A-1 Skyraider -> Navy AEW

Stebos

Here's my build. First up the box and sprues:

aew%20box.jpg

aew%20sprue.jpg

Surprising number of bits I thought.

Looking over the article, stuff I need to source will be some dope (best sources for this? art supply shops?), balsa etc.

I've borrowed a few resin parts that replicate what I have to sculpt:

aew%20extras.jpg

This will be very handy for the radome, a rather complex shape to judge from photos & line drawings.

The AEW version also needs bubble windows for a pair of doors, Mr Hall used scrap sprue for his, would it be acceptable to use some portholes from the spares box?

The front of the canopy remains the same, the rear transparent part will need to be sourced. Mr Hall used a section of an airfix Gnat in his conversion. Alternatively it will have to scratched from acetate.

A question about decals though... There's an aftermarket set of AEW markings available. In the article Mr Hall had to take markings from 2 other kits (Frog Sea Fury, Airfix Hellcat), hand paint lettering and use letraset sheets.

As much as I want to stay in the spirit of things, would using a decal sheet be acceptable?

Edited by Stebos

Yep, I'm planning to get those, unless they're deemed to be cheating with aftermarket extras :bangin:

One of the schemes is in Suez markings which is what I'd pick.

Model Airplane International Issue 38 has 849Sq AEW-1 decals (amongst other Skyraiders) on their free to print decal sheets:

http://rjcaviationart.googlepages.com/Skyraider-01.png

http://rjcaviationart.googlepages.com/Skyraider-02.png.

Edited by unlikeKansas

Yep, I'm planning to get those, unless they're deemed to be cheating with aftermarket extras :bangin:

One of the schemes is in Suez markings which is what I'd pick.

I've got leftovers of MA72-019 sheet, after building this one:

Hasegawa_SkyraiderAEW1_3.jpg

Serials and squadron crests for 2 other FAA examples (I think 1 had Suez stripes) - you'd have to source roundels from spares.

PM if interested Stebos. I'm at Yeovilton on Saturday.

It's ok thanks, no spare roundels to hand and getting some means I may as well pick up a sheet. It'll let me repay the favour of the kit as well, the donator will be able to use the spares for their own AEW.

Thanks also for the decal links, no easy way of printing them off however.

Steve, using bits from the spares box is fully within the spirit of the GB, what we are looking to discourage is sourcing and purchasing aftermarket items. With regard to decals, Alan Hall would have used his decal bank and whatever aftermarket decals that might be available, so feel free to go ahead and obtain new sheets if you want to go down that particular road.

peebeep