Airfix Hunter

AnonymousA667

I began this for a GB, but got rapidly bogged down fitting the SAM resin bits. The resin and some decals I bought for early Hunters were not cheap so rather than binning I am determined to finish it in some shape or form.

265639860.jpg

265639859.jpg

I really cannot recommend this combination of kit and resin conversion, it would be easier to start with a Revell kit. They must surely release a boxing with the early wing at some stage.

peebeep

I really cannot recommend this combination of kit and resin conversion, it would be easier to start with a Revell kit. They must surely release a boxing with the early wing at some stage.

Do you have any pictures of what's included in the conversion? Why couldn't the Revell kit be used as the base kit ? Looks like the resin wing wouldn't be needed for the Revell kit - just some plastic to fill in where the extension is fitted. I guess all that's required, in this case, is the "short" exhaust?

Gene K

Here's the bits that I started with:

265672097.jpg

The cockpit bits are borrowed from a Revell Hunter which in turn has a CMK set allocated to it.

I started with the Airfix Hunter simply on the premise that I wanted to use up stuff from the stash. There wouldn't be a lot to gain from using these resin wings on a Revell kit since it is easy to modify the kit wing and from the way the parts are engineered you might think a 'straight' wing issue is on the cards. The Revell kit comes with the small pipe. I do now have a spare (Airfix) pipe that could be grafted onto a Revell fuselage, although again there was talk of Revell issuing a later version and some boxings of the F6 actually contained alternative pipes.

peebeep

The Revell kit comes with the small pipe. I do now have a spare (Airfix) pipe that could be grafted onto a Revell fuselage, although again there was talk of Revell issuing a later version and some boxings of the F6 actually contained alternative pipes.

There was an earlier thread (which I can't find) where the "alternative" Revell F9 tailcone was shown. Evidently, some of the early Revell kits were issued with that section of sprue not blocked off - wish I had gotten one. And why Revell doesn't issue a F-9 is perplexing. Same with earlier version with the straight wing.

As to the Revell kit having the "small pipe" - There was another thread that discussed Hunter tails/cones . Based on that thread, I believe it is the "even smaller" pipe of the early Hunters that is still needed. In fact, I was hoping that the pipe in the conversion kit was, in fact, the smaller, more curved up tailcone....

Appreciate the pictures - appears the conversion is not worth the money if using a Revell kit? I think SAM may have had this conversion available years ago, but rather than designing a new kit for the much superior Revell kit, they took the easy way and just reissued the conversion for the Airfix kit

Gene K

Yes there is a smaller pipe I believe, depends which engine fit IIRC.

I would not use this resin set on a Revell kit, simply not worth it. The parts themselves are reasonably cast, although one main failing is that the pipe is cast virtually solid and requires drilling out. This resin set came out sometime during 2001-2002 and pre-dates the Revell F6. I think I might have bought the set at Southern Expo in 2002.

peebeep

.... This resin set came out sometime during 2001-2002 and pre-dates the Revell F6. I think I might have bought the set at Southern Expo in 2002.

I'm glad to hear that's an old set - and not the NEW SAM set(s). The new sets, I understand, are also for the Airfix kit, but I haven't seen a review or pictures (and not listed on the SAM site yet). I still have hope, then!

Gene K

I think it is some kind of conspiracy, we get a fairly decent hunter in 72nd that has now been around for acouple of years and no-one will bring out a simple backdate set for it (just a skinny tail pipe would do),i believe pavla has a prototype conversion set but if all you need or want is the pipe it could get expensive to do a few pre mk6`s.I saw an article in one of the mags cant remember wich but they reduced the size of a mk6 pipe in 48th or 32nd by reinforcing the inside with filler before sanding to shape should work in 72nd till the " perfect" bit of resin comes along.

I saw an article in one of the mags cant remember wich but they reduced the size of a mk6 pipe in 48th or 32nd by reinforcing the inside with filler before sanding to shape should work in 72nd till the " perfect" bit of resin comes along.

If you recall the article, I'd appreciate a heads up!

Does anyone know what's happening with the A2Zee conversions that are are talked about here ?

Gene K

Sorry about that but i think i got the article a little wrong its in SAMI vol 5/12 and the guy uses a drop tank to convert the tail pipe and A2Zee is advertiseing in the most recent copy of SAMI.