Pitts Special

John B (Sc)

Help please. Does anyone know of a currently available Pitts Special kit? I know Platz recently 'reissued' their old kit, though it only seems to have been in Japan.

Any others - or any UK suppliers known of? In fact are there Pittses around in any other scale at all - except at R/C sizes.

Thanks

John B

Help please. Does anyone know of a currently available Pitts Special kit? I know Platz recently 'reissued' their old kit, though it only seems to have been in Japan.

Any others - or any UK suppliers known of? In fact are there Pittses around in any other scale at all - except at R/C sizes.

Thanks

John B

LS Models used to make a 1/72 kit. I built one many many years ago and MAN was it tiny!! Of course its long OOP.

Maybe worth a look on ebay??

Cheers

Mike

I think AModel has a 1:72 Pitts in the works and Ian of Heritage Aviation has announced the intention to produce a 1:48 resin Pitts.

L.D.M. models produced some very nice 1:48 white metal kits of the Pitts S1 and S2 in the 1980s. These are now OOP but still pop up from time to time on eBay. I built the L.D.M. S2A last year.

IMGP2606.jpg

IMGP2605.jpg

IMGP2604.jpg

:giles:

Darius

In 1/72 scale are the previously mentioned Platz and Amodel kits that are the most readily available, I believe. The Platz kits are the LS moldings repackaged in various forms (mostly to the Japanese home market). It's the 2 seat S-2A version with a single canopy and the fwd cockpit covered. Despite the box art, they all seem to be the same LS/Arii plastic. These kits come 2 to a box and look to be a better quality molding than the short run Amodel one.

Platz example

another Platz

The AModel is another S-2 and still available through some mail order houses (though not Hannants it seems) :fraidnot:

Amodel Pitts

The 1/32 scale S-2A resin kits of Airshow models went away with the company. I hope they re-appear someday as there was a real following (excellent kits!). Even further back is an Aeroclub 1/32 S-1 vacuform that you may come across on the rare occasion. HTH

Gary

Edited by Aerobat

• 2 weeks later...
Hannants do have the Amodel Pitts listed on their website.

Just a note for those interested, I had the Amodel kit a few years ago and it was noticeably smaller than the LS/Platz one (at least 1 cm...). Don't know who's right but after obtaining a few of the much finer Platz re-releases I got rid of the russian kit.

Cheers

Fabio