Mosquito B XX

avro683

I've been looking on t'internet for a decent pic of Mosquito KB259 as that's what I'd like to finish my recently acquired Revell kit as but I can only seem to find pics of the Corgi model and most of them are either head-on or too small to be of any use.

Has anyone got any decent references please?

TIA

Tony :clif:

edit: serial number should be KB267, not KB259. Sorry for any confusion caused.

:clif:

Edited by avro683

A little more info on KB259 please.

Phil

I've been looking on t'internet for a decent pic of Mosquito KB259 as that's what I'd like to finish my recently acquired Revell kit as but I can only seem to find pics of the Corgi model and most of them are either head-on or too small to be of any use.

TIA

Sorry. KB259 was the 627 sqn Mosquito in which Guy Gibson met his end in 1944 on the return leg of a Pathfinder mission. I know the code letters are AZ-E which I can bodge from the kit decals but I don't know the colour scheme of the aircraft. Logic tells me it's similar to the box art on the new kit but I don't want to count any chickens (or Mosquitos come to that).

Edited by avro683

PM me with your postal address, i will send you the (ADS) decals with the paint scheme ( as far as is known) for that machine, I knew the serial rang a bell!

Incidentally, do you know what 627 Sqdn thought was the reason for Gibsons crash?

Phil

Sorry. KB259 was the 627 sqn Mosquito in which Guy Gibson met his end in 1944 on the return leg of a Pathfinder mission. I know the cade letters are AZ-E which I can bodge from the kit decals ut I don't know the colour scheme of the aircraft. Logic tells me it's similar to the box art on th new kit but I don't want to count any chickens (or Mosquitos come to that).

PM me with your postal address, i will send you the (ADS) decals with the paint scheme ( as far as is known) for that machine, I knew the serial rang a bell!

Incidentally, do you know what 627 Sqdn thought was the reason for Gibsons crash?

Phil

PM inbound, Many thanks!

Tony,

Warpaint Special No 3 has a profile on KB195 AZ*B of 627 Squadron in June 1944 - Standard Day Bomber camo - DG/OG/MSG with dull red codes and Night spinner and serials. At that time it also had D-Day Invasion stripes.

HTH

Tim

Edited by timbo33

The strange thing is, when you put the incorrect serial initially, I knew exactly what Aircraft you were talking about!

Phil

TIA

edit: serial number should be KB267, not KB259. Sorry for any confusion caused.

:clif:

Mosquito B.Mk.XX, KB267, reached the UK (From Canada) on the 30th of May 1944, fitted out at 13 MU and delivered to 139 Sqdn on the 8th of July, ten days later it was passed on to 627 Sqdn at Woodhall Spa, A/C lost on the 19th of Sepember 1944.

Phil

Mosquito B.Mk.XX, KB267, reached the UK (From Canada) on the 30th of May 1944, fitted out at 13 MU and delivered to 139 Sqdn on the 8th of July, ten days later it was passed on to 627 Sqdn at Woodhall Spa, A/C lost on the 19th of Sepember 1944.

Phil

Thanks Phil. It's good to add aircraft history to a model.

Tony,

I have only ever found one photo of KB267, and that was taken from inside the cockpit! The decals were put together from black and white photos and colour film of 627 Sqdn A/C shot during 1944.

Phil

Thanks Phil. It's good to add aircraft history to a model.