Bf 109 in 1/72nd

Simon Cornes

Does anyone have any experience with the Academy 109G-6 or G14 ? Are the kits worth buying, they're certainly very affordable, also the Heller 109K? Finally, any thought about Hobby Boss 109's? Bearing in mind the HB kits are a similar price to Academy then I would have thought Academy would be the best buy but I would appreciate the opinions of those who know more/better!

Thanks

Simon

How concerned are you about accuracy? The best, but not cheapest, kits are from Fine Molds, every other kit available has greater or lesser flaws. I don't recall the criticisms of the Academy kit: it certainly isn't awful but wasn't praised. The Heller 109K was thought a superb model when it came out and is still quite nice in comparison with the alternatives (other than FM) but lacks the asymmetry on the cowl, has a propellor that is back to front, and is not up to current standards of surface finish or interior fit. I've only glanced at the HobbyBoss but they don't look convincing.

For a 109G-6 I'd wait a few months until the Airfix one appears. If is is any good it will be easy to create a decent G-14 from it.

You don't mention the Revell G-10: this lacks asymmetry, has too small a prop, and the undercarriage needs to be moved.

Quickboost do replacement props and spinners, so those and a bit of modelling skills would improve the Revell and Heller kits. Avoid all Heller other than the K.

Frankly, unless you are very limited in hobby funds, for the price it is probably worth buying either the HobbyBoss or Academy kits just to make your own judgements. They cost less than the coffee and bun you'll eat whilst looking at them.

The Heller 109K was always a nice kit to build, apart from the few problems mentioned above. Beware the boxing though, as there were two kits released as 109Ks. The first being very similar to their G kit but with the taller tail and then a proper K series which is the one we all know and love. If it's one of their old black boxes, the tell tale sign is the swastika on the fin. If it's blanked out, it's the later kit.

A-Model do a 109K at reasonable price. I'm not sure which one their current tooling is - the first one was a copy of the Heller kit with some added detail and I *think* their newer one is a pirate of the Fine Moulds one.

The Academy 109Gs. I'm not sure but there's something not quite right with them. The tailplanes look too square and the u/c track seems too wide. As Graham says, may be better to wait for the Airfix one.

The Heller 109K was always a nice kit to build, apart from the few problems mentioned above. Beware the boxing though, as there were two kits released as 109Ks. The first being very similar to their G kit but with the taller tail and then a proper K series which is the one we all know and love. If it's one of their old black boxes, the tell tale sign is the swastika on the fin. If it's blanked out, it's the later kit.

A-Model do a 109K at reasonable price. I'm not sure which one their current tooling is - the first one was a copy of the Heller kit with some added detail and I *think* their newer one is a pirate of the Fine Moulds one.

The Academy 109Gs. I'm not sure but there's something not quite right with them. The tailplanes look too square and the u/c track seems too wide. As Graham says, may be better to wait for the Airfix one.

Thanks Mr Wooksta. Well, I'm quite pleased with myself because I've just picked up a Heller 'K' via E-Bay. To be honest, I don't know whether its the earlier or later one as its not turned up yet. I was alsoquite pleased about the price until I look at the Aviation Hobby Shop site this morning and found I could get one for £4.99 - post free! Drat!!! Very useful info about the Quickboost stuff though!

I'm also bidding for a Heller 108 and wonder what the right price should be. There a several on E-Bay at the moment but I would have thought £5 + postage was about right? Or do I need educating?

Even if you get the original Heller K, it's not too bad as it's a reasonable 109G-14 for it's age, although the tail is a bit too small. It's not that accurate but builds up nicely and Heller did get the undercarriage track right. Heller's G-6 isn't too bad either but best picked up cheap. Their 109B/C is a beauty too.

A fiver for the Heller Bf 108 is a decent price as it's a cracking little kit and still the only game in town.

Even if you get the original Heller K, it's not too bad as it's a reasonable 109G-14 for it's age, although the tail is a bit too small. It's not that accurate but builds up nicely and Heller did get the undercarriage track right. Heller's G-6 isn't too bad either but best picked up cheap. Their 109B/C is a beauty too.

A fiver for the Heller Bf 108 is a decent price as it's a cracking little kit and still the only game in town.

Thank you sir for your advice! any ideas on getting hold of the 109B/C? I had a quick look at the usual places this morning but no joy. I thought about IMC but I'm in no rush. I presume £5 is about right for a Heller copy again? I really am a Hellr and Italeri fan of old so its a bit sad to find that a kit of this or that isn't as accurate as you might hope - but if it looks okay, maybe thats enough?

Thanks again

Simon

That's right,the Wooksta,the Academy 109's have too "square" tailplanes,otherwise they're "O-kay"

i LOVED the Heller Bf 109K-4,one of the better ones,IMHO.(i DO wish Airfix would re-release it !!)

Cheers Baz

That's right,the Wooksta,the Academy 109's have too "square" tailplanes,otherwise they're "O-kay"

i LOVED the Heller Bf 109K-4,one of the better ones,IMHO.(i DO wish Airfix would re-release it !!)

Cheers Baz

If I remember Airfix did release the later Heller K in their 'Aces' series with Hartmann's markings (? - memory may be letting me down)

Ross

How concerned are you about accuracy? The best, but not cheapest, kits are from Fine Molds, every other kit available has greater or lesser flaws. I don't recall the criticisms of the Academy kit: it certainly isn't awful but wasn't praised. The Heller 109K was thought a superb model when it came out and is still quite nice in comparison with the alternatives (other than FM) but lacks the asymmetry on the cowl, has a propellor that is back to front, and is not up to current standards of surface finish or interior fit. I've only glanced at the HobbyBoss but they don't look convincing.

For a 109G-6 I'd wait a few months until the Airfix one appears. If is is any good it will be easy to create a decent G-14 from it.

You don't mention the Revell G-10: this lacks asymmetry, has too small a prop, and the undercarriage needs to be moved.

Quickboost do replacement props and spinners, so those and a bit of modelling skills would improve the Revell and Heller kits. Avoid all Heller other than the K.

Frankly, unless you are very limited in hobby funds, for the price it is probably worth buying either the HobbyBoss or Academy kits just to make your own judgements. They cost less than the coffee and bun you'll eat whilst looking at them.

Both the Heller K and Academy G-14 turned up yesterday. On balance I'm pretty pleased with both although the K prop looks apalling and I can see why QB do a replacement! I have one query with the Academy G-14. There are optional cannon bulges for the starboard cowling - one seems to have a small scoop at the bottom edge. Which part should be used with which decal option - either Hartman's winter camouflaged jobby or the alternative? Also, there are 2 elevator trim wheels, correct me if I'm wrong but I think one goes on top of the other (no interior info I'm afraid, just a vague recollection! The Academy tailplanes certainly seem to be very 'square' but a couple of strokes with the wet and dry should sort them out!

Simon