• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

One of the troubles with Dr1s is choosing a scheme without the streaky green scheme. Yet more colourful non-green Fokkers?
Non RFC Camels in 1/32? Stripey 1RNAS Camels? Polish Albatrosses?

Hello Dave,

The 'Streaky Green Fokker' issue will shortly be solved by Microsculpt (in 48th scale initially). They will be selling their streaked decals very soon. Without giving a way too much, I can tell you that these will be our ticket to the perfect Fokker factory finish - every time. I plan a line up of JGII models from the new Pheon sheets using these.

I designed the DrI sheet with Microsculpt's decals specifically in mind. The streaked finish is notoriously difficult to perfect using paint, simply because paint behaves differntly at 1/48th of its original size and being applied to a plastic surface and with brushes which, no matter what you try, will not give the subtlety of touch that the scale demands. Others will no doubt disagree and claim that they have already achieved the perfect finish - until they see what these decals look like.

Keep the faith and remain in patient mode for the time being, they will be upon us soon enough and the door to all those subjects on the JGII sheet will be opened!

http://www.microsculpt.com/index.html

RNAS Camels will be coming - quite soon I hope (including the green/white/grey striped one you mention). Polish albatrosse? well, perhaps in due course - after Eduard's new kit hits the streets.

Edited by Rowan Broadbent, 08 April 2009 - 02:49 PM.

#22 drdave

drdave

Established Member

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

1/32 please Rowan. Did I see you are a Romsey Modeller? I am in Bishops Waltham and I was thinking of attending the next meeting.

#23 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

Hello Dave, do come to the next meeting, Wednesday next week, details on their website:

http://www.romseymod...club nights.htm

They're a friendly bunch and will make you very welcome. I'll be there with the new SPAD decals, if you're interested (and maybe a sneak view of the DrI!)

Edited by Rowan Broadbent, 09 April 2009 - 01:40 PM.

#24 Spad57

Spad57

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:35 PM

Rowan,
Any chance of decals for the SPAD XIII in 1/32 scale featuring the markings of Lt. Frank Luke's SPAD's.My all time favorite A.E.F pilot.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

#25 Repainted

Repainted

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hi Rowan
Been following your work whit deep interset, now the q will you follow up Wingnuts new Albatros Dv with some dazzling Jasta 5 decals??

Please

Regards
Larsa

#26 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hi Rowan
Been following your work whit deep interset, now the q will you follow up Wingnuts new Albatros Dv with some dazzling Jasta 5 decals??

Please

Regards
Larsa

Hello Larsa,

Yes, there will be three sets for the Albatros, details very soon, I'm just finishing off the three 32nd Pup sets to go to the printers, then it will be the Albatros' turn!

#27 T-Tango

T-Tango

See you over the Western Front.

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

Some generic roundels might be useful as well.

I'll second this sugestion, these would be very useful in all three scales Rowan.

#28 magpie

magpie

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:37 AM

I'll second this sugestion, these would be very useful in all three scales Rowan.

Agree, roundels in various sizes please.

#29 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

Agree, roundels in various sizes please.

The problem with RNAS/RFC/RAF roundels is that "generic" isn't possible, they were sized (mostly) to fit the wing chord and fuselage sides of each machine - standard sizes of roundel didn't come in until after the war. As the range increases I will be happy to provide distinct sets for one or more specific types. Indeed, for the Pup in 32nd scale I am producing sets of RFC and RNAS (with and without the white surround) to allow additional models to be built from the markings sets - which for 32013 (RFC) and 32014 (RNAS) only have one set included. Some may also wish to use them as an alternative to the WNW ones, provided with the kits. More on these shortly.

Edited by Rowan Broadbent, 03 April 2010 - 12:20 PM.

#30 Antoine

Antoine

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

Hello Rowan,

As you know, I'd get wingnuts D.V lattely, but I'm not that happy with the decals options.

Do you have plans to correct this?

Seeing your work, I might get also a pup, just to try.
:)

#31 eagledocf15

eagledocf15

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

How about Jasta 5 aircraft in 32nd? I love the Albatros and more JAsta 5 aircraft would be great! Thanks

Edited by eagledocf15, 17 May 2010 - 09:03 PM.

#32 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

How about Jasta 5 aircraft in 32nd? I love the Albatros and more JAsta 5 aircraft would be great! Thanks

Yes the first two sheets for the Albatros in 32nd scale will feature Jasta 5 aircraft - just as soon as I've got the Macchi and Halberstadt sets out I'll be getting on with them!

#33 riverstudio

riverstudio

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:51 AM

Hi Rowan,
Any chance of decals for the following in 1/32 -

MVR Collection
Nieuport II
Sopwith Camel
Siemens Schuckert D.II
Jasta Raben

Hope it's ok to make a request here.

Dave.

#34 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hi Rowan,
Any chance of decals for the following in 1/32 -

MVR Collection
Nieuport II
Sopwith Camel
Siemens Schuckert D.II
Jasta Raben

Hope it's ok to make a request here.

Dave.

Hello Dave,

Many thanks for the list of suggestions:

1. Manfred von Richthofen's Aircraft
I have done some preliminary work on these and was going to launch as a limited edition set. It is an area where there is much information but also a degree of controversy! I hope to produce something later this year in all three scales

2. Nieuport II (inc. Italian?)
Very high on my list, the Nieuport 11. I have plans for the Lafayette Escadrille as well as Italian subjects. Something soon on this I hope.

3. Sopwith Camels
Lots of scope for the Camel. The Hobbycraft kit (latest version) is a good basic kit but is crying out for some major detail upgrades in resin, including a Bentley BR1 engine and cowling which would then allow the colourful RNAS aircraft to be done. More on this later in the year.

4. Siemens Schuckert D.III (I assume it's the III you meant)
Well there are two problems; one is the quality of the Roden kit, which I think is fairly poor and the second is finding sufficient information for new schemes. I have been talking to Brian Fawcett about producing a comprehensive upgrade in resin but the closer we looked the more needed doing - complete fuselage halves for one thing - and the cost would be quite high, especially considering that the kit itself is not cheap. I am also waiting to see if Eduard produce an etched set.

5. Jasta Raben
I have already done a lot of preliminary designs for a set for this subject but there should be a new book coming next year which will no doubt contain a lot more information, so i'm waiting to see what that reveals.

Many thanks for your ideas, I hope the response at least gives you some hope of future coverage.

#35 Hypnobear

Hypnobear

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

Id like to see a set of Romanian, Hungarian and Bulgarian WW2 decals. I dont know many companies who do them, apart from Kora, and Im having to rely on buying other kits for the decals (still, at least that means more kits :) ) or asking Colin S-K

Edited by NAKAJIMA15, 26 May 2010 - 01:41 PM.

#36 riverstudio

riverstudio

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

Hello Dave,

Many thanks for the list of suggestions:

1. Manfred von Richthofen's Aircraft
I have done some preliminary work on these and was going to launch as a limited edition set. It is an area where there is much information but also a degree of controversy! I hope to produce something later this year in all three scales

2. Nieuport II (inc. Italian?)
Very high on my list, the Nieuport 11. I have plans for the Lafayette Escadrille as well as Italian subjects. Something soon on this I hope.

3. Sopwith Camels
Lots of scope for the Camel. The Hobbycraft kit (latest version) is a good basic kit but is crying out for some major detail upgrades in resin, including a Bentley BR1 engine and cowling which would then allow the colourful RNAS aircraft to be done. More on this later in the year.

4. Siemens Schuckert D.III (I assume it's the III you meant)
Well there are two problems; one is the quality of the Roden kit, which I think is fairly poor and the second is finding sufficient information for new schemes. I have been talking to Brian Fawcett about producing a comprehensive upgrade in resin but the closer we looked the more needed doing - complete fuselage halves for one thing - and the cost would be quite high, especially considering that the kit itself is not cheap. I am also waiting to see if Eduard produce an etched set.

5. Jasta Raben
I have already done a lot of preliminary designs for a set for this subject but there should be a new book coming next year which will no doubt contain a lot more information, so i'm waiting to see what that reveals.

Many thanks for your ideas, I hope the response at least gives you some hope of future coverage.

Hi Rowan,

That all sounds wonderfully positive....and interesting about the Jasta Raben book.

I am sure we will be purchasing many of your decals sheets, especially considering the great feedback that those who have received them report.

Looking forward to the 3 Sopwith Pup sets arriving in the near future.

Thank you again.

Dave.

#37 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

Id like to see a set of Romanian, Hungarian and Bulgarian WW2 decals. I dont know many companies who do them, apart from Kora, and Im having to rely on buying other kits for the decals (still, at least that means more kits :) ) or asking Colin S-K

Hmmmmmmm.... not really my "thing" and I doubt that there would be much of a market outside the home countries. Radu Brinzan does some Romanian stickers in various scales/sizes, very good quality:

http://www.radubstor...8c273be1b386a77

Hi Rowan,

That all sounds wonderfully positive....and interesting about the Jasta Raben book.

I am sure we will be purchasing many of your decals sheets, especially considering the great feedback that those who have received them report.

Looking forward to the 3 Sopwith Pup sets arriving in the near future.

Thank you again.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, the Pups should be ready very soon now.

#38 Pielstick

Pielstick

Engineers do it without looking at the manual!

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:27 AM

I've got quite a few 1/48 Nieuport and SPAD kits which are waiting for RFC/RNAS decals....

:whistle: :pray:

#39 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:42 AM

I've got quite a few 1/48 Nieuport and SPAD kits which are waiting for RFC/RNAS decals....

:whistle: :pray:

You're not alone! I already have most of the design work done for SPAD VIIs of the RFC. Originally they were to be part of a set with Belgian SPADs, but now will appear with SPAD XIIIs in an all RFC set, a little later in the year. I am currently working on a series of Nieuport drawings and I aim to have decal sets for these during the year in British, Italian and French markings (including the Lafayette Escadrille).

#40 Pielstick

Pielstick

Engineers do it without looking at the manual!

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

Fantastic!!! I'll definitelly be getting myself some when you release them.

Now any chance of some RFC decals for a 1/48 Morane Saulnier Type N?