Vac form modelling help.

Hi Guys,

I've got a Rare Plane, Vac formed Grumman Guardian that I'd like to build. The thing is I've not built a vac formed kit before. Does anyone know of a good article, online or paper, on building vac forms.

I've worked with vac formed cannopies quite successfuly, so, am aware of "the cutting out process",

but, how on earth do you go about attaching wings & things which have no locating tabs. :confused:

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Aeroclub have a great article here, which is a boon.

Also, have a look at Darius's B-47 article over on ARC and here, Graham's Heritage Mossie article here, and my Skyshark article on here.

Welcome to the world of Vacformed models... challenging & great fun to build ^_^

Aeroclub have a great article here, which is a boon.

Also, have a look at Darius's B-47 article over on ARC and here, Graham's Heritage Mossie article here, and my Skyshark article on here.

Welcome to the world of Vacformed models... challenging & great fun to build ^_^

Maybe its just me? But I read that to say scarey and evil. :whistling:

Thanks Guys,

I've downloaded the articals for reference during the build.

I'm looking forward to trying somthing a bit different from my usuall battles with old AMT truck & car builds.

I'll post some "in progress stuff" if thats ok.

Many thanks again.

Go for it - vac form are very satisfying - and assuming you have the forbidden igredient - common sense- you should not have a problem - fixing the wings - try a "spar" stub - often better and easier that the "pins". Plenty of help available on this site anyway.

First step - hold the sheet up to the light. Look for light areas which are thin plastic. Especially around wing roots, radomes etc. These are usually best strengthened before you separate the parts.

Some use superglue for this, I use milliput (I find it easier to sand when set)