Airfix 1/48 Canberra B.2

Stephen

-Does anyone know the changes to build a E.15 ? I understand this is a B.2 with different aerials but is there an easy way to identify them from the B.2 ? If not then...

Cheers,

Ed

Ed,

The E15 was an avionic updated B Mk15, a modified B6 not B2 Im afraid.

Tony, youre more than welcome :thumbsup2:

Bex von Canberra :nerd:

Are you gonna stop moaning about the delays in releasing the B.2 now? :lol:

It wasn't moaning, it was a bit of lobbying....worked dinnit?

Anyway, I'm a very happy bunny now.

Oh, did I mention that I want a decent injected kit of a Meteor F4, F8 and PR10 now?

My answers in red bold.

HTH

Bex

I think you'll find that the erstwhile Mr Adams will be on the case for conversion bits.......along with a couple of others probably. :frantic::thumbsup::D

I think you'll find that the erstwhile Mr Adams will be on the case for conversion bits.......along with a couple of others probably. :frantic::thumbsup::D

If he's got any left!

Tony :clif:

Just noted that it has 213 Sqn markings in the kit AND says on the box B(I)6!!!

I know that the B(I)8 and PR9 sprues contain the different wheels, so this boxing should have them too...so you can build the B2 (or derivatives) AND B6 (and derivatives) - good news!!

AND anyone wanting to build a PR3 or 7 (Rich?) ( Oh hell yeah Bill! - R edit! ) now's your chance - just add the 14" extension to either B2 or B6 respectively and bob's your whatname......

I keep telling myself I don't have room for a 1/48th scale Canberra, really I don't. And I don't have time to build it, far too many other things to do.

Then I go back to the old Argyll Models shop in Glasgow in 1973 and me walking out the door with the original 1/72 scale B(I)6 kit under my arm, and I just know I've got to get me one of these!

John

Jeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Bexy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Font of all knowledge Cranberry or WHAT!!! You go girl! Did you swallow a reference book as a child?

You definatly know your stuff. Be prepared for some incoming PM's when the TSR-2 is off the bench as I have 1 of each of the Airfix Canberras awaiting my attention

Mark (Von Knowbuggerallaboutcanberras)

Jeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Bexy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Font of all knowledge Cranberry or WHAT!!! You go girl! Did you swallow a reference book as a child?

You definatly know your stuff. Be prepared for some incoming PM's when the TSR-2 is off the bench as I have 1 of each of the Airfix Canberras awaiting my attention

Mark (Von Knowbuggerallaboutcanberras)

Ed, youre welcome :thumbsup2:

Mark,

I fell in love with Canberras back in 1990, and Ive been studying them ever since, and I also have probably the two best Canberra books going, Bee Beamont & Robert Jacksons books are IMHO the best.

Any questions, just fire away

Bex

Mark,

I fell in love with Canberras back in 1990, and Ive been studying them ever since, and I also have probably the two best Canberra books going, Bee Beamont & Robert Jacksons books are IMHO the best.

Bex

Well bravo to you thats all I can say. We need more people like you in this world. Believe me, the questions will be coming thick and fast when the white thing is done!! The Canberra is an aircraft that I've always liked the look of but never built,

Mark

Mark,

Bex

And Barry Jones' book?

That's the one, the Crowood book.

A good book, however has many individual factual aircraft errors. one example, WH773 is quoted in that book with a first flight date of 28th ish (thats off the top of my head) October 1953, when it was in the London Christchurch Race from the 8th October 53 with 540 Sqn, its actual FFD was 16 Aug 1953. Silly errors I know, but, its not the point, especially as Ken Delve was meant to be the RAF's Canberra Historian.

Bex

A good book, however has many individual factual aircraft errors. one example, WH773 is quoted in that book with a first flight date of 28th ish (thats off the top of my head) October 1953, when it was in the London Christchurch Race from the 8th October 53 with 540 Sqn, its actual FFD was 16 Aug 1953. Silly errors I know, but, its not the point, especially as Ken Delve was meant to be the RAF's Canberra Historian.

Bex

It's really disapponting to learn of the inaccuracies Bex, it's not a cheap book (£30) and whilst there is the possibility of genuine errors in any factual publication, those passed on by someone with such first hand knowledge casts doubts on the value of the whole book a a reference. The pictures are good but for that sort of money I would want to be able to rely on the info contained in it so I don't make an bottom of myself when posting here!

Edited by avro683

my sidekick had a chat with trevor snowden and he said the masters are still being tweaked..no production for a while, mossie is also delayed to later in the year.

ian

That will burst a few bubbles including mine, and why are Airfix advertising the kit as in stock if it isn't? someone needs their posterior kicked!

That will burst a few bubbles including mine, and why are Airfix advertising the kit as in stock if it isn't? someone needs their posterior kicked!

:ditto:

Bex

A few further questions:

-Based on what has been said if the kit has the B.6 nacelles and wheels, I assume you'd still need to do the scribing on the wing for the fuel tanks, so you can "almost" build a B.6 out of the box. Is that correct?

-Are the tip tanks correct? I've seen a bit about this but don't recall if it was Airfix or CA's tip tanks that were incorrect.

-Do you think anyone will do a T.17/A or T.11/19 conversion. I'd do the later myself if I had a lathe as I assume the radome and forward fuselage changes are perfectly round.

-Does anyone know the changes to build a E.15 ? I understand this is a B.2 with different aerials but is there an easy way to identify them from the B.2 ? If not then...

-Is there a good serial number reference for versions? I appreciate it would get a bit complex as some Canberras would have been two or more versions during their life time.

-If building a PR.7 (I'm interested in 100 Sqn aircraft hence the E.15 question above) where would the "plug" need to be? Also what other changes are required for the Pr.7?

Cheers,

Ed

Hi Ed, Hope you're well!

Further to the other replies, I'm assuming (Not seen the plastic yet) that this boxing has different bits in it - to build the B2 or B6. In which case you can build more-or-less any derivative from these two types.

Dunno if you recall that the E.15 was covered in an old SAMI (see my avatar?) and this was built from Aeroclub's B6.

Check this lnk out re the PR7....

Canberra PR7

my sidekick had a chat with trevor snowden and he said the masters are still being tweaked..no production for a while, mossie is also delayed to later in the year.

ian

But yet Stephen started this thread thus......

"My LHS had a large pile of them when I walked in this morning.Markings for 10sqn,213Sqn an RAAF and an Argentinian version.

Stephen"