RLM02

Simon Cornes

Can someone clarify something for me? I have an ancient tin of Humbrol Authentics RLM02 and its a pretty dark grey, with a hint of grean, a bit like a slate grey. I recently bought some Xtracolor RLM02 and its light grey (almost!). Having then looked at quite a few camouflage schemes and kit buld interiors, I now think that the old Humbrol colour was more like RLM 66 - Black grey - as used for night fighter interiors, etc. Did Humbrol get confused I wonder?

RLM 02 varied a lot in colour/tone, from a fairly light shade to a quite dark shade, so unless it is obviously "out" go with what your eye tells you is right. '02 is bit like "What colour is Olive Drab?"

Cheers

Phil

Can someone clarify something for me? I have an ancient tin of Humbrol Authentics RLM02 and its a pretty dark grey, with a hint of grean, a bit like a slate grey. I recently bought some Xtracolor RLM02 and its light grey (almost!). Having then looked at quite a few camouflage schemes and kit buld interiors, I now think that the old Humbrol colour was more like RLM 66 - Black grey - as used for night fighter interiors, etc. Did Humbrol get confused I wonder?

I once saw a piece of ME410 at a talk give by an aircratf enthusiasts group. Humbrol 31 (slate grey) was fairly close but Lifecolor do an RLM02 that is spot on. The trouble with any RLM colour of course is that towards the end of the war the Germans had to use what was left in what ever tin they had.

Tony :clif:

Simon.

I know and remember well the paint you've mentioned.

It was indeed a dark, 'mucky' greenish shade which bore no resemblance to RLM02 whatsoever!

Don't know where Humbrol got there info for that one as a lot of the 'Authentic' range, (a few of which I still have), were, near enough, spot on.

For their day they were pretty good as regards accuracy and I REALLY wish Humbrol would go back to using the mix formula as they went on very well indeed!!

Simon.

I know and remember well the paint you've mentioned.

It was indeed a dark, 'mucky' greenish shade which bore no resemblance to RLM02 whatsoever!

Don't know where Humbrol got there info for that one as a lot of the 'Authentic' range, (a few of which I still have), were, near enough, spot on.

For their day they were pretty good as regards accuracy and I REALLY wish Humbrol would go back to using the mix formula as they went on very well indeed!!

I tend to agree with you regarding Humbrol. I can remember the absolute revelation when I went from 'standard' Humbrol paint to Authentics. Matt was actually matt, all the way through! Thank God for theings like Black 33 which still mix up well and go on nicely.

Interesting that the opinion seems to be that the current light-ish grey is right but Avro 683 says he's seen an actual piece that was near to slate grey - which is the Humbrol 'cheap' alternative to RLM 02. I think the best solution is the lightish grey but with lots of heavy (black) shading!

Simon