a pain). closed the main fuselage parts and Vtol nozzles. Added a few small mesh details to the reverse vent ports on the tail. Today i'll fine tune detail the wheel bays(clean it up with some Mr. surfacer) and start on the top of the fuselage and LERX.

semper fi

Dan

53129829.jpg

63201428.jpg

73327867.jpg

83381267.jpg

Looking good Dan.

I hear ya on those seat harnesses, :shocked: I hate working with PE seat belts. Looks like you did a great job on them though.

Have you decided on a loadout yet?

Semper Fi,

Mark

nope, I haven't decided on a load out yet. Perhaps some aim 9's and Mk.83's or aim's and a gbu-12. not sure yet.

Semper fi

Dan

Hi Dan

Wonderful job on this ejection seat.

Did you burn the photo etched belts with a lighter before to make it softer?

Patrick

just a little, I find it makes the belts have a more natural look when they lay down.

Semper fi

Dan

Alright a significant update. After dry fitting the wheel bays several times. It is important not only to sand down the bays themselves but you have to sand the inside walls of the fuselage to avoid too tight a fit. also the first step of the front wheel bay(the one that touches the cockpit needs alot of sanding. almost to the point of sanding through. when i was done i could hol;d it up to the light and see light around the side walls and bottoms. the rear bay was much easier. mearly sanding the joining points to fit. i also attached this after the entire fuselage was glued. There is a step along the rear of the inside fuselage that should be sanded down to allow for a better join between the bay and fuselage.

for the noticeable step between the LERX and wing i used a piece of styrene rod to lift the LERX to get a better join(this i did after i attached the LERX to the fuselage) I do not recommend this! What a pain in the bottom! DO this before you attach LERX. i also used strip styrene to bridge the rather large gap st the wing and LERX underside.

So i'll shut up and get on with the Pic's

Semper Fi

Dan

101487344.jpg

dsc29260968783.jpg

121515280.jpg

111502614.jpg

131476301.jpg

The build quality sucks, but it's character building Marine, stop whining drop and give me 20.

Sorry, got carried away!

• 2 weeks later...

Daaaaang!... That was fast.

Well done Dan. This build is motivating me to build a Harrier. I've been waiting for the Flying Leathernecks Harrier sheet to be released but I'm just about ready to forget that idea and build one using some other marking I have.

Now lets see some decals on that sucker. :speak_cool:

Semper Fi,

Mark

Daaaaang!... That was fast.

Well done Dan. This build is motivating me to build a Harrier. I've been waiting for the Flying Leathernecks Harrier sheet to be released but I'm just about ready to forget that idea and build one using some other marking I have.

Now lets see some decals on that sucker. :speak_cool:

Semper Fi,

Mark

I'm actually about two weeks from being done! Still have to detail paint the bays, plemb the legs, spray a coat of clear and decal. Post shade and weather, then add the ordinance(which i haven't decided yet)! I have some very nice two bobs and superscale decals if your interested Mark!

Semper fi

Dan

Alright another update. scratch built some intake plugs from milliput and covered them with foil to give them a more natural look. I also have some Pitot covers I'm working on.The decals are down and I'm ready to seal them with a coat of future. Now on to the legs and loadout! I should have more pic's tonite.

Semper Fi

Dan

175931053.jpg

185938940.jpg

195916072.jpg