Trumpeter 1/72 RA-5C Vigilante

dswoofie

Right... time to bring this up to date...

After doing the undersides I turned my attention to the Light Gull Grey uppersides. Masking off the Flaps I sprayed on a coat of Gunze Light Gull Grey, and the added some shading to the panel lines and rivets.

DSCF0716.jpg

Once that was done I give it another coat of Light Gull Grey and masked up the leading edge slats and the tail area around the exhausts to spray them. This was my first serious use of Alclads, and I was really surprised how easy they are!

DSCF0717.jpg

You'll also notice at the moment there has been a slight accident! After being dropped 3 times, yes 3, in the matter of a few minutes, one of the tailplanes broke off... Easy enough to fix, just annoying! :lol:

After this was done, I began the decalling process. Using my newly taught method of using Klear to apply them (thanks Jen ;) ) I find I'm quicker at doing them. Although there was a minor disaster at this point... when decalling the tail there was a cracking sound, and the next thing I knew the tail was back in two pieces again. My lovely join and re-scribe job had broken :S

DSCF0721.jpg

DSCF0722.jpg

One stunted Vigilante!

Anyway, I managed to get the part back on there without too much problem, although the join will never be the same :(

Once decalling was all done, I tried my hand at fading the markings so they would match in more with the weathered finish. I faded them with a really thin mix of each colour, and then added a little panel line shading and bits with an ever so slightly darker shade of the mix. Some other weathering and post shading was then added and the final parts applied to it.

All in all, it came out better than I expected, so that's a result!

DSCF0735.jpg

More pics in the 'Ready For Inspection' thread ;)

Karl.