Hasegawa FG1 Phantom

Monty Python

I have just got hold of Hasegawa's F4J and Revell's FGR2 Phantoms, these will go into my stash. I would also like to get hold of Hasegawa's FG1 Phantom. The F4J that I have is not the high grade edition but it does have the recessed panel lines. The Revell FGR2 is I believe the reboxed Hasegawa kit and also has recessed panel lines.

Could somebody tell me what the kit number or what the box art is for the FG1 with recessed panel lines as I don't want to end up having to do a rescribe job if I get hold of the wrong one.

TIA

Chris

:bouncy:

The box art for the RN FG-1 kit has a front three-quarter view of one being shot off the catapult and is quite striking.

Can't remember the kit number but I'm sure KingKit had a few last time I looked. The RAF boxing artwork escapes me for the moment.

Hi Chris,

have just gone through my loft collection today and the following may help!

P15 was the RN version with the usual Dk Sea Grey/White scheme

P17 was the RAF version once tx in this case to 111 Sqdn in grey scheme.

The High Grade version was I think CH8 for the Boscombe Down Rasberry Ripple version inc the diff nose cone profile.

You can also get;

09331 FG1 Black Mick of 111Sqdn now OOP. I got mine on e-bay recently for a good price.

Most people trash the Hasegawa RAF/RN Godess of the sky but I love her and have many a version to make with aka Airdoc, Xtradecal's etc.

With Aires, Pargon, Eduard, Seamless Suckers, Xtradecals, and True Details, sets a stunning Tooooomb is possible.

All the extras are great but just making a kit is enjoyment alone!

Enjoy this venerable lady. She is beautiful to look at but was bit of a B to work on!

I have just got hold of Hasegawa's F4J and Revell's FGR2 Phantoms, these will go into my stash. I would also like to get hold of Hasegawa's FG1 Phantom. The F4J that I have is not the high grade edition but it does have the recessed panel lines. The Revell FGR2 is I believe the reboxed Hasegawa kit and also has recessed panel lines.

Could somebody tell me what the kit number or what the box art is for the FG1 with recessed panel lines as I don't want to end up having to do a rescribe job if I get hold of the wrong one.

TIA

Chris

:bouncy:

All of the Hasegawa British Phantoms have recessed panel lines.

IIRC it is only the F-4B/N and F-4C/D boxings that were originally made as raised panel line kits.

The original RN marked FG.1 kit can be difficult to find and is usually pretty darned expensive, look for the RAF version of the FG.1, with the 43 Sqdn aircraft on the boxtop, and if you want RN markings both Aeromaster and Model Alliance have released sets.

All of the Hasegawa British Phantoms have recessed panel lines.

IIRC it is only the F-4B/N and F-4C/D boxings that were originally made as raised panel line kits.

The original RN marked FG.1 kit can be difficult to find and is usually pretty darned expensive, look for the RAF version of the FG.1, with the 43 Sqdn aircraft on the boxtop, and if you want RN markings both Aeromaster and Model Alliance have released sets.

Its not 43 sqn on the box art ,its the co's bird ,111 Sqn with the black spine and tail which was one of the first FG1's to be scrapped at Wattisham.. :angrysoapbox.sml: The swines...

Early Hasegawa F4J's had raised panel lines. its the one with it coming into land on the carrier.

Cheers,

Neil

I stand correct on the panel lines. What threw me was an 'in the box' review for the FG1, 111sq, on the web somewhere that stated the panel lines were raised engraved. Whatever that means.

Thanks for the help. May have a go for one in the future on ebay.

Chris

Its not 43 sqn on the box art ,its the co's bird, 111 Sqn.

Your right, I'm easily confused and the memory doesn't work properly this early on a Saturday morning.

Early Hasegawa F4J's had raised panel lines. its the one with it coming into land on the carrier.

I couldn't remember if the J had been released with both raised and recessed lines, and IIRC Hasegawa confused the issue further by using the same artwork on a limited re-release of the newer recessed line kit, but it was in one of the new style boxes with the white surround so it should be easy to tell apart.

Here's the F-4N, with the raised panel lines. (Second release, PT10, VF-302 decals from Aeromaster)

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

The first release for the F-4J (P1, kit decals)

DSC00019.jpg

This one had raised panel lines like the other Phantoms, but has since been released with VF-84 markings with the new tooling

The current F-4J, with recessed panel lines (PT6, VF-74 decals from EagleStrike)

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

The USN Phantoms (J/S anyway) seemed to benefit from the British F-4 kits as the cockpit is more accurate for a naval F-4, and the details are better, but the inner wing pylons still have raised details on them.

The Hi-Grade F-4Js have raised panels but have some very nice extras. :bouncy:

Joel

Here's the F-4N, with the raised panel lines. (Second release, PT10, VF-302 decals from Aeromaster)

The USN Phantoms (J/S anyway) seemed to benefit from the British F-4 kits as the cockpit is more accurate for a naval F-4, and the details are better, but the inner wing pylons still have raised details on them.

The Hi-Grade F-4Js have raised panels but have some very nice extras. :bouncy:

Joel

Hi Joel- some extremely nice looking PROPER Phantom models there. very nice indeed.

A question for you as you obviously know your Phantoms.;

Do you think that possibly the Tamiya 1/32 F-4 is just too "tubby?" it looks that way to me when looking at googled pics on he web- any views?

Rich

Hi Rich, thank you for the very kind comments. I've always loved Phantoms, and while on holiday I have been reading about them all week! The USN phantoms, at least the LGG / White ones always seemed so clean, most of the time anyway. That's one of the reasons I like doing them, but any Phantom is great. (disclaimer added to appease brit toom phans!)

About the Tamiya Phantom, I have just had a very close look at a hase 1/48, J and a tamy 1/32 J in JAMARC (my boneyard!)

Whether its to do with the landing gear, which looks (a bit) delicate in 1/48, but capable of taking a 3 wire in 1/32, or the tailpipes, which are undersized in diameter in 1/32, I don't know. I think if it is over chunky, its subtle. I looked at both from many angles, and there was no glaring differences, to my eyes anyway. In the flesh, the kit is great.

I have spent hours looking over the F-4J at Duxford, which is in VF-74 markings, and the real thing is such a contridiction, very subtle curves, sharp angles and edges and smooth points. If an aircraft can be beautiful and ugly, graceful and brutal at the same time, the Phantom is it. Nothing else, for me anyway, can bring about that look and character.

Thanks again, Joel

Edited by Bandagon 106