F-4K / FG1 - XT872 - 892 NAS, 1972

bexwh773

So, for my second and most likely my final entry, I will be tinkering with the Revell 1/48th FGR2 to turn it into FG1 XT872 "004" of 892 NAS, HMS Ark Royal 1972, visiting NAS Oceana, USA.

I also have an AIRES resin FG1 cockpit, AIRES RR Spey jet pipes & AeroMaster "Smokers Part 3" decal sheet and thanks to Moaning Dolphin I also have an extended nose gear leg.

:sorry: about the photos, but our kitchen floor is now the wrong colour for photos of kits :crying:

DSCF2778.jpg

DSCF2779.jpg

DSCF2780.jpg

DSCF2781.jpg

Bex

Edited by bexwh773

Nice kit, might be starting a big scale toom myself soon... are you going to get some slotted stabs for that baby or is it scratch build ahoy?

(and dontcha just love Aeromaster calling Spey engined Phantoms "smokers" - must be mixing them up with the J79 birds)

Nice kit, might be starting a big scale toom myself soon... are you going to get some slotted stabs for that baby or is it scratch build ahoy?

(and dontcha just love Aeromaster calling Spey engined Phantoms "smokers" - must be mixing them up with the J79 birds)

Mish, interesting aint the word :rofl: But definately fun times ahead :yikes:

Troffa, I thought I had a spae set of slotted stabs, I do, but in 72nd :doh: So Im gonna have to scratch build ones for this :pray: And yes, I did have a chuckle or 3 at AeroMasters description :rofl:

Bex

Doesn't the Aires cockpit take quite a bit of grinding away of the kit sidewalls to fit, or am I thinking of some other cockpit set?

The way things seem to be progressing, you'll be finished with this Phantom before I get the F-4B to the finish line.

Gregg,

Yes the AIRES office and the model kit require some serious grinding, this will be my 3rd :suicide: Excellent quality and detail but just a right pig to fit :doh:

You might get there before me my friend, Ive got some serious tinkering to do with this beastie :yikes:

Bex

I have a Hasegawa J that will be made into an S by using the wing from an E and I'll be using a KMC cockpit set on it, as well as as some High Flight burner cans and True Details J style wheels (after I remove the bulge, TD wheels makes it look as though the tires are only half full of air). If I remember correctly the KMC cockpit is supposed to be an easier fit, I guess we'll see eventually. Too bad KMC went out of business, although I think that Squadron bought the rights to at least some of their stuff.

Just be sure to take your time, check, check and recheck the fit as you go along.

Sounds like yooure gonna have blast with that one Gregg :worthy: I darent bugger this one up, its a Phantom and Id never live it down :pray::suicide:

Bex

This kit makes a great salty spook. The aires pit isnt too bad, its just a case of being patient. I wish I had one at the time to put in my recent colonial navy effort.

Still, I must post some pics of my Esci Marines tomb tonight,

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine bex.

Anthony

PS, what colour will you be using for th grey? EDSG is always too dark on the phantoms which seemed to deteriorate paint from the inside out. I will try and post some of my dads pictures tonight, if I get them scanned in.

Gregg,

Yes the AIRES office and the model kit require some serious grinding, this will be my 3rd :suicide: Excellent quality and detail but just a right pig to fit :doh:

You might get there before me my friend, Ive got some serious tinkering to do with this beastie

Bex

Hi, I was going to offer some sound advice for fitting the cockpit, but as its your third all I can say is.....

:frantic: ARE YOU MAD!!!!! :frantic:

Hi, I was going to offer some sound advice for fitting the cockpit, but as its your third all I can say is.....

:frantic: ARE YOU MAD!!!!! :frantic:

You mean you didnt notice before Bob :yikes::rofl: Nutty as a fruit cake is me :banghead::pardon:

Bex von Bonkers

Ok then, the fun and games have begun :yikes: Ive got the wings started, jet pipes and bang seats ready for painting and finally the cockpit tub set up for a nice fit with the nose gear bay, just got the side panels to sort out now.

Bex

Nose gear bay sanding progress:

DSCF2792.jpg

DSCF2793.jpg

Wings, Jet pipes, Bang Seats, cockpit & fuselage:

DSCF2795.jpg

DSCF2797.jpg

Cockpit before sanding:

DSCF2794.jpg

Cockpit after sanding:

DSCF2796.jpg

Thanks everyone :thumbsup2: Yes, those AIRES Cockpit are a real PITA, but definately IMHO worth the hard work as they are beautifully detailed. Hey, its worth it just for the Bang Seats :lol: However, took me all day just to get this far :yikes:

Bex

Ah! Gotta love the Revell FGR kit!!! Had so many issues with Aires stuff tho- went for the eduard etched set and used the kit burners after trashing the Aires ones... Made them look ok after some fiddling and careful washing with thinned metallics! I will be watching this one with interest- wanna do me an FG.1 at some point... The aeromaster decals are absolutely superb! you got a lotta patience with the aires stuff!!! Good work!

Ah! Gotta love the Revell FGR kit!!! Had so many issues with Aires stuff tho- went for the eduard etched set and used the kit burners after trashing the Aires ones... Made them look ok after some fiddling and careful washing with thinned metallics! I will be watching this one with interest- wanna do me an FG.1 at some point... The aeromaster decals are absolutely superb! you got a lotta patience with the aires stuff!!! Good work!

Thanks Guys :thumsbup2:

Matt, Ive fitted AIRES cockpits to an Italeri / Testors RF-4C which wasnt too bad..... ish, and a Revell F-4C which I I did wheels up as I got fed up farting around........... However, this one, seems to have behaved :hmmm: And Ive another 2 in the stash :rofl: The jet pipes are a doddle, the hardest bit is chopping the chunk out of the fuselage :yikes: As for the decals, I hope theyre as fun as they look good :yahoo:

Bex

Hi Bex,

looking good there... nice to see another F4 on the go.. I have a large panel from XT865 which is hanging up in my shed... always fancied doing that one when it was with the Navy...

Well done on the work so far,

Cheers,

Neil

Just seen Bex's handy work in the flesh so to speak and I can report that the cockpit floor and the wheel bay top are so thinn that you can see light through them!

Thanks for the comments everyone, and Neil, get that Navy Phantom built :hypnotised:

As Mish has said, the nose gear bay & resin cockpit floor are both virtually transparent :yikes:

Lastnight was spent building and painting the jet pipes and removing the arrestor hook from the fuselage:

DSCF2798.jpg

Followed by today of painting the heat shield and arrestor hook:

DSCF2800.jpg

Then this evening has been spent cutting off the molded flaps for them to be drooped....... Ive never done this before :yikes: And finish the jet pipes:

DSCF2799.jpg

Bex

Edited by bexwh773