painting skin tones...what's the best way?

yeehah1

27 02 09

Well, the topic header is the question..I have a 1/24 figure I want ot paint and having never done one before am at a bit of a loss to know where to start. Can anyone out there give me some advise about how to go about this please for a good realistic effect?

Thanks in advance

Liam

Thanks for the reference to Bannerman. I googled the suggested phrase and found a great "how to". My "Spring Break" vacation is next week and you know what I'll be doing. If I can manage to get some decent digital images I'll share.....

Patience is the key Dick, you have to let everything dry thoroughly between stages, if in doubt, leave it another day. Otherwise you end up with a mess, ask me how I know!!

Patience is the key Dick, you have to let everything dry thoroughly between stages, if in doubt, leave it another day. Otherwise you end up with a mess, ask me how I know!!

I agree with all our friends said previously.

I would recommend, however, Games Workshop paints and inks-they have a variety of skin tones. ( I am sure there are many others which are suitable but these work for me and have been created for figure work)

Also, Games Workshop publishes a great book on figure painting which addresses skin,eyes etc. as well as shading and shadowing with their excellent range of inks.

Really good brushes are also worth investing in-I find sable is best but in any event try and get brushes, particularly the smaller ones with the very thick stem-they are easier to use when fine detailing.

Always try to rest your palm on a firm surface when painting small details.

Always prime the figures with an appropriate base colour-I always use Games Workshop white as their range is designed for painting figures and is thinner than say the Tamiya equivalent which in itself is quite good when can sprayed from a distance (say 10").

Try and not to overload your brush-a slighly thinned mix (60/40) thinners to paint but experiment as different pigments will behave differently)with a small amount on the brush will be fine.

For skin and getting the right tones, I use the 3/3, 2/3 and 1/3 principle assuming the figure will be lit from above.

First paint with a light coat a middle basic skin colour over all of the skin areas.

Then very lightly with a more thinned and slightly lightened mix go over 2/3 from the bottom up but blend in with the base skin coat.

Then do the to 1/3 top area in a slighly more thinned and lighter coat and again blend in.

Add a little red to the lighter mix and apply a very thin coat to hands, elbows, cheeks, feet, knees etc.

Before painting in the detail, I always do a run on plain white paper to see if the line is thin enough for the detail I intend to paint,then if so I go straight straight to the model.

You will need very little paint and try not to have more than 1/3 to 1/2 of the brush with paint on-that way it will be firmer and have more of a spring to it and do the work for you.

If you run over too far on say an eyebrow or a moustache then it is often easier to touch in the larger area of skin around it than to remove and start again.

I have used this technique successfully on painting even eyebrows on 1/72 figures.

This all takes a lot of practice but when you get it right, which you will, it is so rewarding.

Kind regards.

Rob

Edited by rob challis

If it's the faces and skin tones you are worried about, the Andrea Miniatures produce a set of six flesh and tone paints with an instruction leaflet to guide you through the basics of flesh/face painting.

They also produce a set for black shading and white shading.

Almost be worth doing a Figure painting GB sometime in the future, I'm sure a lot of people would benefit from giving it a go as it's always been seen as a sort of dark art, and it can make or break a good kit. :hmmm:

• 3 weeks later...
Almost be worth doing a Figure painting GB sometime in the future, I'm sure a lot of people would benefit from giving it a go as it's always been seen as a sort of dark art, and it can make or break a good kit. :hmmm:

I would be up for that as I am sure I would learn a lot from my expert friends on Britmodeller.

Regards,

Rob

• 4 weeks later...
27 02 09

Well, the topic header is the question..I have a 1/24 figure I want ot paint and having never done one before am at a bit of a loss to know where to start. Can anyone out there give me some advise about how to go about this please for a good realistic effect?

Thanks in advance

Liam

I would suggest getting some Windsor-Newton #7 paint brushes. For wear they hold their points the best. I have been painting figure paiting for over 30 years now & from the beginning I have used these brushes. I was lucky when I started out in that I joined a figure painting club that had amongst its members some of the best figure painters in the U.S. Henry Lions & Mike Leonard spring to mind. I would suggest ,also trying to get in touch with the British Model Soldier Society. They might have a chapter near you. If their members are anything like MCNE members were you willl turn out first class figures in no time at all. Enjoy. Carl T :hypnotised:

27 02 09

Thanks in advance

Liam

I would suggest getting some Windsor-Newton #7 paint brushes. For wear they hold their points the best. I have been painting figure paiting for over 30 years now & from the beginning I have used these brushes. I was lucky when I started out in that I joined a figure painting club that had amongst its members some of the best figure painters in the U.S. Henry Lions & Mike Leonard spring to mind. I would suggest ,also trying to get in touch with the British Model Soldier Society. They might have a chapter near you. If their members are anything like MCNE members were you willl turn out first class figures in no time at all. Enjoy. Carl T :hypnotised: