What colour Blue ?

Paddy

Looking through the FAA exhibits, completed models and Kit instructions, the variety of Blues used on RN WWII aircraft is baffling to me :-))

Obviously this is faded a bit but any idea's what colour this is ?

153.jpg

Thanks in advance...

That airframe is the FAA Museum's KD431, which has been used as a sort of "time capsule," with many months of work stripping off layers of paint, to reveal the original finishes and markings underneath, so don't use that as a guide to service finishes. There's a very good book "Corsair KD431 the time capsule fighter," describing the process, and what the museum staff discovered, by David Morris, published by Sutton Publishing, ISBN 0-7509-4305-X. Visitors to next week's show, at Yeovilton, should be able to closely inspect the finished item, which has been, largely, left as it is. Certain areas of fabric have been replaced, hence the rather "patchwork" appearance on the outer wing. Apparently the process is to be repeated on another airframe (not absolutely sure, but it could be the Wildcat.)

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

That airframe is the FAA Museum's KD431, which has been used as a sort of "time capsule," with many months of work stripping off layers of paint, to reveal the original finishes and markings underneath, so don't use that as a guide to service finishes. There's a very good book "Corsair KD431 the time capsule fighter," describing the process, and what the museum staff discovered, by David Morris, published by Sutton Publishing, ISBN 0-7509-4305-X. Visitors to next week's show, at Yeovilton, should be able to closely inspect the finished item, which has been, largely, left as it is. Certain areas of fabric have been replaced, hence the rather "patchwork" appearance on the outer wing. Apparently the process is to be repeated on another airframe (not absolutely sure, but it could be the Wildcat.)

Edgar

The Wildcat/Martlet is proceeeding down that route - with some interesting results!!

I just got my ticket to the FAM show next week and will have camera in hand to do a few walk-rounds :-)) Do you think they would mind if i took a few bottles of Blue paint with me a dabbed a bit here and there on their Hellcat to find a colour match ?? ( Can you still get keel hauled by the Navy )

That Blue sort of looks right all the same ?

Edited by Paddy

I just got my ticket to the FAM show next week and will have camera in hand to do a few walk-rounds :-)) Do you think they would mind if i took a few bottles of Blue paint with me a dabbed a bit here and there on their Hellcat to find a colour match ?? ( Can you still get keel hauled by the Navy )

That Blue sort of looks right all the same ?

Sad, I know, but I did walk around the FAA museum show one year, having made up a card with swatches of colour painted on it and comparing it with the exhibits.

I came to very few conclusions except that the Revell Sky was a probably better reflection of the exhibits than Humbrol, but that the Humbrol Extra Dark Sea Grey was good.. Of course, it doesn't account for scale effects (or indeed lighting), nor the fact that exhibits have been re-painted, or have aged/faded, so proves nothing really!