Boscombe down Hawk

Its nearly finished. Just ejection seats and intake guards to do.

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

Kit is a Revell item (my first one). I've always built airfix, and was told by a friend to try this. What a difference, won't be building an Airfix item again :analintruder:

Paint is sprayed from a rattle can, as i haven't got an airbrush. All masked off using tamiya tape then detailed with a brush.

...won't be building an Airfix item again :analintruder:

Nice job Speedy... but never say never! Sometimes you have a choice of Airfix, or nuthin'... Vulcan, for example! :shocked:

Good work there.

Interesting how people are down on Airfix, but their Hawk in 1/72 is better shaped than the Italeri.

I'm a big fan of the Italeri Hawk, when it came out in 1990/91 I bought a shed load of them, its a great little kit with nice detail and fantastic value for money.

But, as you say, the Airfix kit is better shaped - the Italeri kit suffers from a rather skinny nose, the shape at the rear of the canopy (and the subsequent fuselage cross section) is too angular and the jet pipe is undersized.

The Airfix kit has the more accurate shape but still depicts the HS.1182 and needs wing fences, vortex generators and vetral strakes to be a proper T.Mk.1 - tooling upgrades were suggested over the years, maybe the future, who knows?

Both I'd rate over the rather chunky Fujimi kit - dang, must get around to writing that modellers giude to the Hawk someday!

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Nice build - for Revell read Italeri, it's their Hawk kit.

Now that Qinetiq have repainted the Astra Hawk in gloss black, it isn't the same at all!

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1062867/M/

But looking at your location, I guess you know that!!

Yes "PathetiQ" have totally ruined the paint jobs. There are plans afoot to paint the fleet black, with the QQ (sorry i can't say it) sponsorship down the sides. They say its easier to see in all weathers, rather than traditional ripple. Harvard is going next year and i don't think the Andovers got much time left.

Nice work :thumbsup2: Where's the seats??

Seats have been ordered and am awaiting the postman........ thats why i put it in the WIP section. :hmmm:

Shape wise, I always thought the re-tooled Matchbox was the best.

Looking at one the other day I don't know whether the fuselage is a just a shade too chubby, especially around the nose.

Its a better shape than the Fujimi and Italeri kit for sure.

I must say I look forward to the first black Alpha Jet....

What do mean wait?, have you seen the state of them!. Most of the time the ripple stuff looks really quite clean, however......