1/72 Fairey Gannet COD.4

DamienB

I wouldn't normally be terribly worried about shortening the legs like that, but having built a Gannet in the past, I can appreciate just how much you need the gear to be strong in order to support the necessary noseweight! Maybe the after-market crew will give us some white metal gear for this one soon...

Aeroclub do a set but at £7.50 + p&p for bits I mostly won't need (includes cockpit & prop), I'll pass!

Having measured it all up the nose gear leg is about 1mm too high, which is down to the oleo extension; the main gear is 3mm too high but I can only get about 1.5mm out of shortening the oleo; the leg itself is too long so needs to be chopped. Bugger.

I've been amusing myself by drawing some Gannet profiles in the mean time, which can be seen over on Thunder & Lightnings.

xa466profile.jpg

12160profile.jpg

:whistle:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Right, after just over a year of the poor thing sitting on a filing cabinet gathering dust, I have restarted work on the Gannet COD.

First job, after getting all the dust off it, was chopping the main gear legs just above the scissor links, removing the excess height and drilling holes in the leg sections to accept some thin brass rod before gluing them back together. The sit of the aircraft is much more tail-down now, like the real thing, and I've decide the nose gear leg doesn't need similar surgery. Then I packed the nose gear bay with lead weights and glued the big doors on in the closed position. Add the props and exhausts and the beast sits quite happily on its three wheels - hooray!

Further trawling through photos found only two shots showing CODs with no main gear doors, so I have added these too. Unfortunately that means there's no room for the cargo pods to go on the pylons - I think I must have put them a little too far inboard. Far too late to fix that without lots more work so I'm just leaving the pylons bare.

With those bits done all that is left is to add various small aerials and add the wires between the upper fuselage masts and the little stabiliser fins. Not entirely sure how to do this but I have plenty of thin thread etc. available to play with. No pics yet, too busy throwing a Revell Hunter together more or less out-of-the-box!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the beast finished.

gannetbuild11.jpg

28 - radio aerial rigging from smoke coloured .004 inch nylon 'wonder invisible thread'. Fiddly to put in place but works a treat - basically wrap it around the point where you want it glued, add a dab of PVA glue, then hold the thread under tension e.g. by sticking another end down somewhere handy with masking tape. Once the glue has set you can snip off the excess and move on to the next attachment point. Also the twin pole aerials on the upper decking from stretched sprue.

29 - props on, I ended up gluing them solidly in place as the rear prop didn't move as freely as the front and there was an unsightly gap between the two prop bosses.

30 - towel rail aerial added from brass rod with plastic card supports.

31 - various wing aerials from plastic card

The really attentive will notice I've repainted the nose wheel hubs so they are green/red on the correct sides now...

Think I'll wait for daylight for some more piccies of the finished thing!

very enjoyable read having just gone through the whole thread which with the numbered references is superbly layed out.......great build & must build mine